• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oops...
5 5

274 posts in this topic

On 4/21/2022 at 8:00 PM, Axe Elf said:

It's probably not worth an in-depth discussion, but I really don't find it all that clever.  It is basically only true when you have a finite set of alternatives, and you can determine that at least one of them is true, and you can also determine that all but one of them is impossible.

It's just a restatement of the obvious, in that case, and when those conditions aren't met, it isn't even a true statement.

It's another way of referring to the process of elimination, clever or not.

Sherlock Holmes is unlike any other character, with a level of confidence and self-assurance unmatched. It's a statement only a character such as he can say, and he says it because he's always convinced that he always has all the evidence at hand.

They're awesome stories of fiction.

Edited by MR SigS
words

On 4/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, MR SigS said:

It's another way of referring to the process of elimination, clever or not.

Sherlock Holmes is unlike any other character, with a level of confidence and self-assurance unmatched. It's a statement only a character such as he can say, and he says it only when he's convinced all the evidence is at hand.

They're awesome stories of fiction.

One of the downsides to having an IQ that has to be expressed in scientific notation is that sometimes stories about people who are supposed to be intelligent fall kind of flat when their intelligence turns out to be rather... elementary.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, Axe Elf said:

One of the downsides to having an IQ that has to be expressed in scientific notation is that sometimes stories about people who are supposed to be intelligent fall kind of flat when their intelligence turns out to be rather... elementary.

I read Silver and Bronze Age comic books and find this over-the-top storytelling easy to enjoy. Especially when it's written well (and Doyle wrote well).

Edited by MR SigS
Wrote. I forgot Doyle is still dead.

On 4/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, Axe Elf said:

you were unfamiliar with the reference so apparently you have not read sherlock holmes so can you really make any deductions about the stories tho?

On 4/21/2022 at 7:51 PM, jcjames said:

And when mistakes are made by an overworked, under-trained CGC employee accidentally revoking the wrong (authentic) cert #'s, thus will be born another thread topic! 

Sure, but it's one that's easier to fix. If done correctly, no data about the slabbed book is lost; a field in the database is merely set to indicate revocation and the lookup tool modified to respond accordingly. If the book holder can demonstrate that the revocation was in error, flip the bit, and things are fine.

Data management errors of this sort are much easier to fix than this wrong-UF4-in-the-wild sort of debacle.

On 4/21/2022 at 10:32 PM, kav said:

you were unfamiliar with the reference

An incorrect assumption.

you have not read sherlock holmes

A correct assumption (at least not in any depth).

can you really make any deductions about the stories tho?

I can, but I haven't made any in this forum yet; I have only deconstructed a quote from one of the stories.

I just wanted people to think about what the quote was actually saying, that's all.  It sounds clever, but when you break it down, it's really pretty much the opposite of clever.  And we've talked about it for WAY too long.  Let's just say I failed in my attempt to be pithy and rhetorical, and move on...?

On 4/21/2022 at 8:48 PM, Galen130 said:

I've created a monster.  Maybe we should move Sir Arthur to the Cornfield...lol

it happens.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:53 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I couldn't find the Hulk 181 print run estimates, but I did find estimates for the time-frame of ASM 300 (which has a 9.8 that sells for around $5k). Estimates on that would be around 275,000-285,000: https://www.comichron.com/titlespotlights/amazingspiderman.html

The estimated print run for all first print Ultimate Fallout 4 copies (cover A plus the variant) is around 93,000 copies: https://www.comichron.com/faq/ultimatefallout4sales.html

So just the amount printed of UF4 is less than half of ASM 300. ASM copies in the 1960s were in the 300K range printed per issue. Even if you estimate 1/3 of that for Hulk 181, that's still more copies printed than UF4. Of course you have to consider that people in the 60s didn't take care of their comics compared to people in the 2010s, but still, even a 4.0 181 sells for higher than a 9.8 UF4.

Miles has a lot of future potential. And I've noted before that most heroes are known by their hero name - Batman, Spider-Man, Superman. People know who their alter-ego is of course, but they're not often marketed as Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent. Miles is often marketed as "Miles Morales: Spider-man." There's a new generation who will connect to that marketing and connect to Miles as an Afro-Latino icon. That all has big potential down the road.

Sure, but we could throw numbers out all day long.  Like Hulk #181 is an almost 50 year old comic......which means it has close to 40 additional years on UF #4.  Plus, Wolverine has been an iconic character for decades, and still is.....with how many movies, video games, toys, etc. featuring him?  Not to mention the thousands(?) of comic books he's appeared in.....including the X-men books, his own series, as well as hundreds of crossovers. 

As you mentioned, I'm sure Hulk #181 likely had a much larger print run.....plus it's had an additional decade to be submitted to CGC......yet it only has about 400 more universal graded copies in total than UF #4 currently has.......and much fewer high grade copies.

A 4.0 Hulk 181 does sell for a lot.....but a lot of that has to do with the mad scramble over the last couple of years.  The big money guys have gone after all of the blue chip bronze and silver key issues and driven the prices up.  And because there aren't a lot of high grade copies available, it drives the price up on the lower grade copies as the rest of us peasants fight over the copies we can still afford.

If you just consider UF #4 in CGC 9.0 and above........there are 10,743 graded copies. 

In order to reach that amount of Hulk #181 graded copies......you have to total all of them from 4.0 and above.

As I mentioned before, I realize this is the first appearance of a new Spider-Man and there could "possibly" be a lot of potential for it down the road......but it's still an 11 year old modern comic with over 3,000 copies in CGC 9.8 and over 3,300 copies in CGC 9.6 grade.  This is just going to have to be one of those instances where I don't quite see it.......but I could be wrong.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 4/21/2022 at 8:51 PM, oakman29 said:

I'm so happy someone is smart around here, because I am literally a dumbarse.🤠

I just hope the FBI can tap into this resource man!