• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 8:53 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be honest, participants shouldn't be using the census.  Many would consider that to be cheating.  

Well, I am participating in this contest to learn about grading. I assumed falsely that a big cut-out was an automatic 0.5. To be sure I check the census and saw one book at 0.5 and two at 3.0. So I gave it a 0.5. So I am responsible for my own demise.

My 2c ,

Rexy #1 I gave a 1.0. For my money the large coupon cut kills the eye appeal on the front. I've seen smaller back cover coupon clips = a 1.0, but OK. (shrug)

Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11 looked like a 6.5/7.0 tweener to me. Hemmed and hawed and went 7.0. It did seem sharp overall.

Action Comics #242 looked like a 4.0/4.5 tweener to me. I went 4.0; just way too many scuffs/tears/creases IMO for a 4.5.

Scooby Doo #1 -- The Case of the Disappearing Smudge! I said 6.0 but debated 5.5.

Amazing Spider-Man #300 -- I guessed 9.4, but no biggie.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, comicginger1789 said:

5.5 on Action- I was gonna hammer those spine ticks and say 4.5 but I told myself I’m too harsh. I should stick to my guns

Same. There are CGC 5.0’s online with a worse spine. Frankly I think it is a 4.5, but CGC seems to go easy on Action 242. And given I under graded so badly the last time, I gave it a 5.5. I overthought it. :cry:

On 2/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Frankly I think it is a 4.5, but CGC seems to go easy on Action 242. 

Funny, I've noticed that before too...? Maybe those rich purple inks give it a little extra zing in hand.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:30 PM, Point Five said:
On 2/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

Frankly I think it is a 4.5, but CGC seems to go easy on Action 242. 

Funny, I've noticed that before too...? Maybe those rich purple inks give it a little extra zing in hand.

And that too is why I gave this a bump.. 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

And that too is why I gave this a bump.. 

I badly wanted to call it 4.5. Just seemed like too much going on. Spine looks like someone took a hammer to it. Lots of edge tears and creases. A scuff or a drink ring or something in the logo. Supes himself even took a hit to the crotch.  :eek:

On 2/10/2022 at 8:39 PM, Point Five said:

I badly wanted to call it 4.5. Just seemed like too much going on. Spine looks like someone took a hammer to it. Lots of edge tears and creases. A scuff or a drink ring or something in the logo. Supes himself even took a hit to the crotch.  :eek:

I completely agree. My issue was I had the grade almost exactly, then made the mistake of looking up  other graded examples as I do remember this book seemingly getting one of those grade bumps and second guessed my original grade. 

Almost did the same with the Rexy as I kept having a feeling that they would have given it a Qualified grade . Originally on that one I had two grades . One Qualified the other Universal.  Glad I at least went with the Universal.  

This round's results:   :tonofbricks:   

There was so much fuzziness on that ASM that I gave up and just dismissed it all as photo defects.  Plus there was no chipping on the right edge which usually costs copies .2.  Shot too high due to the image, but as I said earlier, everyone's using the same images so that's on me.  :cry:

7 points total with 2 bullseyes :cry:

On 2/10/2022 at 10:32 PM, Warlord said:

This round's results:   :tonofbricks:   

There was so much fuzziness on that ASM that I gave up and just dismissed it all as photo defects.  Plus there was no chipping on the right edge which usually costs copies .2.  Shot too high due to the image, but as I said earlier, everyone's using the same images so that's on me.  :cry:

I called it a 9.6. It looked super sharp, but I wasn't sure if there was something going on at the top left front cover...also thought it was just the scan...

On 2/10/2022 at 7:34 PM, thirdgreenham said:

I called it a 9.6. It looked super sharp, but I wasn't sure if there was something going on at the top left front cover...also thought it was just the scan...

most likely you were right and CGC was wrong.

I was:
2.0 happy I was close
7.5 first thought was 7.0
4.5 bullseye 
6.0 because of the scuff
9.6 because I usually undergrade

On 2/10/2022 at 10:40 PM, thirdgreenham said:

lol nah, CGC was right (thumbsu 

Don't try to cover for them. Five misses is unacceptable. In the future, CGC clearly needs to spend more time familiarizing itself with CGC's standards.  :taptaptap: