• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did I Get Scammed? Restoration & Lessons Learned
5 5

49 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2022 at 11:18 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

OK, the seller found it on PicClick. And...the Restoration was clearly displayed. This is 100% on me. And I told the seller as well. 

I did point out that on his current listings the only place it shows any type of modification is in the Modification Item. I suggested he again prominently highlight the comic have Restoration.

I consider this matter closed and an expensive lesson learned. Thank you all for your feedback

Thanks for sharing, even the painful lessons are worth learning

On 1/31/2022 at 1:18 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

OK, the seller found it on PicClick. And...the Restoration was clearly displayed. This is 100% on me. And I told the seller as well. 

I did point out that on his current listings the only place it shows any type of modification is in the Modification Item. I suggested he again prominently highlight the comic have Restoration.

I consider this matter closed and an expensive lesson learned. Thank you all for your feedback

So the only one who scammed you is the eBay customer service agent who supposedly told you the listing could be deleted and claimed listings remain visible for 2 years. 

On 2/1/2022 at 4:26 AM, Lightning55 said:

In the history of ebay, it has always been a fundamental that a closed listing remains intact, not editable.  If you could change the listing after the fact, how could ebay police the system, offer money back guarantees to buyers who claim that the item was not as described?  There would be no accurate information to compare, so nothing concrete to base a decision on as to whether the buyer and seller performed as required. 

Ebay customer service reps frequently give incorrect information, or conflicting information.  You can call 3 times and get 3 different answers.  They are far from experts on ebay, and understandably so.  EBay is a very complex platform, a million rules and policies.  They are not highly paid and there is a lot of turnover.

When a listing closes, there is no longer a link to revise it, definitely no link to delete it, or box to check to remove it.  It just stays on your Sold history until it times out.  Even then it is visible to eBay, just not to the marketplace users.

+1000 I spent 2 hrs chatting to them this morning. Multiple people told me contradictory things and they all seemed to be totally clueless. 

Yeah, that's nice. I think the scammer is right here.

Well, was the book much cheaper than you would have paid for the same grade had it been unrestored? Because you may still have a great book on your hands that you got for an affordable price. 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, William-James88 said:

Well, was the book much cheaper than you would have paid for the same grade had it been unrestored? Because you may still have a great book on your hands that you got for an affordable price. 

Unrestored, the comic is worth what I paid for it. With Restoration rating of C-1; drop at least 50% in value. 

On 2/1/2022 at 1:23 PM, Randall Ries said:

Yeah, that's nice. I think the scammer is right here.

Can you elaborate please? I didn't get the gist of this comment, mate?

On 2/1/2022 at 4:18 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Good on you for stepping up and admitting your mistake, mate. Very commendable. I'm sorry you made the mistake, but these things happen in life, unfortunately. 

On 2/1/2022 at 11:56 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Unrestored, the comic is worth what I paid for it. With Restoration rating of C-1; drop at least 50% in value. 

ah so the seller had it super overpriced then. Sorry about that. That makes it a bit more dodgy since him using the FMV of the unrestored comic raises one less red flag for the consumer (even though everything is clearly labelled).

So the listing stated it was restored (albeit in the fine print) yet the seller priced it as an unrestored book. I wonder if any of his other listings share the same level of aggressive pricing?

On 1/31/2022 at 3:22 AM, Lightning55 said:

I have been on eBay for 24 years.  To my knowledge, as soon as an item is sold, you have ABSOLUTELY no control of that closed listing.  The eBay agent who stated the seller deleted the listing before you received the comic is flat out wrong.  Not possible.

You can do whatever you want to a listing that is OPEN, such as revise most aspects of it, or take it down from eBay (delete it), but there is no way to touch a listing once it has been sold.  You can't delete it, you can't edit it.  There is no mechanism to even touch it. 

If you used html that includes hosted photos, and you delete the photos from the host, the images will no longer show.  If you uploaded the images to eBay directly during the listing process, they are staying on their server, again no path to do anything to that sold listing.

Most closed listings are visible for 60 days.  Some longer if there are few closed listings in a particular search.

If you buy something on ebay, and it was a single item, you might have as much as 90 days to still be able to view it.  If you buy from a listing that sells multiple items, and the seller just leaves the listing there and replenishes quantity as sold, you may be able to see that listing indefinitely.

EBay itself will have the ability to see the listing as it appeared when it was sold for a much longer time, depending on how long they decide to leave it on the servers.  But the general public, a window of time to see it, and no access to alter it.

+1

Exactly what he said.  eBay BS’ing you.  You cannot delete or modify a listing after the sale.  Look through purchase history where you may see it through that Avenue. 

On 2/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, Pontoon said:

If it's all over now, why can't we know who the seller was?

Agreed, by letting us know, it would potentially save some grief for another buyer. I am sure you wouldn't wish this experience on someone else. I really don't think this seller is going to change his practices. He knows what he is doing by sliding in one line of text in the description which gets him off the hook from ebay

On 2/3/2022 at 4:13 PM, Lpgk said:

Agreed, by letting us know, it would potentially save some grief for another buyer. I am sure you wouldn't wish this experience on someone else. I really don't think this seller is going to change his practices. He knows what he is doing by sliding in one line of text in the description which gets him off the hook from ebay

Reminds me of that seller that would consider colour touch not restoration and have it in a seperate line. So a listing would read like this:

Restoration: None

Extra Notes: some colour touch

Something like that. Reminds me why CGC exists in the first place. I know we like to person_without_enough_empathy and moan about tats and shoddy service but before them, the uneducated buyer was severely disadvantaged over hidden restoration and straight up overgrading on the seller's behalf. Now, restoration has to be mentionned because there are greater odds of it being found out and non slabbed high profile books almost seem like a red flag.