• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 121 or 122 ??
3 3

32 posts in this topic

Looking to purchase one of these and just wondering peoples thoughts on what’s your favourite issue ? Yeah I know it’s an iconic 2 part story but if you could only have one issue what would it be ? Not just talking value !

I know 121 is valued higher but for me I prefer the cover art on 122

just curious to hear peoples thoughts ?

footnote - I will buy both this year ! 

Both have very powerful but very different classic scenes.  The death sequence in 121, Mary Jane staying with Peter at the end of 122.

That's why both are classics. Perhaps 121 has the edge, for sudden impact, but 122 has more of the shock reaction to that traumatic event.  Have to sit on the fence and go for both: an inseparable pair.

I honestly can't separate them. If I had to, I'd go 121 first, simply because it's the first part. Then 122. Do it by simple numerical order. That's ideally. In reality, I'd go by who had the nicest copy of which issue for the best deal first, then go from there. 

I agree if buying slabbed go with best deal of the two you can find, since you're not partial.

Yet

I've heard it said before when people ask go for the "keys" first is the thing cause they're not getting cheaper, so in this case maybe go for the most expensive, but snag a deal if possible between the two is ideal.

At the time these were published, (I got mine at a nearby 7-11), 121 was the huge shock.  122 was the highly anticipated (is she really dead?) next issue that turned out to

be the no holds barred fight, Peter is out for the Goblin's blood and nothing is going to stop him from finding him.  I would go with 121 as it's the unbelievable issue at the time. 

Having been some of the first Spidey books I read as a kid, I’m a little partial to 122. It was the first time I’d read/seen a villain get what was coming, albeit “accidentally” for messing with the hero’s love interest, at least in comics. With all the clone stuff and Spider-Gwen things that came later, it pretty much devalued her death to me with the old cliché of nothing being permanent in comics. That and deaths of supporting characters not meaning much to me would seal it, regardless of monetary value. Cover is way cooler too.

A great question!

121 for me. Yellow cover wins it even though the overall image on 122 is better. And the story? I read this for the first time as a 24 year old about a decade ago and let me just say it was still great. Even knowing what was to come.

I prefer 122, both the cover and the story. 121 is also great, but it's more of a build up to what happens in 122. I think 123 is undervalued, it's really the third part of the story with Jonah going nuts over Norman's death and Gwen's funeral. The story picks up right from 122.