• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LOCKED - OP request - CLOSED MODS PLEASE REMOVE IF POSSIBLE
5 5

134 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2022 at 9:10 PM, Diamonddave said:
On 4/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, wombat said:

I believe in order to put someone on the PL list it has to be known up front how they would get off of the list. So yeah, presenting vagueness on what  your acceptable resolution would be seems like it would actually prevent being added to the list in the first place. 

I have offered him books to buy to help me recoup the cost, ive offered that he can send me partial payment in cash and books. Nothing has been accepted.

I believe you are going to have to share the specific details of these offers. It needs to be recognized EXACTLY what will constitute resolution. 

Thank you everyone for your input and help so far. 

What bothers me at this point in time is I asked David to please consider a third party to mediate - someone we both know and respected on the Boards (and that covers a solid handful) but David immediately refused. His passionate belief that I am to be held fully accountable for 2 books that were very possibly damaged by a third party after leaving his hands perhaps a year ago should bear more scrutiny.  I know David to be a good guy but his decision to accuse me of "gross misrepresentation" in public without even the slightest consideration that the books could very well have been damaged by the pressing (CV4) and whoever or whatever detached the cover on the Baker after it admittedly left his hands not detached and then find himself further disappointed by auction results - all the while expecting what he unwaveringly determined as "full compensation" from me - is just troublesome in my book.  Plus I believe this could have been better handled privately with some sense of earnestness but for David's steadfast refusal to consider even an iota of fault on his or another involved party's end.  And if we should mediate - what about the potential damages to my reputation esp if David should be determined fully at fault by a third party of our choosing?

Edited by Roger66

Just speculating here but is David seeking restitution in the form of CGC fees + pressing as well? Right off the bat, since you say you are an experienced grader, and you assessed the book to be a 7.0 and not a 9.0 as Roger had assessed. Could the difference in price between a raw 9.0 vs a 7.0 help to settle issues. To keep saying Roger said it was a 9.0 is getting nowhere. I'm a noob compared to you guys but I have never had anyone guarantee me a grade after grading.  The most I got is a guarantee of no restoration.  I seriously don't think Roger ever thought you would hold his assessment of a 9.0 in such a manner. And seriously , you knew it was a 7.0 at the outset. Seems to give the impression you were holding out to take advantage.  Not saying you are but the vibes are not positive . If you dort settle , trust me, you will be the one losing out. Roger won't get nominated and you will get nothing.

It would be really helpful for me if there were some more pictures here.  What I will say is looking at the scan of the CV4 I would definitely not trust either of the individuals grading here, because there is NO WAY that book EVER grades VF/NM.  Soft corners, spine issues, etc.  Pressers are not miracle workers.  What about the other book?  Any good quality scans before it was mailed?  From the small picture I can see, a detached cover is not going to drop that book to a 1.8.  What’s the back look like? Interiors? Etc?  

My feelings on this are complicated.  Buyer specifically is relying on sellers grades to determine the trade, and asked seller if he was willing to guarantee his grades (at least to a point).  Unless I am supremely confident in my grading, I would not make a guarantee, especially with being outside of control of the book (who knows how buyer is going to package it to send to CGC, if their presser is reputable).  To put a blanket “No matter what, this book will absolutely be a 9.0 or above” is just foolish. Seller should be held to make things ‘right’ (i.e. to put them in the place they should have been in had the trade been as advertised).

I will let the more experienced boardies debate who has the winning case here, but I did notice the comment in the first post about the cover hanging by a thread. Any buyer sending a comic in that condition to be graded should not be surprised if they end up with a detached cover - which always results in a CGC 1.8 grade.

On 4/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, Black_Adam said:

I will let the more experienced boardies debate who has the winning case here, but I did notice the comment in the first post about the cover hanging by a thread. Any buyer sending a comic in that condition to be graded should not be surprised if they end up with a detached cover - which always results in a CGC 1.8 grade.

Type in CGC detached cover on Ebay

On 4/10/2022 at 1:26 AM, Randall Dowling said:

After reading this back and forth today, I think it's really best to take mediation/arbitration to a private setting, possibly with a 3rd party if you can't work it out.  There's always a performative aspect in public and I think that works counter to resolution.

After you've reached settlement, one or both should come back here and simply state satisfaction with the outcome.  No need to disclose terms publicly.  But you have to clear any reputational damage that both parties may have incurred by this thread.  2c

after reading everything, some of it twice, seconded.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:17 PM, Pitboss said:

Type in CGC detached cover on Ebay

My mistake, I was sure that I had grading guidelines that specified a 1.8 grade for a completely detached cover (and every comic I have ever submitted to CGC has come back a 1.8). Must just be a coincidence this one also garnered a 1.8 grade. 

On 4/10/2022 at 12:58 AM, Black_Adam said:

My mistake, I was sure that I had grading guidelines that specified a 1.8 grade for a completely detached cover (and every comic I have ever submitted to CGC has come back a 1.8). Must just be a coincidence this one also garnered a 1.8 grade. 

It was news to me when I found out a book with a detached cover could get at least a 5.0 blue label.......which I think is utter horse s**t and you can read my thoughts on it starting here.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:43 PM, Black_Adam said:

I have a Superman 4 with a fully detached cover graded CGC 4.0

On 4/9/2022 at 9:13 PM, Roger66 said:

Thank you everyone for your input and help so far. 

What bothers me at this point in time is I asked David to please consider a third party to mediate - someone we both know and respected on the Boards (and that covers a solid handful) but David immediately refused. His passionate belief that I am to be held fully accountable for 2 books that were very possibly damaged by a third party after leaving his hands perhaps a year ago should bear more scrutiny.  I know David to be a good guy but his decision to accuse me of "gross misrepresentation" in public without even the slightest consideration that the books could very well have been damaged by the pressing (CV4) and whoever or whatever detached the cover on the Baker after it admittedly left his hands not detached and then find himself further disappointed by auction results - all the while expecting what he unwaveringly determined as "full compensation" from me - is just troublesome in my book.  Plus I believe this could have been better handled privately with some sense of earnestness but for David's steadfast refusal to consider even an iota of fault on his or another involved party's end.  And if we should mediate - what about the potential damages to my reputation esp if David should be determined fully at fault by a third party of our choosing?

I'd be on your side if it wasn't for the line where you said "on the slim chance you are not [happy] we can discuss it than and I promise to do what I can to make things right."  So, now he's not happy.  What do you honestly think "makes things right"?  If you were on his side of the deal, what would you want?    

As for "potential damages to my reputation," there won't be any, particularly if you guys just come back here and say it's resolved.  Which really shouldn't be that tough from what I've seen.