• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Package Lost on the Way to CGC
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Well, my biggest comic-related nightmare has occurred and the postal service has lost my box to CGC.  I insured it for the cost that I paid for the books, but will be out much much more in what I would have been able to sell them for after grading.  Basically ten raw keys were in there, and two slabbed books for Claremont to sign. 

Has this happened to anyone?  Will the post office only pay for what I insured it up to?  Or since I have proof of what was in there (my CGC receipts with estimated values), will they pay more? I know I have to ultimately work this out with the USPS, but wondering if anyone had any experiences.  

If this is over a thousand I’m confident an insurance claim will require proof of purchase receipts.  If your unable to provide this they absolutely can deny your claim, or only pay a partial value.  Good news is many lost packages show up like 8-12 weeks late. 

Hey thanks all - kinda what I figured.  I'm a stickler for insurance, but maybe next time I insure the true value, not what I paid.  So now I wait.

I'm in touch with USPS and they've put a tracer on it (not sure what that means). Right now the tracking appears that it never left my post office  It's been lost since last Thursday, so not at the full week yet to make a claim.  I'm remaining pretty calm about the whole thing - nothing I can do but wait and see.  I'm hoping I just see it show up in My Submissions one day...

I'll report back.

Hopefully, your "box full" of comic books is sitting next to the "box full" of comic books that I mailed to CGC on Thursday, February 10, 2022, that was delivered by USPS to CGC on Saturday, February 12, 2022 (My local USPS is fantastic!). However, in my instance, CGC has, unfortunately, not yet "Confirm[ed] Package Delivery" of my box on its end. Of course, since my box just reached CGC there are, one perceives :whatthe:, many "box full" of comic books in the queue before my box.

On 2/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Tnexus said:

Thursday? Lol. You'll be fine dude. Sometimes packages miss a tracking scan. I've had stuff not get scanned for 3 weeks only to show up delivered across the country

I have packages that have been delivered, even though the tracking says that packages are "waiting for scan."

I agree with all the comments concerning your anxiousness concerning your package. Give it some time. In the future, I recommend with USPS, choose Certified Mail. The packaging of the container is more time consuming, but well worth the effort in the end; e.g., all edges must be taped, not the typical Medium Fixed Rate box a lot of people use. I learned this first hand when I shipped out my SS Danger Girl CGC 9.6, Ruby Red Variant to be pressed and regraded. The postal worker explained to me the difference between regular mail and the benefit of using Certified Mail. Also, Certified Mail is handled differently; e.g., placed in secure cages under lock and key. In addition, due to the tracking & security of said packages, Post Masters are the ones that are held accountable and answer for any lost Certified Mail under their supervision. That I learned from my mother, who’s a retired US Postal carrier and Post Master after the fact. Hope they locate it. 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, Otter1775 said:

I agree with all the comments concerning your anxiousness concerning your package. Give it some time. In the future, I recommend with USPS, choose Certified Mail. The packaging of the container is more time consuming, but well worth the effort in the end; e.g., all edges must be taped, not the typical Medium Fixed Rate box a lot of people use. I learned this first hand when I shipped out my SS Danger Girl CGC 9.6, Ruby Red Variant to be pressed and regraded. The postal worker explained to me the difference between regular mail and the benefit of using Certified Mail. Also, Certified Mail is handled differently; e.g., placed in secure cages under lock and key. In addition, due to the tracking & security of said packages, Post Masters are the ones that are held accountable and answer for any lost Certified Mail under their supervision. That I learned from my mother, who’s a retired US Postal carrier and Post Master after the fact. Hope they locate it. 

You're talking about Registered Mail, not Certified.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:10 AM, Otter1775 said:

USPS offers both, via their website. Click on the link for “Add insurance & Extra Services”.

Certified Mail just means you get back the green signature card of the person who signed for it. It's not the same or as secure as Registered Mail 

Registered Mail travels separately in locked cages every step of the way. Certified does not. And I agree Registered Mail is by far the safest way to ship anything. Plus, you can insure very high amounts relatively inexpensively. 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:28 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Certified Mail just means you get back the green signature card of the person who signed for it. It's not the same or as secure as Registered Mail 

Registered Mail travels separately in locked cages every step of the way. Certified does not. And I agree Registered Mail is by far the safest way to ship anything. Plus, you can insure very high amounts relatively inexpensively. 

Thanks - good to know! I'm going to look into certified vs. registered going forward, and of course lesson learned on insurance.   From what people have told me my guess is that they got the tracking number wrong since it's still showing up as not having been scanned at my PO.  I'm going to wait a week or so to see if it shows up in My Submissions (walkthrough and CC on the box). Nothing I can do now but wait.  Thanks to those of you who have helped me feel better about it and encouraged me to be patient.