• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's Your Biggest Peeve When Trying To Buy On Ebay?
3 3

126 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2022 at 4:26 AM, Professor K said:

And feedback. To me the day they made it to be not an option for sellers to leave negative feedback was they day they officially destroyed it. Destroyed the foundation in which the system was built. 

Like the fee added onto the shipping cost, this was a result of seller abuse.  Not necessarily with comic books, but there were other items wherein a buyer would be intimidated by a seller threatening retaliatory negative F/B if he received it.  I know it opened the door to scammers, but it was about the only thing eBay could do.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:12 PM, ThothAmon said:

As a seller of sometimes very expensive books on eBay before GSP I had zero protection against international buyer fraud. Post GSP, fraud is a non issue.  Even with the high cost I still have lots of international sales. 

when you say 'international' I take it you mean overseas? Because a book going from Buffalo to Niagara Falls is certainly not in the same league (literally a 10 minute drive and you can see each city from the other on even a foggy day) and should not cost triple the cost of shipping the same item via UPS/USPS/FedEx (that includes tracked protections and insurance).

It might be a good deal for such shipments to Europe and beyond, but for most Canadians it is an absolute rip off (and I'm certain sellers see less possible sales come from it, not more)

On 2/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, Sauce Dog said:

when you say 'international' I take it you mean overseas? Because a book going from Buffalo to Niagara Falls is certainly not in the same league (literally a 10 minute drive and you can see each city from the other on even a foggy day) and should not cost triple the cost of shipping the same item via UPS/USPS/FedEx (that includes tracked protections and insurance).

It might be a good deal for such shipments to Europe and beyond, but for most Canadians it is an absolute rip off (and I'm certain sellers see less possible sales come from it, not more)

Why does it cost less for Canadian's to ship a book to the U.S. than for the U.S. to ship to Canada?

On 2/25/2022 at 4:07 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Polar bear attacks. American's have to hire a security detail to protect their packages coming into the country, but for us sending stuff out we just throw it downhill on the ice and it slides right out of the country cheap.

Wow...you just learn something new every day...hm

On 2/25/2022 at 3:19 PM, fifties said:

Like the fee added onto the shipping cost, this was a result of seller abuse.  Not necessarily with comic books, but there were other items wherein a buyer would be intimidated by a seller threatening retaliatory negative F/B if he received it.  I know it opened the door to scammers, but it was about the only thing eBay could do.

Hey how you been? I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that point. Other side of the coin so to speak. Sure there was always the chance a seller can give you a revenge negative feedback. But I believe you could (notice I'm speaking past tense) respond to it in a few words. Better of two evils, I think you were better off taking a revenge neg as a buyer once in a while rather than give the buyers all the power. The power to return that AF 15 you sold them and pull the ol' switcheroo with the latest copy of Teen Vogue......with tracking number of course. And you can't even give them a negative feedback for doing it and to warn other sellers. It only would take one Negative saying "Seller Beware Stole My AF 15" to shut down a scammer buyer. As it is now they can scam indefinitely with nothing stopping them. :peace:

Edited by Professor K
removed picture of the Beiber Fever Teen Vogue used for dramatic effect as it was a bit over the top

On 2/26/2022 at 1:11 PM, Captainwonder said:

I’d have to agree with several points… stock photos! Way over priced books! But when you make a best offer and they don’t even counter! That bugs me the most! 

Don't bother making offers to midnightshadow or whatever his handle is. I've made him offers that were fairly close to his asking prices and still gotten no counter.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:40 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Don't bother making offers to midnightshadow or whatever his handle is. I've made him offers that were fairly close to his asking prices and still gotten no counter.

His books are also on the Pedigree Comics site.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:00 AM, batman_fan said:

My biggest grip about buying on Ebay is the lack of nudity.

There's plenty in the 'raw' section.

Pretty good list.  Only thing left I can think of is the gratuitous use of the term "RARE," SCARCE or other synonyms in the listing headings.

AND when the image just barely leaves out the edges of the comic.

AND when the image is color adjusted to the point the whites are so bleach bright I have to squint.

Edited by path4play

How about getting what you paid for?

Recently got a slabbed book that was loose on both sides with a large scuff on one side. Seller claimed it “happened in the mail” and didn’t take returns. I was going to crack it anyway but something just didn’t smell right. Had to open a case and call eBay to get a refund.

Today, I got a package two weeks late with the wrong book in it! 

Edited by Robot Man

On 3/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, Robot Man said:

How about getting what you paid for?

Recently got a slabbed book that was loose on both sides with a large scuff on one side. Seller claimed it “happened in the mail” and didn’t take returns. I was going to crack it anyway but something just didn’t smell right. Had to open a case and call eBay to get a refund.

Today, I got a package two weeks late with the wrong book in it! 

What's worse is when you get the wrong item but don't notice in time to do anything about it.

I purchased this book as a Four-Color #135, but it's actually a Felix the Cat #2. The book may have matched the picture in the listing (although I'm not positive about that) but I didn't have the covers memorized and definitely looked up Four Color 135 in Overstreet when deciding whether the price was fair.

0703201351561.jpg

IMG_20220305_195854065_2.jpg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/5/2022 at 5:08 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

What's worse is when you get the wrong item but don't notice in time to do anything about it.

I purchased this book as a Four-Color #135, but it's actually a Felix the Cat #2. The book may have matched the picture in the listing (although I'm not positive about that) but I didn't have the covers memorized and definitely looked up Four Color 135 in Overstreet when deciding whether the price was fair.

0703201351561.jpg

IMG_20220305_195854065_2.jpg

Bummer… At least a real nice file copy. I would have contacted the seller the day I got it though. Shame one needs to be so careful.