• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 2/11/2022 at 2:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 2/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Could we get a spreadsheet for the drop out rates? :devil:

Tree Fiddy

That the cost to get one or how many already dropped? :roflmao:

Yes.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 2/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Could we get a spreadsheet for the drop out rates? :devil:

Tree Fiddy

Expand  

That the cost to get one or how many already dropped? :roflmao:

Yes.

seriously-side-eye.gif.2b52de8ba313fc04892e9796a12c68c1.gif

I had a hard time grading the Rex Dexter, and this thread from last year led to me giving it a higher grade than most...

If that Spidey #1 got a 3.0, I figured a structurally nicer copy of the Rex Dexter book would grade higher, especially taking the "Golden Age bump" into consideration... lol

Edited by silverseeker
Made a minor tweak.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:58 AM, Croatbag said:

I think your scratch is just glare

I think the scratch is a scratch. If you take a look at the encapsulated comic, it's still there. It's not just glare. If it was glare in the before picture it shouldn't be in the encapsulated picture. If you look at other encapsulated ASM 300s you won't see this. At least I didn't when I looked at a bunch. Given how uniform the scratch is it may be a production flaw. I don't think I have ever seen this type of scratch. Graders probably haven't either and decided not to take off much for it.  Since we can't look at the notes we don't know if this flaw was pointed out. Oh well, on to Round #3.

ASM #300 CGC scan.jpg

On 2/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, silverseeker said:

I had a hard time grading the Rex Dexter, and this thread from last year led to me giving it a higher grade than most...

If that Spidey #1 got a 3.0, I figured a structurally nicer copy of the Rex Dexter book would grade higher, especially taking the "Golden Age bump" into consideration... lol

I wouldn't have given this a 3.0, I think that was a gift, maybe them being more lenient on a grail book? But the Dexter couldn't be higher, it has more cover missing and it has 2 pieces of the cover missing and the eye appeal is worse because of the location.  This missing chunk doesn't detract from the eye appeal as much as the Rex one imo.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:18 AM, Croatbag said:

I wouldn't have given this a 3.0, I think that was a gift, maybe them being more lenient on a grail book? But the Dexter couldn't be higher, it has more cover missing and it has 2 pieces of the cover missing and the eye appeal is worse because of the location.  This missing chunk doesn't detract from the eye appeal as much as the Rex one imo.

Very good points…books with pieces missing have always been tougher for me to grade, for some reason...

Edited by silverseeker
Added an additional comment.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I got burned by the census on Rex Dexter this round. I checked it on a lark and was surprised to see there was no books graded between 0.5 and 3.0, which is where I had it. I think I turned a 1 point miss (prolly had it 1.8) into a 4 point miss as I settled on 3.0. I'm not mad at all, my fault for trying to use an outside source instead of just grading the book. I'm curious why it didn't show up on the census? Maybe too recently slabbed?

I did the same thing.  I figured it had to be on the census, but it was not and still is not.  I was thinking it would be between a 1.0 and a 2.0, then the census idea tricked me and I went with the 3.0 because there were none in the census between 0.5 and 3.0.  I should have trusted my gut instead.

Second Round:

I went:

Rex - 1.5, Law - 7.0, Action - 4.5, Scoobie - 7.0, Spidey - 9.4

So 2 points in the 2nd round for a total of 6.  Couple tough ones this round with a lot of back and forths

Edited by 1Cool

On 2/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, jlouque said:
On 2/10/2022 at 5:34 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I got burned by the census on Rex Dexter this round. I checked it on a lark and was surprised to see there was no books graded between 0.5 and 3.0, which is where I had it. I think I turned a 1 point miss (prolly had it 1.8) into a 4 point miss as I settled on 3.0. I'm not mad at all, my fault for trying to use an outside source instead of just grading the book. I'm curious why it didn't show up on the census? Maybe too recently slabbed?

I did the same thing.  I figured it had to be on the census, but it was not and still is not.  I was thinking it would be between a 1.0 and a 2.0, then the census idea tricked me and I went with the 3.0 because there were none in the census between 0.5 and 3.0.  I should have trusted my gut instead.

we are not supposed to be using the census for these contests.  That is cheating.

I guess legally it would be 'attempted cheating' since these are books that are not on the census yet.