• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2022 at 1:54 PM, Dark Knight said:

Pshhh and no picture!?  How can anyone ask that much without pictures.  Besides, the book is restored so the value is not anywhere near that lol

Well, that didn't seem to hurt the sale of the Church copy of Superman 1 because didn't that as you would say, so-called "restored" copy sell for over $5M.  (thumbsu

Besides, with the ongoing refinement in CGC undisclosed grading standards, isn't it pretty much a given that most books (even if they are residing inside a blue Universal slab) would have been considered to be "restored" if you go by the old definition of restoration that was in place prior to CGC being outed on these boards here back in 2005 or thereabouts.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/28/2022 at 9:47 PM, sfcityduck said:

My argument against MF 73 is that golden age GA and Aquaman were third tier heroes.  They weren't in the JSA.  And they weren't on MF 73's cover or many covers at all.  They were backups.  Many DC characters had a much higher profile than GA and Aquaman,  Plus it is not an early GA book.  So in the hierarchy of DC GA books, it is a reasonable position that it is not a top DC  and is easily below Action 1, D27, Superman 1, Batman 1, All-American 16, Flash 1, All-Star 8, MF 52, Adventure 40, and is, at best, fighting for the 10 spot with MF 55, Sensation 1, WW 1, GL 1, D 1 & 31 & 33 & 38, Action 7, and maybe others.

Aquaman was literally so minor that he didn't have a single cover appearance in the Golden Age. Can you think of any other DC GA Heroes that didn't even get a headshot insert somewhere?

But having said that, because of the current awareness/usage of the characters I don't have a problem thinking that MF73 might actually be The key issue from the run and is more valuable than MF52 (and will remain so). I don't believe it will ever reach the levels of the trinity, but it is certainly better than several of the books you mention fighting for the 10 spot (and better than Adventure 40, which is one of my all-time faves).

On 4/28/2022 at 1:18 AM, Microchip said:

Roy, where do you see the hobby going at this point?

We're constantly getting an unending line of nay-sayers', saying the hobby will implode any day around the corner.   With someone feeling confident enough to sink $5.3m into a single book, the assumption is that the person felt confident in the price, and their decision.  Where do you see the hobby progressing from here?

I can't answer that. I have no idea what tomorrow brings. 

Will people pay more for Newsstands 10 years from now? Will Peds still get price bumps? Will a $5MIL book be worth $10MIL in a decade? I don't know. 

Over a year ago I thought this new price structure was temporary but it has longer legs than many of us thought it would so it may be here for a while or even to stay. 

On 4/29/2022 at 3:19 PM, VintageComics said:

I can't answer that. I have no idea what tomorrow brings. 

Will people pay more for Newsstands 10 years from now? Will Peds still get price bumps? Will a $5MIL book be worth $10MIL in a decade? I don't know. 

Over a year ago I thought this new price structure was temporary but it has longer legs than many of us thought it would so it may be here for a while or even to stay. 

For the last 50 years plus, there have been the naysayers about GA/SA  comic books, my prediction it will continue for another 50 years...UP the floor has been raised and it will continue to be raised over time.

Edited by Mmehdy