• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FCBD 2022
1 1

29 posts in this topic

I see four I'd grab.

Guardian of Fukushima, Incal, 2000AD, Bloodborne

I like FCBD because it is fun to see a comic crowd and it brings back memories of good times when my kid was young and loved FCBD.  My kid and I  always grabbed the Bongo Simpson book when we saw it, like Robot Man.

Work is eating up my Saturday but I was able to get out early and visit Zapp Comics in Wayne, NJ. The place was packed with about 60 people in line before they opened at 8 am. The initial wave of folks (which I wasn't in - I wasn't in the store until about 8:30) really cleaned the place out and they did a great job trying to restock back issue bins. There was plenty of marvel/dc FCB by the time I got into the store but TMNT and some of the smaller publishers were really limited. The sale at the shop included 50% off wall books which was mostly just slabs. Folks were stocking up on runs from the back issue bins. They didn't have much on my want list but my two kids (who I think were the first kids under the age of 10 in the store that morning) were happy with what they found. When I left around 9:15 am, there was another 40 people waiting in line - including a lot of young adults and families. 

Edited by stynxno
clarifying some language

On 5/7/2022 at 12:15 PM, stynxno said:

Work is eating up my Saturday but I was able to get out early and visit Zapp Comics in Wayne, NJ. The place was packed with about 60 people in line before they opened at 8 am. The initial wave of folks (which I wasn't in - I wasn't in the store until about 8:30) really cleaned the place out and they did a great job trying to restock back issue bins. There was plenty of marvel/dc FCB by the time I got into the store but TMNT and some of the smaller publishers were really limited. The sale at the shop included 50% off wall books which was mostly just slabs. Folks were stocking up on runs from the back issue bins. They didn't have much on my want list but my two kids (who I think were the first kids under the age of 10 in the store that morning) were happy with what they found. When I left around 9:15 am, there was another 40 people waiting in line - including a lot of young adults and families. 

@ADAMANTIUM did you go?

I had a good experience.  Picked up a rare omnibus and a few reprints like X-men 1 and Conan 1 to read.  Was able to  get my TMNT comic that I wanted.  Also randomly got some others . We were limited to 8 comics.  Are there any good reads? 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:31 PM, Wolverinex said:

@ADAMANTIUM did you go?

I had a good experience.  Picked up a rare omnibus and a few reprints like X-men 1 and Conan 1 to read.  Was able to  get my TMNT comic that I wanted.  Also randomly got some others . We were limited to 8 comics.  Are there any good reads? 

I'm glad you went and had fun! I'm kind of saving for a comic con in June, and have already spent my allotment for this month.

But I've heard great stories so far, inspite of the RIP.

3 books per person, no purchase necessary, but for $10 purchase, you got a raffle ticket for some nice prizes. Didn't win anything, but you also got little freebee bags with nice stuff in them.

For sale outside, they had plenty of half-priced full sets from the 80's, my favorite era, so I picked up a few to support the shop and get a ticket, why not? New Universe The War, Havok & Wolverine, it's always nice to get prestige format books in great shape for $2 each or less, as they cost more than that back then. Also got a Marvel 2010 Movie 2 issue adaptation newsstand set for $2. I've got a lot of nostalgia for comics between 1983 or so and 1987 in particular, so a dollar each for these? Yes, please. Best of all, a gorgeous set of the DC Who's Who 1987 5 issue update for $7, with lots of new Superman art from John Byrne, Todd McFarlane (including an intricate wraparound cover on #4), and Wonder Woman material from the great George Perez :angel:throughout. There's also entries on the Watchmen/Minutemen from when the series had just concluded, an exquisite Kevin Maguire spread on the new Justice League, and a Brian Bolland illustration of Lady Blackhawk I adore. 

Took my wife and she selected Stranger Things, TMNT, and Sonic, generally at my suggestion. She's a good sport.

I got Spidey/Venom, Dark Crisis, and Marvel Voices.

We got there around 10:30 a.m. Probably 50 people there already, very few kids, mostly twentyish/thirtyish dudes, but several other couples, and likely steady all day, as the weather is perfect. There was a food truck out there, too, a first for the event at this store. The owner is an awesome guy, friendly as all heck, and even though I don't collect a lot of modern comics, I love to see the community he's cultivated so I go out of my way to get to this event. A lot of smiling faces, for sure, every year. He's done FCBD at this location for 5+ years, and did the first 10+ of them in a location across town before that, so I would think this event helps with the bottom line. He sure deserves it.

Hit my local shop today. They have no back issues but I bought some supplies on sale. The place was real busy and the register was ringing loud. Bless these guys. They had everything on the list and I could take what I wanted. I got the Spider-Man. Turtles, the Overstreet one and the Winchester House. Also a couple for my grandaughters. Lots of kids and smiling faces! 

I haven’t bought moderns in probably 20+ years and I know why. These were pretty terrible. The companies should have thought it out better and planned on movie releases. Dr Strange just hit. And my grandaughters would have loved a book from a semi current Disney movie. They are kind of missing the mark.

I want to do anything possible to keep these shops open even though I don’t buy new books. My shop does well. They do a lot of Funko and action figures as well. Very grateful to them to keep the hobby alive.

Hope you guys enjoyed the day. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, Robot Man said:

Hit my local shop today. They have no back issues but I bought some supplies on sale. The place was real busy and the register was ringing loud. Bless these guys. They had everything on the list and I could take what I wanted. I got the Spider-Man. Turtles, the Overstreet one and the Winchester House. Also a couple for my grandaughters. Lots of kids and smiling faces! 

I haven’t bought moderns in probably 20+ years and I know why. These were pretty terrible. The companies should have thought it out better and planned on movie releases. Dr Strange just hit. And my grandaughters would have loved a book from a semi current Disney movie. They are kind of missing the mark.

I want to do anything possible to keep these shops open even though I don’t buy new books. My shop does well. They do a lot of Funko and action figures as well. Very grateful to them to keep the hobby alive.

Hope you guys enjoyed the day. 

Awesome.  Sounds like a fun day.  I haven't had a chance to read any of the books yet.  Looking forward to the TMNT one and the Winchester House 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:39 PM, Wolverinex said:

Awesome.  Sounds like a fun day.  I haven't had a chance to read any of the books yet.  Looking forward to the TMNT one and the Winchester House 

TMNT was pretty terrible. Pick of the litter was Winchester House. A topic I find interesting anyway.