• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2022 at 1:51 PM, sfcityduck said:

So it was generally from Redbeard's MH stash to Bechara Maalouf (who we all knew owned the book) to the Canadian buyer (who is not Roy, its his client).  And, per Rob's relaying of Redbeard's cryptic comment maybe there was an intermediary owner or flipper between Redbeard and Bechara or Bechara had a partner at one point (or maybe it was just that the price included some OA as trade) - which is pretty much irrelevant to the present circumstances.  So what is the mystery again?

It is really funny how reading comprehension works. Somehow Roy being involved translates to "a Canadian buyer", and "something else in the deal" translates to "an intermediary owner".

I didn't get that.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:23 PM, MrBedrock said:

It is really funny how reading comprehension works. Somehow Roy being involved translates to "a Canadian buyer", and "something else in the deal" translates to "an intermediary owner".

I didn't get that.

I also don’t get how people are questioning the legitimacy of the sale when there were reputable people involved. 

Edited by Terry JSA

On 4/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, buttock said:

Roy sold it to a Saudi prince who traded it for crypto and stolen art to a Russian oligarch.  Then it was traded to a Canadian for poutine and Tim Horton's donuts. 

I so much want to make a Photoshopped image of this whole scene. Damn me and my need to work for a living. 

On 4/15/2022 at 12:23 PM, MrBedrock said:

I didn't get that.

Some other post said there was a Canadian buyer.  I was not extrapolating from Roy's involvement, but I have no knowledge if that's right.  [Correction:  Richie Rich in comics and comic knowledge is right, I misread a comment up thread that referred to a "Canuck" as being about the buyer when it was about Roy. I am never too proud to admit when I'm wrong.]

"Something else in the deal" could mean anything given the vagueness of the comment (either more people or different consideration -- like a part cash part trade deal), so I speculated.  But does it matter?  No.  The stuff we need to know we know.  Real buyer, real dealers involved, and presumably a real buyer who is just as anonymous as any auction buyer.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/15/2022 at 2:06 PM, Primetime said:

Sounds like you have previous experience with high dollar transactions and Vintage Comics? :grin:

You spelled my name wrong. :devil:

On 4/15/2022 at 2:51 PM, sfcityduck said:

So it was generally from Redbeard's MH stash to Bechara Maalouf (who we all knew owned the book) to the Canadian buyer (who is not Roy, its his client).  And, per Rob's relaying of Redbeard's cryptic comment maybe there was an intermediary owner or flipper between Redbeard and Bechara or Bechara had a partner at one point (or maybe it was just that the price included some OA as trade) - which is pretty much irrelevant to the present circumstances.  So what is the mystery again?

You are leaving out Snyder who owned it before Redbeard, but at this point I'm not sure who owned it 25 years ago is important (though certainly Redbeard wasn't the one who color touched it)

Edited by Crowzilla
Snyder

On 4/15/2022 at 7:51 PM, Crowzilla said:

You are leaving out Snyder who owned it before Redbeard, but at this point I'm not sure who owned it 25 years ago is important (though certainly Redbeard wasn't the one who color touched it)

I should have just guessed, but I also knew someone would know without me having to search for the info. 

On 4/15/2022 at 3:44 PM, buttock said:

Roy sold it to a Saudi prince who traded it for crypto and stolen art to a Russian oligarch.  Then it was traded to a Canadian for poutine and Tim Horton's donuts. 

... you left out the 14 cases of Molson's. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/16/2022 at 3:44 AM, buttock said:

It was only a matter of time before Oleg resurfaced.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:41 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Touché lol.  And nothing against Roy, we may go back and forth sometimes but I have nothing against the guy personally or professionally.  

But when somebody says "it's just as good as a public auction because Roy saw it", that doesn't move the needle.  

@sfcityduck You're right, shilling an auction  can definitely queer data points, and I'm sure it at least "can" happen even with all the sefagaurds the big auction houses have in place. 

But again, that's the beauty of sales happening in public view , they are open to scrutiny and can be questioned and vetted by the masses on boards like these.  

-J.

i knew there had to be somebody!!!!   

Edited by Straw-Man

On 4/13/2022 at 10:04 AM, sfcityduck said:

The dentist and his son must be happy.  The top four books he owns might just be $20M in value based on a sale like this.  

Each.  I said this a few months ago.  I posted on here that the top comics must be worth $20M+.  After seeing that 1 of 20 PSA 9 Mantles (3 are in 10) sold for $5M.  Or was it $10M...it's going up so fast that I forgot.  And that some brand new sports cards are selling for $3M+.

The clear single-best-existing Church copies of AA-16, Flash-1, and MF-73 should be worth $10M+.

Edited by ChillMan