• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2022 at 7:48 AM, Motor City Rob said:

I was thinking 1.0, but then I found numerous examples on ebay where similar size cutouts were getting a 1.5. Those ebay examples otherwise had very clean covers, similar to Rex. For a 1.0, the cover would need to be in rough shape. I think the 1.5 falls right in line with their standard.

On 2/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, toro said:

I gave Rex a 0.5 because if a Hulk 181 can get a .5 for the value stamp missing that coupon on Rex should make it the same.  :sumo:

On 2/11/2022 at 9:20 AM, Wolverinex said:

Agreed.  that was a huge missing piece.  

I'm too lazy to look for it, but I'm sure I saw that CGC stated a book cannot be over a 1.0 with a significant piece of the front cover missing!

On 2/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, Comics4All said:

I'm too lazy to look for it, but I'm sure I saw that CGC stated a book cannot be over a 1.0 with a significant piece of the front cover missing!

Overstreet guidance says it's a 1.0 if 1/3 of the front cover is missing.  My initial impression was to go 1.5 but I went lower since I wasn't entirely sure how much CGC would detract for it.  I think 1.5 is spot on.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, Croatbag said:

I just ignored it thinking it was from when they were stacked up and transported

I cannot speak for others but I hit that one for the back cover almost exclusively. Stacking/transport stuff is damage. That black cover needs to be black I think, not with any tiny specks. Every speck/rub counts, at least how I see it. Then again, I nailed this book and still got 13 points this round. I knew I was in trouble right away, I can eyeball a simple book well I think but know squat about the small details and how much they count

Edited by Bird

On 2/11/2022 at 8:47 AM, Comics4All said:
On 2/11/2022 at 8:26 AM, Wolverinex said:

Still barely see anything wrong with the ASM300

same. I had 9.6 !

The back scuffing is why I dropped it down to a 9.4.  I almost went 9.2 or even 9.0, it looked discolored on the cover too but from the graded scan I no longer see what looked like bleaching on that right side.

image.png.15a56d2858d869d5a3cfa38432621b81.png

I ended this round with 6 points though, which I am happy with.  2 bullseyes as well.  Action and Lawbreaker is what got me.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bird said:

I cannot speak for others but I hit that one for the back cover almost exclusively. Stacking/transport stuff is damage. That black cover needs to be black I think, not with any tiny specks. Every speck/rub counts, at least how I see it. Then again, I nailed this book and still got 13 points this round. I knew I was in trouble right away, I can eyeball a simple book well I think but know squat about the small details and how much they count

I was thinking the exact same thing (regarding color rub) , but then I found numerous 9.8 examples on ebay with as much, if not more, color rub. I still went with a 9.4 but was worried I was being too harsh. Turns out I wasn't harsh enough. (shrug)

Pretty much all ASM 300 CGC 9.8s have similar white marks on the back. Here are some examples: one, two, three, four. I would guess it's from the printing process.

I think this ASM 300 suffered the most from having the lower resolution images. From these pictures it seems almost impossible to differentiate between legit scuffs and the marks that you can see on those 9.8s.

On 2/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, bayesian_acolyte said:

Pretty much all ASM 300 CGC 9.8s have similar white marks on the back. Here are some examples: one, two, three, four. I would guess it's from the printing process.

I think this ASM 300 suffered the most from having the lower resolution images. From these pictures it seems almost impossible to differentiate between legit scuffs and the marks that you can see on those 9.8s.

Agreed.  I have seen 9.8s that look exactly like that.  

On 2/11/2022 at 10:10 AM, Crops068 said:

The back scuffing is why I dropped it down to a 9.4.  I almost went 9.2 or even 9.0, it looked discolored on the cover too but from the graded scan I no longer see what looked like bleaching on that right side.

image.png.15a56d2858d869d5a3cfa38432621b81.png

I ended this round with 6 points though, which I am happy with.  2 bullseyes as well.  Action and Lawbreaker is what got me.

Lawbreaker was the worst! 

On 2/10/2022 at 9:15 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I was 0.5 for Rex (to me that’s more than a chunk missing and incomplete)

8.0 for Lawbreakers- man that thing looked sharp!

5.5 on Action- I was gonna hammer those spine ticks and say 4.5 but I told myself I’m too harsh. I should stick to my guns

7.5 on Scoob- like zoinks I was close man!

9.6 on ASM- didn’t see a flaw so I’ll blame it on viewing on my phone 

On 2/11/2022 at 10:23 AM, Comics4All said:

Lawbreaker was the worst! 

agreed.  Lawbreaker killed me.  It looked pretty sharp to me.  plus I gave it a bump for being old.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:57 AM, Bird said:

Yes, I've seen many a modern black cover with some minor color loss receiving that grade.  The slightly blunted corner at the top of the spine looks minor from the front, but the defect is more pronounced when looking at the back.  

On 2/11/2022 at 10:25 AM, Wolverinex said:

agreed.  Lawbreaker killed me.  It looked pretty sharp to me.  plus I gave it a bump for being old.

On second look I think the pic resolution cost on this one.  I think by the lower staple on the front cover there is a decent sized crease, that I just took to be part of the printing process.  That's the only thing I could see that could have made me miss so bad.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, Comics4All said:

I looked through lots of graded books with large pieces of the front cover cut out or missing like this copy of Rex and found nothing graded higher than a 1.0, so this book at 1.5 is an outlier unless someone can find another book like it graded at 1.5 or higher.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, Jaylam said:

I looked through lots of graded books with large pieces of the front cover cut out or missing like this copy of Rex and found nothing graded higher than a 1.0, so this book at 1.5 is an outlier unless someone can find another book like it graded at 1.5 or higher.

1238570162_ScreenShot2022-02-11at10_00_32AM.png.09d1c9b08b7c88f444e8eb260c8753ac.png

On 2/10/2022 at 5:17 PM, CGC Mike said:

These are the grades received between 4.5 and 9.2  32 people gave this book a 7.0

3 4 4 23 28 32 19 19 13 5 2  

How did ASM #300 get a 9.2? In the raw picture there is a scratch on the left side near the spine which runs 3/4 the length of the book?  Even the back cover shows a scratch. The scratch breaks color all the way where it shows. What am I missing?

Edited by JustJimN