• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever seen a book get damage inside a case?

34 posts in this topic

Easily.  Case could survive a bad impact in transit apparently undamaged, as with my first CGC board purchase, a 9.6 Harbinger 1.  The impact detached the cover completely from the staples, but the case wasn't even slightly cracked. Extreme SCS.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Sent in a Thanos 13 and it came back loose in the case.  Sent it back immediately to get fixed with notes all over it and it came back the exact same way.  The book literally shifts about an inch inside the case.  
It graded at a 9.4 so will sell it at a show at 9.0/9.2 price.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:41 AM, Robert Doggett said:

Sent in a Thanos 13 and it came back loose in the case.  Sent it back immediately to get fixed with notes all over it and it came back the exact same way.  The book literally shifts about an inch inside the case.  
It graded at a 9.4 so will sell it at a show at 9.0/9.2 price.

Price it at a 9.6 ,but be flexible. It's how the kool kids roll.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:59 PM, shadroch said:

Price it at a 9.6 ,but be flexible. It's how the kool kids roll.

Like another boarder here stated, the cover is starting to come loose from the staples so the pages are sliding 1/8-1/4 in from the cover. 
I couldn’t price it at 9.6 AND be able to sleep at night. LOL

Edited by Robert Doggett

On 3/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, do-boy99 said:

This book was shipped form FL to CA. 
Packed well, double boxed. The case is not cracked.
Can the book shift inside the case and get damaged?
 Here are the before and after pics.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

RtnDownloadFile (1).jpg

RtnDownloadFile.jpg

RtnDownloadFile (2).jpg

Yes it can, this is a common issue. It means that there are potentially a bunch of CGC 9.8s out there that are not actually that grade.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:28 PM, do-boy99 said:

This book was shipped form FL to CA. 
Packed well, double boxed. The case is not cracked.
Can the book shift inside the case and get damaged?
 Here are the before and after pics.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

RtnDownloadFile (1).jpg

RtnDownloadFile.jpg

RtnDownloadFile (2).jpg

I've seen a lot and I can tell you that it happens very often. Maybe the book is damaged inside, or maybe the case itself. I recently ordered myself a book "and the earth did not devour him", it arrived completely wrinkled, then I used https://freebooksummary.com/category/and-the-earth-did-not-devour-him for it. Since I didn't have time to wait for it to be replaced. So I think this won't be your last case, although I don't wish it for you at all. You just have to ask for better packaging.

I had exactly the same thing!

Edited by estrellmamone2

On 12/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Krismusic said:

Yup classic shaken comic syndrome. SCS one of the worst things…. 

Can’t tell you how many slabs I’ve had to pass on because the books clearly suffered post-slabbing damage.  I miss the early days of CGC when I still believed that once a book was encapsulated, it’s grade would be preserved.  I remember wanting to buy a 10.0 ASM 36(911 issue), but once I discovered SCS....I felt the book probably couldn’t even get shipped to me without sustaining damage. 

On 12/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, Krismusic said:

Yup classic shaken comic syndrome. SCS one of the worst things…. 

I have seen some "impressive" SCS. Thankfully, I have been lucky and, thus far, avoided them.

I have a few "shaken" books, but what really sucks is that one of my favorite books has developed a spine split at the top edge.  I'm guessing the pressure of the inner well must be causing it.  I can't think of any other reason for the spine to split.  It's a "9.8", of course. :insane:

On 12/15/2022 at 2:04 AM, oldmilwaukee6er said:

100x yes. SCS, the creep engine, static, shards, indents, Newton rings, staple rust ... I've learned the hard way that 'getting' & 'keeping' a 9.8 comic are two entirely different things. 

They're way behind updating their slabs.  Not sure why they.  Should add it to the list of other things they're catching up on.