• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truckee Meadows Golden Age
5 5

46 posts in this topic

You might notice the “409” written on both Actions. There are a couple dozen Actions all with that same pencil/pen notation. A mystery I’m unlikely to solve.

Edited by lighthouse

On 4/14/2022 at 7:35 AM, lighthouse said:

You might notice the “409” written on both Actions. There are a couple dozen Actions all with that same pencil/pen notation. A mystery I’m unlikely to solve.

Phantom 409?

Formula 409?

Chevy 409 V8?

Or maybe they were all purchased by a local used book store on April 9th

On 4/14/2022 at 7:35 AM, lighthouse said:

I am thinking "09" is for Sept in which both the A30 and A43 could have been in those release months. I am seeing the #30 as a late Sept 1940 release and #43 in mid Oct 1941 - it's quite possible 43s had Sept release dates depending on the region and distribution...as for the "4" - hm

On 4/14/2022 at 7:29 AM, lighthouse said:

There’s a much longer thread about the collection in the Silver Age forums, but I’d rather not spam the SA section with GA books.

Here are a few recent returns from the collection. Just like the SA books, these went in a closet in 1965 and didn’t come out until this winter. But unlike the SA which is low-mid grade original owner from 1955-1959 and improving to high grade original owner from 1961-1965, the golden age books were acquired secondhand in the early 60s. Every SA book so far has white pages. The GA is so far a mix of OWW and W. There are around 300 GA total. Some will go to Heritage, some we will sell directly. A very few I plan to keep.

D400D69B-49B9-4CB9-9DC9-26D21CDA1CA6.jpeg

@CW 

On 4/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, lighthouse said:

Coming up in the May 2 weekly.

Most people just call this Worlds Finest 8.

I call it by its proper name:

”Burnley dunks on losers who can’t draw hands”

533166E2-2722-4E9A-A3DF-7FEFF38CE057.thumb.jpeg.ed94c3f0cc178da3ad5542c03c0f4370.jpeg

Seriously. There are fourteen hands on this cover. In fourteen different positions. He’s just showing off here.

Jack Kirby is wincing in his grave.