• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Appearance comic Question
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 5/19/2022 at 6:27 PM, Bo1983 said:

That would be tales to astonish 35.The first appearance of Ant man.One cool thing Spider-Man and Ant man came out just one month between  each other!

Ehhhhhh I respectfully disagree based on the following: in TTA 27 he creates the potion, uses it, and becomes a super powered human with the ant powers. He IS the hero, just without a costume yet. It would be different if it was just a story about Hank Pym as a regular guy who later gained super powers. The Fantastic Four also didn't start out with costumes.  

I think TTA27 is sometimes incorrectly viewed the same as the first Carol Danvers appearance for example,  but the difference is she didn't yet have the powers in her 1st app and later got powers and became Mrs marvel. 

On 5/21/2022 at 1:31 AM, Cat said:

I'd like to think that their First Appearance means I could draw them if I wanted to, and have an accurate representation of what they look like. That doesn't always work though, so I don't know if I'd count Doomsday as a first full appearance. 

Who dis?

6B81069F-86DB-4515-82A2-87FABAD6DA45.jpeg.8b5941ff21b4a95dabd40c7f46cbb431.jpeg

On 5/22/2022 at 2:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Who dis?

Looks like Sabretooth, but I know it's not that easy. No idea. 

On 5/21/2022 at 1:48 PM, Cat said:
On 5/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Who dis?

Looks like Sabretooth, but I know it's not that easy. No idea. 

I would have said Wendigo, but thought the same, not that easy (thumbsu 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/20/2022 at 10:33 PM, Lazyboy said:

The continuity timing doesn't matter. The first appearance is the first book.

Completely agree…which is why X-Force #11 is farce as “the real” Domino’s first appearance…

On 5/22/2022 at 9:29 AM, Juno Beach said:

I think people who call Gambit's annual appearance a cameo must not have actually read the comic. 

I know I haven't 

I've said it before, but...

Someone asks you, "What did Wolverine do in his first appearance?"

If you reflexively answer, "He fought the Hulk!" then deep down you see 181 as his first appearance.

If you reflexively answer, "He yelled his own name!" then deep down you see 180 as his first appearance.

As many of you have said, comics have their own quirks and conventions that force us to speak intentionally on matters like this. I'm very comfortable with the distinction between "first cameo appearance" (180) and "first full appearance" (181). I will even accept jcjames' nomenclature of "first brief appearance" for 180.

In my personal opinion, Hulk 181 is not Wolverine's unqualified first appearance, just as 180 isn't his first full appearance. 

Edited by Off Panel
Fixed a word.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, Jaylam said:

What's the cutoff on appearances that CGC will numerically notate? I mean like 2nd appearance, 3rd appearance.......at what point does it just become an "appearance"?

I don't think that I've ever seen a "4th appearance" notation. (thumbsu

Also not sure if it was a rhetorical question lol so I'll add that between 1st app and 2nd app there may, like with the Punisher, be a "cameo" between 1st and 2nd full app.

So usually that cameo is notated, but not as a "1st or 2nd" lol:pullhair: there I hope I added something to the conversation :) 

On 5/22/2022 at 1:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I don't think that I've ever seen a "4th appearance" notation. (thumbsu

Also not sure if it was a rhetorical question lol so I'll add that between 1st app and 2nd app there may, like with the Punisher, be a "cameo" between 1st and 2nd full app.

So usually that cameo is notated, but not as a "1st or 2nd" lol:pullhair: there I hope I added something to the conversation :) 

LOL, thanks for the insight. I think you are right about the appearances being numbered. Looks like the cutoff is 3rd appearance, no 4th appearance notated, for example ASM #23 has it as Green Goblin's "3rd appearance", but when he next appears, it's just noted as an "appearance".

On 5/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, Jaylam said:

LOL, thanks for the insight. I think you are right about the appearances being numbered. Looks like the cutoff is 3rd appearance, no 4th appearance notated, for example ASM #23 has it as Green Goblin's "3rd appearance", but when he next appears, it's just noted as an "appearance".

Same with Dr Doom. I think I own the 4th which of course is cheaper 😂 and probably why I could afford to own it, ha!

On 5/22/2022 at 9:53 AM, Jaylam said:

What's the cutoff on appearances that CGC will numerically notate? I mean like 2nd appearance, 3rd appearance.......at what point does it just become an "appearance"?

I know Overstreet lists up to around the 16th Legion appearance, no idea if the CGC does the same.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:33 PM, Off Panel said:

Cameo - cam·eo |  \ ˈka-mē-ˌō   \

plural cameos

: a brief appearance or role

(From merriam-webster.com. Definition 4.)

...of a well-known character. 

Can’t make a cameo if no one knows who you are.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:10 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Can’t make a cameo if no one knows who you are.

I tend to think about it the same way you do, but the dictionary makes no such distinction.

I guess any brief appearance is technically a cameo, but we only talk about the ones that are meaningful to us. No one ever says, “Hey, that bit player actor that I don’t know or care about had a cameo in Morbius!