• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2022 at 6:37 AM, Northwest said:

"The Edgar Church/Mile High copy of Superman #1, graded 8.0 Universal by Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®), privately traded hands in January 2022 for $5.3 million"

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/10085/cgc-graded-superman-1-sells-for-over-5-million-dollars/

CGC1072525-001_OBV_lg20220412105101022.j

And I thought this was the Davis Crippen "D" copy 

On 4/13/2022 at 11:40 AM, fishbone said:

I have no problem imaging a comic-book lover who happens to have multi-millions (shrug)

Of course, lot's of comic book lovers have millions, and obviously many that if they aren't liquid millions of dollars certainly have comics in the millions.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 4/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

I only buy comics, but I can't speak for others lol.

I always bought what I liked or was passionate about, and lots of those would be "rookie cards" of my favourite players or  "1st appearances" of my favourite characters.    If that is Wayne Gretzky and Spider-Man, then I guess I'm lucky financially now years later, but if it's ROM then that is a bit of a bust financially. But I love them all equally....... 

On 4/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, fishbone said:

I always bought what I liked or was passionate about, and lots of those would be "rookie cards" of my favourite players or  "1st appearances" of my favourite characters.    If that is Wayne Gretzky and Spider-Man, then I guess I'm lucky financially now years later, but if it's ROM then that is a bit of a bust financially. But I love them all equally....... 

Hey, ROM rocks!!!

On 4/13/2022 at 10:55 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

That's soo weird though. Promoting the sale as an 8.0, but now it's an 8.5. Seems gratuitous to me. Like the new owner is trying to prop it up artificially to resell as an 8.5, but now flip it for 7 mil+ maybe. I mean why not just promote it for what it is currently, an 8.5? Or maybe it doesn't matter lol.

the sale was made while an 8.0.  i saw it with my own 2 peepers.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:31 PM, Mr bla bla said:

A similar grade silver age key with the same CT as the Church Supe 1 would go straight into a purple restored holder (and would accordingly suffer a 90-95% loss of its identical blue label market value👍). Crazy but true ...

One might want to take advantage of this, before cgc eventually will be called out by public opinion to correct this blatantly irrational policy - putting a supe 1 in a blue holder but the @exact same@ condition AF15 in a restored holder.

On 4/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, Mr bla bla said:

One might want to take advantage of this, before cgc eventually will be called out by public opinion to correct this blatantly irrational policy - putting a supe 1 in a blue holder but the @exact same@ condition AF15 in a restored holder.

So my only question regarding this and I’m sure my judgement is in error, but isn’t there a leniency to slight CT when it comes to golden age compared to everything else? That’s why I assumed it made sense to still be in a blue holder, but just with the notation.

On 4/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

That's why I think his ACI might garner 20 .... it has legendary status in the hobby. It's THE book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The Church Action 1 value today is a fun guessing game.  But since it will "never" be for sale one can say it's worth 10M today, or 20M  or even 30M ... because before it finally changes hands (which could be 20 years from now(!) it Will be worth an ever increasing amount.  Say, whatever the highest sale to date times 3 until some point where the number is REALLY crazy.  Then again what is crazy?  Not that  long ago most of us thought 5M was the crazy number for it.  Now look where we are,  with a Superman 1 in much lower condition but also from same Church collection already there... as an 8.0.  Ive heard the deal was made as an 8.0 as is.  They buyer's "team" helped it happen with confidence about the upgrade.  Question now is how much of the 5.3 is due to the Church copy significance.  Whats the other 8.0 worth, now standing lonely left behind!  

On 4/13/2022 at 3:53 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

So my only question regarding this and I’m sure my judgement is in error, but isn’t there a leniency to slight CT when it comes to golden age compared to everything else? That’s why I assumed it made sense to still be in a blue holder, but just with the notation.

This "leniency" for GA copies has been in place for 20 years.  People have questioned it, but there has been a CGC threshold for minimal CT or glue for high grade unfortunately minimally "fixed" copies.  This book was an early example.  It would be interesting to tabulate just how many books fall under this category?  25? 100? anybody have a sense?

There is no exact cut off date for blue label books with minor CT or "small amount of dried glue." If its smaller, non functional and doesn't increase the grade, it's got a shot at getting a blue slab.

Although I don't know of any books post 1960 books that ever got the blue label

I believe there is a Showcase 4 example running around with "Dried glue" in a blue label. 

As far as I know this CGC rule has always been around.

Edited by Rip

On 4/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

That's why I think his ACI might garner 20 .... it has legendary status in the hobby. It's THE book. GOD BLESS....

Yep. There's no 'book value' on top items. There's only what the seller is willing to accept to part with an item and that usually has to be a strong number.

If it wasn't a strong number, everyone would be jumping at the opportunity to buy the book, wouldn't they?

On 4/13/2022 at 2:52 PM, VintageComics said:

Yep. There's no 'book value' on top items. There's only what the seller is willing to accept to part with an item and that usually has to be a strong number.

If it wasn't a strong number, everyone would be jumping at the opportunity to buy the book, wouldn't they?

I'd offer $10k. 

On 4/13/2022 at 4:55 PM, buttock said:

I'd offer $10k. 

Mods notified. 

For UNDERPRICING a book. 

austin-powers-one-million-dollars.thumb.png.e632057e32563efe88f82c03a5ae9387.png

Edited by VintageComics

On 4/13/2022 at 12:47 PM, Nic8612 said:

Exactly. A lot has changed since BlackRock took over. 

And none of it has been for the betterment of the hobby

So Blackstone has time-travel technology? Then why would they care about CGC (or anything else, for that matter)?

On 4/13/2022 at 5:04 PM, Lazyboy said:

So Blackstone has time-travel technology? Then why would they care about CGC (or anything else, for that matter)?

They used to be one and the same, just two sides of the same coin. But I did still confuse the names.  Regardless, they bought CGC last year and now this top graded, top grail comic shows up regraded with a bump and completely ignoring the newly found restoration just so they can announce a record sales figure and drive the market higher