• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS spooky & mystical spoiler thread
4 4

386 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2023 at 11:39 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Apples and hand grenades.

The Forbes article notes that the supposed $94.5 extra Dr. Strange MoM cost was still a net production cost, after the UK tax breaks were deducted.

The Guardians of the Galaxy supposed cost overruns were cancelled out by the tax breaks - hence net production cost for that film was still $200 million.

Makes me wonder how much less profitable all of these Disney movies are, and ones that are reported to turned a small profit may have actually lost money.  It also means all of the reported budgets we are seeing from at least Disney are low, and most of these films are likely costing 10 to 20% more than is what is being reported. They are not reporting the costs of extensive reshoots, further editing, and last minute CGI. How can a business be run this way?  At my company we are given precise budgets that we must stick too, and higher ups are constantly monitoring expenditures, payroll to income, discounts, etc.  If anything falls out of line, we are immediately told to correct it, or justify it.

Edited by drotto

On 7/13/2023 at 8:56 PM, drotto said:

Makes me wonder how much less profitable all of these Disney movies are, and ones that are reported to turned a small profit may have actually lost money.  It also means all of the reported budgets we are seeing from at least Disney are low, and most of these films are likely costing 10 to 20% more than is what is being reported. They are not reporting the costs of extensive reshoots, further editing, and last minute CGI. How can a business be run this way?  At my company we are given precise budgets that we must stick too, and higher ups are constantly monitoring expenditures, payroll to income, discounts, etc.  If anything falls out of line, we are immediately told to correct it, or justify it.

Parly why I created this thread to cut through the "I know more of what goes into movie-making". Reality can be shocking.

The UK reports as they have to record real numbers so THEN the tax breaks deduct from that amount.

UK_MCU_Costs.png.ab46e5b8f0468e26210f9de799258ab2.thumb.png.0607c72b2aeada7e412c1efda1cc5702.png

On 7/4/2023 at 2:48 PM, Bosco685 said:

Interesting that there are UK film industry reports that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 at $232M after tax incentives came from more than one Forbes article.

?

Here's a Forbes article that lays it out clearly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/?sh=570398c637c2

Notes that:

• The total budget for Guardians of the Galaxy was $232.3 million (gross).
  • The British tax authority then gave them $36.4 million in tax credits for filming there.
  • Brings the net budget for the film to $232.3 million - $36.4 million = $195.9 million.

That $196 million (net) budget was also reported by Deadline in their "Biggest Summer Blockbuster" calculation here.

Reported movie budgets (even estimates) are always net of tax credits.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 7/14/2023 at 7:18 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

Here's a Forbes article that lays it out clearly.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/csylt/2015/01/27/disney-reveals-guardians-of-the-galaxy-was-over-budget-at-232-million/?sh=570398c637c2

Notes that:

• The total budget for Guardians of the Galaxy was $232.3 million (gross).
  • The British tax authority then gave them $36.4 million in tax credits for filming there.
  • Brings the net budget for the film to $232.3 million - $36.4 million = $195.9 million.

That $196 million (net) budget was also reported by Deadline in their "Biggest Summer Blockbuster" calculation here.

Reported movie budgets (even estimates) are always net of tax credits.

Oddly enough that is the same article I have posted previously that you have stated misrepresented how UK tax credits factored into the final budget. Odd how that works, depending on the point you attempt to make. But when it does, then THAT is the factual article. 

(:

Meanwhile, the 2015 article you now believe to be diffinitive was prior to the 2018 article where even more budget details were revealed by FORBES as well.

FORBES: Disney Reveals Financial Muscle Of 'Avengers: Infinity War' (2018)

UK_MCU_Costs.thumb.png.9c90488ede2307bbc04abdb25bae0edc.png

B|

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/14/2023 at 4:13 AM, Bosco685 said:

Parly why I created this thread to cut through the "I know more of what goes into movie-making". Reality can be shocking.

The UK reports as they have to record real numbers so THEN the tax breaks deduct from that amount.

UK_MCU_Costs.png.ab46e5b8f0468e26210f9de799258ab2.thumb.png.0607c72b2aeada7e412c1efda1cc5702.png

I can't remember where, but I had seen an additional analysis where someone went even furthur with adjusting these UK productions using current exchange rates of the Pound to US dollar.  The analysis was done with Indy 5. 

So Indy 5 was made was when the pound had briefly become very weak vs the dollar and that the reported budget (at the time) of $295M was actually closer to $330M if the correct currency conversions had been done.