• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $3.12 million Cap 1 sale makes me ask again: Where will this book stand in the GA hierarchy?
6 6

161 posts in this topic

Action 1 and Tec 27 will likely always be the top two going forward.  I think T27 might actually move to a clear #1 in time, considering the decades-long popularity trend in favor of the Batman character, which seems to be accelerating. The #3 book is now clearly Superman #1. I wonder if Cap1 and Bats 1 could now be close to "tied" at the next tier? I'd argue that Cap 1 is more important in comic history than Bats 1, and FAR more significant than Supes 1. What is the future "ceiling" for Cap 1 in the hobby? I think the answer is the #3 overall book.

On 4/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, twmjr1 said:

I'd argue that Cap 1 is more important in comic history than Bats 1, and FAR more significant than Supes 1. What is the future "ceiling" for Cap 1 in the hobby? I think the answer is the #3 overall book.

I'd argue that one record setting and possible outlier of an auction result in and of itself does not mean that comic book valuation history is rewritten. hm

On 4/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, Crowzilla said:

no problem with Cap 1 being more valuable than Marvel #1 (for kind of the same reasons that New Fun 1 or Detective 1 aren't top 5 books).

Tell me it ain't so with New Fun 1 as I had that book in there with Funnies on Parade as part of my Top 5.  (tsk)  lol

Seriously though, I still remember the days when Marvel 1 was considered to be the most valuable book in the hobby, at least according to the Overstreet Guide back then.  :preach:

On 4/12/2022 at 2:24 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I believe there was a day when Feature Book #26 beat both Action 1 and Tec 27! 

Close, but no cigar as Action 1 and 'Tec 27 was up there right from the start although your FB 26 was indeed up there tied in 9th spot with 9 other books including Flash Comics 1 and All-Star 3 (check out the list at the 1:00 mark):  :gossip:

And sad to say, but also tied in 9th spot to this beauty of a book that actually managed to decrease in value in Overstreet Good valuation by $1 in the 46 long years between 1970 and 2016 if you took the Warren Buffet approach with respect to long term investing:  :whatthe:  :tonofbricks:  :takeit:  :luhv:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F0%2F2%2F7%2F22027140%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Weren't there a *spoon* Tracy Feature book and a Dumbo paint book that were also pretty hot items? Mickey Mouse Outwits the Phantom Blot is still on my want list, too, but I might be one of the last collectors alive who is still a fan of that book. I never hear it mentioned.

Cap #1 might be an important book, but it's pretty common compared to Batman #1 and Supes #1, isn't it? So it's hard to see it eclipsing those in value any time soon.

Also, Captain America seems to have the same image problem that Superman does: he's a bit too much of a goody-goody. Younger collectors seem to be more into Batman, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wolverine . . . edgier characters, so I really don't know what Cap's prospects are over the long haul. Time will tell, I guess.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 4/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

...Younger collectors seem to be more into Batman, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Wolverine . . . edgier characters,...

Spider-man is edgier?

I don't read any of the new issues, but the same Spider-man that was always a super goody and in the most recent movie did everything he could to save the lives of the bad guys?

On 4/12/2022 at 7:07 PM, Crowzilla said:

Spider-man is edgier?

I don't read any of the new issues, but the same Spider-man that was always a super goody and in the most recent movie did everything he could to save the lives of the bad guys?

Maybe edgier is the wrong word. He's flawed. He has teenage angst, etc.

He's complex.

(It's been a long time since I owned a copy, but didn't he kill the Green Goblin in ASM 122?)

Edited by jimbo_7071

Bats 1 has the greatest comic book villain of all time in the Jokers first appearance, the Origin of Batman, and Catwomans first appearance. Those 3 factors put it ahead of Cap 1 (and Superman 1, in my opinion, as it's just reprinted material.)

Edited by Krydel4
Clarity

On 4/12/2022 at 5:41 PM, Larryw7 said:

In the early days of comics fandom.

Besides the above Prince Valiant and Tarzan books, another extremely hot item back in the 1970's was Boy Explorers 2. It only went to subscribers after the title was cancelled. Not sure if there's any demand for it now.  

Boy Explorers 2.jpg