• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Winter Edition (#1) Round 2
11 11

314 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2022 at 8:48 PM, Wolverinex said:

What were the major defects on the Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11.   Looked pretty good to me

I agree I give it a 8.5.

Mike,

It would be great if you gave the certification number so we could check the grader note.

Edited by Pangolin

• Administrator
On 2/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I got burned by the census on Rex Dexter this round. I checked it on a lark and was surprised to see there was no books graded between 0.5 and 3.0, which is where I had it. I think I turned a 1 point miss (prolly had it 1.8) into a 4 point miss as I settled on 3.0. I'm not mad at all, my fault for trying to use an outside source instead of just grading the book. I'm curious why it didn't show up on the census? Maybe too recently slabbed?

On 2/10/2022 at 8:49 PM, Pangolin said:

There is no 1.5 in the CGC census|

To be honest, participants shouldn't be using the census.  Many would consider that to be cheating.  

On 2/10/2022 at 7:48 PM, Wolverinex said:

What were the major defects on the Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11.   Looked pretty good to me

I downgraded it when I noticed the spine area around the picture frame was missing it's color.  Hit the bullseye on this one after initially having it at an 8.0.  It's a very nice looking book, but there's lots of little things going on with it that add up.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:53 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be honest, participants shouldn't be using the census.  Many would consider that to be cheating.  

I looked AFTER I sent my grades in...and was convinced it was going to be a 3.0! I was steamed once I looked at the census. I didn't see it being the 0.5 on the census, so figured it must be a 3.0 or higher. Good on ya' for using books not in the census.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, PINWHEEL said:

It's a very nice looking book, but there's lots of little things going on with it that add up.

I had this at 8.5 myself. Ugh. I thought the little things were little enough to "not be readily apparent" or some such overstreet language. I saw that stuff but do not know how to account for it. Yet. I'll get the hang of this just about the time I am ready to...how shall I put it...be slabbed myself.

My grades:

Rex Dexter of Mars #1 - 0.5
Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11 - 6.0
Action Comics #242 - 3.0
Scooby Doo #1 - 7.5
Amazing Spider-Man #300 - 9.2

I knew the Rex Dexter would be given a higher grade, I just couldn't bring myself to do it with that huge cut-out.
The Action Comics surprised me the most. It looks horrible.

7pts. and one bullseye. Not to shabby.

On 2/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, CGC Mike said:

I wasn't aware, maybe there should be something in the rules about it then?  Although with a $500 prize and no way to prevent people from looking, not sure this is realistic, and you don't want to put the honest participants at a disadvantage.  Anyways I think this case showed how it's not really a big deal since it's not much advantage if you can't trust the numbers.

My grades:

Rex Dexter of Mars #1 - 0.5
Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11 - 6.0
Action Comics #242 - 6.0
Scooby Doo #1 - 6.5
Amazing Spider-Man #300 - 9.4

That large cut out on Dexter had me wavering between .5 and 1.0. The Action Comics I badly over-graded as I was too generous with the overall presentation. So I think I'm at +8 for the second round. 

Edited by Cushing Fan

On 2/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, bayesian_acolyte said:

I wasn't aware, maybe there should be something in the rules about it then?  Although with a $500 prize and no way to prevent people from looking, not sure this is realistic, and you don't want to put the honest participants at a disadvantage.  Anyways I think this case showed how it's not really a big deal since it's not much advantage if you can't trust the numbers.

its supposed to be a contest for the best graders-not the people who found the answers somewhere.  

I was 0.5 for Rex (to me that’s more than a chunk missing and incomplete)

8.0 for Lawbreakers- man that thing looked sharp!

5.5 on Action- I was gonna hammer those spine ticks and say 4.5 but I told myself I’m too harsh. I should stick to my guns

7.5 on Scoob- like zoinks I was close man!

9.6 on ASM- didn’t see a flaw so I’ll blame it on viewing on my phone