• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Forum - Toxic Environment?
8 8

382 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2022 at 2:52 PM, zuckuss2003 said:

This seems really odd to me, why would/should management or moderators not participate in conversation? I don't think I have ever had or heard of this expectation on a forum.

To both keep the appearance of being impartial and to actually stay out of the weeds and be impartial.  Much more difficult if you are friends or interact with certain individuals and an issue comes up.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:06 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Compared to some of the experiences I've had in person in comic stores or at conventions, where you can't immediately disconnect from the abuse, I've found this place to be quite tame. 

I almost laughed at this...thought you said 'quite lame'. lol

On 4/2/2022 at 2:12 AM, Galen130 said:

I almost laughed at this...thought you said 'quite lame'. lol

Tame, but also lame, that is, weak and ineffectual, now that you mention it.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:40 PM, skypinkblu said:

Dan you were here when Steve B. was here...he went to lunch with plenty of us. He also posted all the time. Personally, I think he created the feeling of the community that many of us love/loved. You perhaps might not have liked that? but it doesn't mean it was a bad move, personally I thought  it was brilliant.

I'm not sure what management classes you took, but the ones I took encouraged me to be approachable.  It seemed to work well, my staff worked together as a team. They might have popped into my office a bit more often than I had time for, but they also brought me very valuable information about how the work was flowing and ideas they had to fix things...

Just as an aside,  you might have noticed, every time Mike posts, his posts are clearly separate from the other "ordinary" posts.

I'm inclined to agree with Sharon's sentiment, modern corporate leadership training casts the role of leaders very differently that 50 years ago.  It make a palpable difference in the culture. The same can be said for online communities. I've been on boards, and moderated boards OLDER that CGC, where the owners and mods are active participants in subjects they are interested in.  The Captain or Quarterback of the team has a very different relationship than coach or front office. Mike seems to acting as a more visible facilitator, and that's helpful. You seem to favor front office. and not the Jerry Jones- Dallas Cowboys style front office. We wish Jerry Jones would go tottering off and play golf and stay the heck out of day to day affairs, and maybe that's your point. But here in the CGC, one of the reason's I've not been a heavy participant despite 16 years and a few years of lurking is because I felt the moderation was too Old Testament wraith of God with no explanation and here comes the fire or flood. Threads locked, posts deleted, things moved around, strike given by some faceless hand. YMMV.

On 4/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Sold! said:

Someone got up on the wrong side of Dicky Evans this morning :blahblah:

Is there a right side of Dicky?

On 4/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, MrBedrock said:
On 4/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Sold! said:

Someone got up on the wrong side of Dicky Evans this morning :blahblah:

Is there a right side of Dicky?

Oh, and keep Dicky out yo mouth!

On 4/1/2022 at 12:14 PM, CGC Mike said:

Well, since I have taken the position at CGC I have not made one personal post or reacted to anyone's post.  I do this to remain unbiased.    I do realize I am not "part of the team" anymore.  I am supposed to make this a fun place for people to hang out.  It would also be hard for me to host the next grading contest later this month without posting.  Anyhow, I will not be changing how I do things here.  That is all I have to say on this matter.

Responding to the bolded part.

What is fun or not fun is subjective. It's pretty clear that a segment of the boards membership finds this place a lot less fun than it was in the past. I don't mean to be insulting but I hope the "fun metric" is not being set by you alone, or any one person.

Edited by Jeffro.

Overall this site/forum is the most comprehensive community filled with amazing knowledge, conversation and books you can buy! I love it hence why I’m usually here once a day or more. 

Yes there are certain people who may run people the wrong way or come off as “rude” or “sarcastic” all the time. Also remember that when you read a message, you create the tone. Maybe you guess correct, maybe you don’t. Sometimes a comment isn’t meant to be as bad as it sounds. 

But again I’ll go back to the ability to block certain people and avoid seeing their posts. I’ve done it for two people on here and it doesn’t change a think other than occasionally seeing a post they made that I can’t see. Which is probably for the best as I might needlessly reply and get involved in a wasted conversation.

Just woke up from a nightmare that my phones predictive text kept changing my words before I could finsh them and I got so mad I threw my phone away

Its all your fault!!!