• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Grail Club
3 3

125 posts in this topic

1367829006_PXL_20220607_2013564942.thumb.jpg.cd71e67eae0e806199ad8b5fb03acf02.jpg

Finally back from CGC for the 2nd time, after a mechanical error resub to fix a very wrong label. Really immensely glad to have this safe at home where it belongs.

I own a bunch of pretty scarce modern oddities --  the Rising Stars Philadelphia ComicCon book, both versions of the Legacy of Dark Crystal / Return to Labyrinth advertising preview flipbook, several oddball foreign books (especially including one goodie current in the hell of international shipping), Teeny Titans -- but this is almost certainly the rarest comic of any age in my collection.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:58 PM, Qalyar said:

1367829006_PXL_20220607_2013564942.thumb.jpg.cd71e67eae0e806199ad8b5fb03acf02.jpg

Finally back from CGC for the 2nd time, after a mechanical error resub to fix a very wrong label. Really immensely glad to have this safe at home where it belongs.

I own a bunch of pretty scarce modern oddities --  the Rising Stars Philadelphia ComicCon book, both versions of the Legacy of Dark Crystal / Return to Labyrinth advertising preview flipbook, several oddball foreign books (especially including one goodie current in the hell of international shipping), Teeny Titans -- but this is almost certainly the rarest comic of any age in my collection.

As someone who was a massive EQ fan who has/had a ton of rare memorabilia, I didn't even know this existed.

On 6/12/2022 at 11:02 PM, Tnexus said:

As someone who was a massive EQ fan who has/had a ton of rare memorabilia, I didn't even know this existed.

There's been a lot of research effort put into figuring out exactly where this came from. The absolute madness of the recent ebay sale will encourage that sort of thing. Current consensus is that it was a bonus distributed to people who not only pre-ordered EQOA, but who placed that pre-order on the (still fairly new) online PlayStation Store. There may have been other requirements involved. Unquestionably, very few of these were produced and distributed.

On 6/13/2022 at 12:50 AM, divad said:

"Modern Grail" is an oxymoron.:canofworms:

Tell that to the $1,000,000+ sportscards printed since 2000. :gossip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_sports_cards

$40,000 for some Spider-man variant looks like a bargain "modern grail" by comparison.

Edited by valiantman

On 6/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, divad said:

doh! "There's no accounting for taste." :whistle:

If this is the behavior of “tasteful people “, then I’m glad to be a troglodyte.

I collect modern age, copper, bronze, silver and golden age because I like comic books.  There are modern age books older than the silver age books that were, and still are, grails when I started collecting.    Many of the collectors on these forums who collect the most valuable books have treasured books in their collection that they bought off the rack. Don’t be so close-minded.

On 6/18/2022 at 2:25 PM, Westy Steve said:

If this is the behavior of “tasteful people “, then I’m glad to be a troglodyte.

I collect modern age, copper, bronze, silver and golden age because I like comic books.  There are modern age books older than the silver age books that were, and still are, grails when I started collecting.    Many of the collectors on these forums who collect the most valuable books have treasured books in their collection that they bought off the rack. Don’t be so close-minded.

I was responding to this:

On 6/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, valiantman said:

Tell that to the $1,000,000+ sportscards printed since 2000. :gossip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_sports_cards

$40,000 for some Spider-man variant looks like a bargain "modern grail" by comparison.

And your personal attack is not only unwarranted, but incorrect. I too collect modern age, copper, bronze, silver and golden age because I like comic books.  There are modern age books older than the silver age books that were, and still are, grails when I started collecting.  Many of the collectors on these forums who collect the most valuable books what they like have treasured books in their collection that they bought off the rack. 

Enjoy your collection . . . :slapfight:

On 6/18/2022 at 6:00 PM, divad said:

I was responding to this:

And your personal attack is not only unwarranted, but incorrect. I too collect modern age, copper, bronze, silver and golden age because I like comic books.  There are modern age books older than the silver age books that were, and still are, grails when I started collecting.  Many of the collectors on these forums who collect the most valuable books what they like have treasured books in their collection that they bought off the rack. 

Enjoy your collection . . . :slapfight:

Weeeeeeell…

It’s hard to tell where you really stand when your opening remark is “modern key is an oxymoron”

followed by:

”there’s no accounting for taste”

So, even if, at any point you were being sarcastic, I find it very perplexing that you didn’t expect an argument. 
:screwy:

On 6/20/2022 at 7:26 PM, World Devourer said:

Top Ten.

Screenshot_20220621-122403_Chrome.jpg

Nope !  Top 5 (or 6, actually).  At least based on the criteria I have used for the last 6 years.  Sketched covers don't make my list and nether do covers like danger girl 2 where there is nothing different (iie "variant") about the art. Meaning no glitter, hologram, etc 1990s type gimmicks.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 6/19/2022 at 7:14 PM, D2 said:

So, even if, at any point you were being sarcastic, I find it very perplexing that you didn’t expect an argument. 
:screwy:

The comments were five days apart. I take a lot of       around here because I don't write paragraphs about what I think at any given moment. So bite me. (:

Edited by divad