• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, szav said:

Did he keep any of the books at all for himself, or was every last one sold?

He kept the Red Raven #1 and the Spirits as well as a few others up until a few years ago but sold them.

I would have never been able to do that. I don’t know which one, but I would have had to keep one until I died…

On 4/26/2022 at 2:55 PM, szav said:

Did he keep any of the books at all for himself, or was every last one sold?

Red Raven 1 was the last, sold on Ha when he couldn't get his ridiculous asking of $500,000.00. I think it sold for less than half. 

On 4/26/2022 at 3:33 PM, szav said:

Ahh thanks.  You’d think he’d have kept a few or even just one strictly for nostalgia or posterity.

Yes, he wanted half a mill, but got https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/red-raven-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-timely-1940-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7039-91022.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

On 4/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, comicnoir said:
On 4/26/2022 at 12:33 PM, szav said:

Ahh thanks.  You’d think he’d have kept a few or even just one strictly for nostalgia or posterity.

Yes, he wanted half a mill, but got https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/red-raven-comics-1-mile-high-pedigree-timely-1940-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7039-91022.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

The Billy Wright 9.0 copy sold last year for less at $57,600.  Considering the MH copy sold for more back in 2011, seemed like a fair price at that time?

On 4/26/2022 at 3:33 PM, szav said:

well, he did keep the red raven and spirit 22 and so on for 40 years.     I guess that was long enough for him.    Maybe mama wanted some new shoes. 

On 4/27/2022 at 3:41 AM, tth2 said:

One could argue that our hobby would not have developed as well as it has and seen prices rise the way they have without the Church collection having been brought to market relatively early in the hobby’s history.

And one would be correct.

On 4/27/2022 at 10:42 AM, MrBedrock said:

And one would be correct.

Yeah, although both thoughts are true.

1) the hobby wouldn't have developed as quickly; and

2) he would have been better off to keep the key pieces regardless of how quickly the hobby developed. 

Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and he was getting mind blowing amounts at the time to expand his business with.

Edited by Bronty

On 4/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, Bronty said:

I’ll let your imagination wander as to whom I was referring to as mama in the first place.   :whistle:

Hi Dan

On 4/27/2022 at 4:46 PM, Robot Man said:

Oh, I got it too. That kind of dough would probably buy some nice stilettos…

If chuck did not sell for 3 times guide at the time and waited till now he would have lost everything.............. Only few will understand what I said........... When you understand would you PM me thanks. :bigsmile:

On 4/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, Robot Man said:

It would also buy a very nice "grow room" set-up.... and Colorado was leaning in that direction back then :whistle: GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/28/2022 at 1:18 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 4/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, Robot Man said:

It would also buy a very nice "grow room" set-up.... and Colorado was leaning in that direction back then :whistle: GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Mile High Comics, it's right there in the title!

image.thumb.png.fb6c16109c53ae4ac779eb8c74a0b978.png

On 4/14/2022 at 6:52 AM, VintageComics said:

Yep. There's no 'book value' on top items. There's only what the seller is willing to accept to part with an item and that usually has to be a strong number.

If it wasn't a strong number, everyone would be jumping at the opportunity to buy the book, wouldn't they?

Roy, where do you see the hobby going at this point?

We're constantly getting an unending line of nay-sayers', saying the hobby will implode any day around the corner.   With someone feeling confident enough to sink $5.3m into a single book, the assumption is that the person felt confident in the price, and their decision.  Where do you see the hobby progressing from here?