• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 10:27 PM, tth2 said:

I hadn't even thought about the Promise Collection, because it's being conducted by auction. 

My comments related to new entrants in earlier days, when markets were much more opaque, who relied on dealers to navigate them through the hobby.

Point well taken

On 4/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 4/21/2022 at 11:27 AM, tth2 said:

I hadn't even thought about the Promise Collection, because it's being conducted by auction. 

My comments related to new entrants in earlier days, when markets were much more opaque, who relied on dealers to navigate them through the hobby.

Point well taken

You raise a good point about the buyers of the Promise books though, if they're new and then lose their shirts. 

On 4/20/2022 at 2:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Pooh pooh about the so-called key Marvels as they show up in virtually every single auction and are pretty much as common as dirt on the bottom of your shoes.  :p  lol 

On 4/20/2022 at 3:34 PM, Pantodude said:

Now, now.  A bit of a broad brush view, wouldn't you say? :baiting: There are entire Heritage, ComicLink and ComicConnect auctions without a single UK price variant of any SA Marvel key.  And a high grade UKPV?  Nigh impossible.....................................Just sayin.  But I can see why you feel that way about cents versions of Marvel keys!   (thumbsu

Are you saying that the FF1 and TTA 27 in CGC 9.0 and the TOS 57 in CGC 9.8 are the UKPV versions, because I got the impression they were just the regular cents version or else Heritage would have pointed this out in their email release?  ???

On 4/21/2022 at 12:09 AM, lou_fine said:

Are you saying that the FF1 and TTA 27 in CGC 9.0 and the TOS 57 in CGC 9.8 are the UKPV versions, because I got the impression they were just the regular cents version or else Heritage would have pointed this out in their email release?  ???

No, not at all. They must be cents versions.  Those issues do not have any UKPVs in such high CGC grades (highest graded UKPV for FF1 is 6.5; for TOS57, it’s 8.0).  Your comment that “so-called Marvel keys” are “common as dirt” could never, ever apply to the UK price variants of any Marvel key, even in lowest grades.  I was merely pointing out that GA does not have a monopoly on scarce goodies. :) 

Edited by Pantodude

Yeah but who’s talking about UK price variants until someone misunderstood that they were in the HA auction.  When people say Marvel Sulver Keys they mean non variants generally 

however looking at the awesome covers in CGCs announcement about foreign editions will definitely fan the rising flames for these cool and old variants.  They look COOL!  And scarce. Imagine them in high grade!  

but which country does one focus on?  All?  Just UK in English?   Exciting that time will tell and weed out the common from scarce and desirable from ordinary. 

On 4/21/2022 at 11:50 AM, Aman619 said:

CGCs announcement about foreign editions

Just to clarify, UK price variants are different from the books pictured in the announcement.  UK price variants are a subset of original US print run (2-5% of it set aside for the voyage across the Atlantic on a ship).  The CGC announcement shows true foreign editions, which were printed abroad by foreign publishers and years later, i.e., foreign reprints under license and typically in a foreign language.  Interesting to see how the issues changed in hands of those publishers under license!  But some issues were also reprinted in the UK years later under license as foreign editions, so some are in English, too, but obviously those are not price variants that were part of the original US printing.  

So yes, price variants would mean books in English exclusively, those portions of the original print run shipped from US to UK during the SA, but also to the UK, Canada and Australia in the Bronze and Copper Ages (called UK, Canadian or Australian price variants, as applicable).  You can see from the covers showcased in the announcement that their language, title and/or design look quite different from the original US issues, unlike the price variants.  Again, very interesting.  

Edited by Pantodude

got it. I just read the CGC announcement in full and was heading over to see how this has been received.  Seems to me that they still haven't put BOTH titles on the slab.  Some collectors Do collect runs of foreign comics but without that info on the label, and in the database, these collectors cannot search fr them under the foreign titles.  At least I think that data should have ben added to one of the existing fields and be searchable.  next time

On 4/21/2022 at 9:55 AM, Aman619 said:

got it. I just read the CGC announcement in full and was heading over to see how this has been received.  Seems to me that they still haven't put BOTH titles on the slab.  Some collectors Do collect runs of foreign comics but without that info on the label, and in the database, these collectors cannot search fr them under the foreign titles.  At least I think that data should have ben added to one of the existing fields and be searchable.  next time

Agreed. And if you put that info on there, you increase the collector interest in them, increase the prices paid, increase the demand to get them slabbed, and increase CGC’s revenue.

