• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Really? Did CGC just jump the shark?
7 7

142 posts in this topic

On 3/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, gadzukes said:

I find it ironic that it doesn't say "# 1", it says, "No 1" as in "No one".  As in "No one would be crazy enough to shell out $7000 for this".

This piece is part of comic history now.  Right up there with the Stan Lee Cockroach ASM129.  

If it gets resold I'll wager it goes higher

Totally made me think of the Punny Roach.  Which I would still like to own :takeit:

I am trying to put this into perspective. I just can't wrap my head around this. Not sure why it is bothering me as much as it does. 

Does a chip of paint from a Picasso or a chip of wood from a Stradivarius have any value?  My answer is a clear NO.   Its just a chip of paint or wood. 

Once "value" is assigned to the scraps, its as if the original collectible is divine or has magical powers.    

Am I overthinking this?

On 3/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, eastriver31400 said:

I am trying to put this into perspective. I just can't wrap my head around this. Not sure why it is bothering me as much as it does. 

Does a chip of paint from a Picasso or a chip of wood from a Stradivarius have any value?  My answer is a clear NO.   Its just a chip of paint or wood. 

Once "value" is assigned to the scraps, its as if the original collectible is divine or has magical powers.    

Am I overthinking this?

But, what if it was a "tuning peg" from an original strad, or an "identifiable scrap" like an "eye" from one of the women in Picasso's "Demoiselles De Avignon"?

Part of what makes the "1" viable is that it is identifiable. A chip of paint or chip of wood might be able to be authenticated but they wouldn't be identifiable.

Edited by gadzukes

On 3/24/2022 at 10:44 AM, gadzukes said:

But, what if it was a "tuning peg" from an original strad, or an "identifiable scrap" like an "eye" from one of the women in Picasso's "Demoiselles De Avignon"?

Part of what makes the "1" viable is that it is identifiable. A chip of paint or chip of wood might be able to be authenticated but they wouldn't be identifiable.

True.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:35 PM, wormboy said:

They’re learning from the card market, who chop up Babe Ruth bats and Jordan jerseys and sell the pieces for thousands. 

Or uncut sheets for a Honus Wagner and make considerably more.