• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on dealing with a Presser who lost two of my books- where to post this?
6 6

100 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am not sure where to post this- I sent a buch of books to a popular presser and he says he lost the two most expensive books.  I have more detail to post explaning the situation, but need to know where to post it.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

I am not sure where to post this- I sent a buch of books to a popular presser and he says he lost the two most expensive books.  I have more detail to post explaning the situation, but need to know where to post it.

One of the books I had submitted to this board for grading.

Thanks,

Chris

I'd think Comics General would be a better spot than PGM

Hopefully your presser has insurance and a claim can be made after some reasonable/agreed upon amount of time to locate them.

Obviously your 1st course of action should be going over all the steps with your presser. I've never been in that situation so I can't offer any specific advice.  Good luck

As to where you'd post this, we'll that would depend on the desired outcome. If you want them to get as close as we have to a mark against their name (until/unless things are rectified) you'd post it in here. If you wanted more info, to make more of a warning, it'd in the book era section, ie Silver Age, or probably better, Comics General. 

I would hope you and the presser could work it out privately. If they are truly gone and unrecoverable, I imagine you could do an insurance claim? 

I would also caution against publicly outing the individual unless he doesn't make a sincere attempt to make you whole.  

If two of my big books were lost, I would be upset. And honestly, it's less about the money and more about losing the comics (especially if they are uncommon and difficult to replace).

With that said, we are all human and mistake do happen. Pressers are processing more books than ever before and the risk of losing or damaging one is increased.  It's an unfortunate risk we all take every time we submit a book.  What I would hope for now is good communication and an honest effort to make you whole. 

Thank you everyone for your input.  I don't want to out this person, because it's been a civil discussion and I like the guy.  My problem is that he offered to pay me less than half of the value because he had another big insurance claim and can't afford it.   

I'll redact the personal info and make my post on Comics General.

Thanks again,

Chris

On 3/20/2022 at 11:28 PM, iexx said:

Hello,

Thanks,

Chris

take this to comics general

On 3/21/2022 at 1:10 PM, iexx said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  I don't want to out this person, because it's been a civil discussion and I like the guy.  My problem is that he offered to pay me less than half of the value because he had another big insurance claim and can't afford it.   

I'll redact the personal info and make my post on Comics General.

Thanks again,

Chris

This doesn’t sound very professional 

Did they lose someone else’s books, hence the other big insurance claim?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 3/22/2022 at 5:44 AM, october said:

If he lost two of your comics, he should compensate you based on a reasonable estimate of current market value. Period. If he's going to run a business, he needs to act like it. The fact that he has another insurance claim isn't your problem. He should put on his big boy pants and fix the problem he's responsible for.

Agreed

On 3/22/2022 at 7:05 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Semi Off Topic:  I remember hearing about a Facebook guy who offered pressing and undercut the competition on prices and turnaround times.  Dude accepted a boatload of books and disappeared. 

I can’t believe this doesn’t happen more often 

How do two people agree on a FMV of a raw book that may have been improved with the press?  If the books had been graded then it would be a no brainer but raw books fluctuate so much that i can see how one person would say it's a $800 book and the other go with $400 based on recent sales and the uncertainty of the grade before and after the press.  I hope the two parties get it worked out.

A few years ago I also had a presser who was unable to find two comics I had sent him. In my case these comics had both been cracked for a press and resubmit so we were able to use GPA to determine an agreed upon value (about $600) and he offered either cash (in the form of a credit against pressing fees already owed from a larger order) or trade. He sent me a list of comics he had that he thought may interest me and I ended up taking the trade. About a year later one of my comics resurfaced (don't ask me how) and I bought it back from him at the previously agreed upon GPA value. In my opinion, this is how a situation like this should be handled. 2c