• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oops...
5 5

274 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 6:38 PM, JC25427N said:

Much of calculus actually concerns itself with the irrational:canofworms:

Irrational numbers are irrational in name only; they are actually governed by a set of rational axioms like everything else mathematics defines.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:38 PM, JC25427N said:

when I took calculus the answer was almost always 1, -1 or 0 :pullhair:

On 4/24/2022 at 4:49 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I passed my calculus courses enough to then take matrices and statistics, which I passed, but the statistics was the only real world application I enjoyed.

the hardest math class I ever took was genetics.  I got the highest grade in the class and it was a B.
:sorry:

On 4/24/2022 at 5:38 PM, JC25427N said:

I'm irrational, but I can't stand calculus.  Probably why I have a degree in English Literature. :roflmao:

On 4/25/2022 at 12:30 AM, wombat said:

Even for a comic book forum this has reached some pretty impressive nerd levels. 

You should visit the Water Cooler.  

On 4/25/2022 at 1:08 AM, Galen130 said:

I'm irrational, but I can't stand calculus.  Probably why I have a degree in English Literature. :roflmao:

Supposedly a science / maths nerd, but I would hang out with the arts crowd mainly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/24/2022 at 2:49 PM, Axe Elf said:

That's what I was addressing.  A bachelor is defined as an unmarried man.  Therefore, it is logically impossible to be a married bachelor, because logic must conform to the Law of Non-Contradiction:  "a statement and it's denial cannot both be true at the same time and in the same way."

So if you want to have a married bachelor, you have to discard logic and operate in the world of the irrational, where I am not equipped to converse with you.  So if you want to continue talking illogically, I'm afraid I won't be joining you.

So you're saying you're not that intelligent?  Don't be so hard on yourself; let's wait and see if you learn from this first.  If you do, then by your own definition, you're more intelligent than if you don't.

You know being intelligent is one thing, but being intelligent enough to know not to belittle fellow people that surround yourself is a whole different thing. 

It's called being gracious.

Edited by oakman29

On 4/24/2022 at 6:17 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Supposedly a science / maths nerd, but I would hang out with the arts crowd mainly.

Funny thing is, because of my love of the written word (mainly late 19th/early 20th centuries), once I finished my degree I decided to get technical.  My specialty is more in line with writing and editing, especially editing.  I can tear apart anything anyone writes, i.e. grammer, structure, spelin, sentinces, etc.  I couldn't decide what kind of education I wanted when I grew up...still can't.  I just have a knack for how the written word should look and sound. lol

@kav @Comics4All

On 4/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, oakman29 said:

You know being intelligent is one thing, but being intelligent enough to know not to belittle fellow people that surround yourself is a whole different thing. 

It's called being gracious.

True intelligent people dont brag about how smart they are.  You ever hear Stephen Hawking or Albert Einstein brag about how smart they were?

Edited by kav

On 4/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, Galen130 said:

Funny thing is, because of my love of the written word (mainly late 19th/early 20th centuries), once I finished my degree I decided to get technical.  My specialty is more in line with writing and editing, especially editing.  I can tear apart anything anyone writes, i.e. grammer, structure, spelin, sentinces, etc.  I couldn't decide what kind of education I wanted when I grew up...still can't.  I just have a knack for how the written word should look and sound. lol

@kav @Comics4All

sentinciss, am'eye'right?

@kav @Comics4All

:pullhair:

@kav @Comics4All

they're our some people that our just good with word's.