• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2022 at 8:22 AM, Jaylam said:

OK, there's 2 books like that out of thousands and thousands. :flamed:

So I can live with a 1.5 only 1 point from a 1.0 but that ASM #300 as a 9.2?  Where did that grade come from with a color-breaking scratch on the spine side covering almost 3/4 of the book? What am I missing?

On 2/10/2022 at 5:17 PM, CGC Mike said:

These are the grades received between 4.5 and 9.2  32 people gave this book a 7.0

3 4 4 23 28 32 19 19 13 5 2  

Mike,

if you add up all the people who gave the ASM #300 grades from 4.5 to 7.5 (all considerably less than the 9.2 it got) you have 113 or almost 1/3 of the entrants. There should be some explanation on how this book got such a high grade with a scratch on the spine that breaks color on almost 3/4 of the book. Just asking.

On 2/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, JustJimN said:

Mike,

if you add up all the people who gave the ASM #300 grades from 4.5 to 7.5 (all considerably less than the 9.2 it got) you have 113 or almost 1/3 of the entrants. There should be some explanation on how this book got such a high grade with a scratch on the spine that breaks color on almost 3/4 of the book. Just asking.

that is not the spread for asm300

I think that was the scooby doo

On 2/11/2022 at 10:37 AM, Jaylam said:

I looked through lots of graded books with large pieces of the front cover cut out or missing like this copy of Rex and found nothing graded higher than a 1.0, so this book at 1.5 is an outlier unless someone can find another book like it graded at 1.5 or higher.

Agreed. A book should not go over 1.0 with a significant portion of the title graphic gone PLUS another corner chunk missing. :pullhair:

I suspect it was given a bump because the book is so clean otherwise. The key takeaway is that (apparently) there are no grading absolutes. 

On 2/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, Croatbag said:

I agree lets talk ASM 300....i see a couple ticks on the back which is why I went 9.4....front looks flawless to me.  It's the color rub from the black parts I guess that are taking it down some more? That's the only thing I can come up with.  I just ignored it thinking it was from when they were stacked up and transported.

Let's be honest... the scan was too small and too grainy resolution for anyone to get a truly detailed read on the ASM 300. Black covers do not translate well in scans. Is it scanner glare? Is it a scuff? Is that a spine tick or a scanning artifact? You're just guessing.

I blew it up to 200% and thought I saw what appeared to be a handful of ticks in the spine as viewed from the back. Plus a little corner wear. I got it right at 9.2, but frankly it was 50% luck. Using that photo it could have been anywhere from 9.0 to 9.6.

On 2/11/2022 at 1:01 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 2/11/2022 at 12:27 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Could we get a spreadsheet for the drop out rates? :devil:

Tree Fiddy

That the cost to get one or how many already dropped? :roflmao: