• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really? Did CGC just jump the shark?
7 7

142 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, gadzukes said:

When I saw the boardie post that he had slabbed the little "#1" piece from Action 1 many months ago it made me remember that I had some small pieces left over from resto projects from over a decade ago.  I had put the little pieces from Hulk 1, Spidey 1, and AF 15 into 3 separate envelopes.

I decided to sell them on ebay (it was kind of a joke, and yet.... I knew they would sell).  They did WAY better than I thought they would.

The Hulk 1 pieces sold for $21 with 6 different bidders

The Spidey 1 pieces sold for $57 with 7 different bidders

The AF 15 pieces sold for $65 with 6 different bidders

All the buyer were extremely happy. 

I would have never slabbed these, but it was fun to see that they generated interest (and making $143 on the 3 auctions was jawdropping to me)

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for sharing! So epic....

On 4/1/2022 at 3:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Still would have been a better idea than grading "invisible " comics.. 

To be fair, they didn't actually grade them. 

Bad Idea told them what grades they wanted and paid CGC to provide them.

CGC said: "pay us for grades? sure!"

On 4/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, Sigur Ros said:

To be fair, they didn't actually grade them. 

Bad Idea told them what grades they wanted and paid CGC to provide them.

CGC said: "pay us for grades? sure!"

Wait, so those invisible books weren't a joke? They were actual grades? Yikes!

On 4/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

One of CGCs many recent blunders. :facepalm:

A fake "invisible" acetate paged book gets a "grade" that is pre-arranged, asked and paid for? In a blue Universal label slab? How does that not cheapen the universal label and brand?

So if someone is willing to pay enough, would cgc also put out yellow-label SS pages signed by William Shakespeare? What's the difference? 

Edited by jcjames

On 4/1/2022 at 6:41 PM, jcjames said:

A fake "invisible" acetate paged book gets a "grade" that is pre-arranged, asked and paid for? In a blue Universal label slab? How does that not cheapen the universal label and brand?

So if someone is willing to pay enough, would cgc also put out yellow-label SS pages signed by William Shakespeare? What's the difference? 

Exactly.. 

On 3/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, eastriver31400 said:

I am trying to put this into perspective. I just can't wrap my head around this. Not sure why it is bothering me as much as it does. 

Does a chip of paint from a Picasso or a chip of wood from a Stradivarius have any value?  My answer is a clear NO.   Its just a chip of paint or wood. 

Once "value" is assigned to the scraps, its as if the original collectible is divine or has magical powers.    

Am I overthinking this?

Splinters of the "True Cross" sell for big bucks.