Seems like an obvious and needed fix.

my guess is that CGC would need to add fields to their database, not impossible, but not an easy thing to do... or at least maybe in the works.  It would affect the label layout and domino effects down the line.  And to satisfy a still small segment of collectors.  IMO I agree with their current approach: following collector interest mainly in seeking the foreign reprints editions of US key books, and labeling them that way rather than introduce all the various foreign titles. Theres more desmans for Amazing Fantasy reprints as Amazing Fantasy 15! This makes searching by foreign title impossible. But listing them by foreign local titles just moves the search frustration to the other foot. --- US collectors trying to search out the foreign issue that reprinted a popular US comic ..

Hey here's the solution, someone create a separate database linking all the foreign issues to the US originals.  Once that is created, down the line CGC can more easily incorporate it into their systems!

On 4/21/2022 at 12:55 PM, Aman619 said:

For me, the only foreign editions that would be of any interest would be ones with cover art that doesn't appear on any of the American issues. 

On 4/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

For me, the only foreign editions that would be of any interest would be ones with cover art that doesn't appear on any of the American issues. 

Me too.  Which is why I just bought a foreign title I had paid no attention to and barely knew existed based on the CGC announcement.  A GREAT Carl Barks cover that does not exist in the U.S. (pieced together from interior panels) for one of my absolute favorite Four Color stories:

1457212473_1650593104498blob(2).thumb.jpg.9e3bf10b65c7b0fa1d47d00fc528ae49.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 10:06 PM, sfcityduck said:

Me too.  Which is why I just bought a foreign title I had paid no attention to and barely knew existed based on the CGC announcement.  A GREAT Carl Barks cover that does not exist in the U.S. (pieced together from interior panels) for one of my absolute favorite Four Color stories:

1457212473_1650593104498blob(2).thumb.jpg.9e3bf10b65c7b0fa1d47d00fc528ae49.jpg

I do like that cover. What four-color issue do the images come from? Maybe I'll try to find a reading copy.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/21/2022 at 7:38 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I do like that cover. What four-color story do the images come from?

The best of them all!  Four Color 263 which features a Barks cover, a Barks 1 pager, the monumental 24 page "Land of the Totem Poles," and the equally monumental 24 page "Trail of the Unicorn", then another 1 pager, and another 1 pager!  52 pages of Barks art!  Two his best loooong stories!  Maybe my favorite comic book.  Was part of my dad's collection given to me as a kid.

Very hard to find in high grade.  Kids must have loved it.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

The best of them all!  Four Color 263 which features a Barks cover, a Barks 1 pager, the monumental 24 page "Land of the Totem Poles," and the equally monumental 24 page "Land of the Unicorns", then another 1 pager, and another 1 pager!  52 pages of Barks art!  Two his best loooong stories!  Maybe my favorite comic book.  Was part of my dad's collection given to me as a kid.

Very hard to find in high grade.  Kids must have loved it.

:cloud9:

119_5171 (2).JPG

On 4/21/2022 at 11:03 PM, sfcityduck said:

I hope that FedEx envelope means you're mailing it to me!  LOL!  That's a great looking copy of a hard book to find in decent grades.

It's a fine or so, but it has great eye appeal. I blew off Barks in the 70's as something that only "weird old men" liked..... until I took the time to leaf through a copy of Vacation Parade, and then I "got it". This one reminds me of my dear friend Hugh (r.i.p.) who was a lover of all things Native American. He wore out a couple of Edward Curtis volumes I gave him. We have a Totum Pole in the corner of the living room that he carved out of a log. He made a Teepee out of sheet metal in his back yard  that stayed totally dry inside ... stored the mower and stuff in it. It was huge, maybe 10 feet tall. He could carve arrow heads that you could actually hunt with. He wasn't a comic guy, but he fondly remembered the PCH from the 50's, which is what he grew up with. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Here he is....

HUGH DeALBA (2).jpg

Edited by jimjum12

On 4/21/2022 at 8:17 PM, jimjum12 said:

Here he is....

HUGH DeALBA (2).jpg

Great story!  I'm hoping you know that probably the best Archive project of them all is dedicated to Barks from Fantagraphics:

IMG_0308.thumb.jpg.e2412b5799ba11b4fd32904a655525e7.jpg

A must have if you want to keep your comics healthy and be able to read in bed with a bowl of greasy popcorn!

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

turns out I was wrong... the foreign titles ARE on the new labels.  They are centered under the publisher.  I didnt see them while on my phone looking at the scans.