• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Stay Focused On Your Collecting Goals
1 1

17 posts in this topic

When I started seriously collecting in 2018, my primary goal was to obtain all the major Marvel SA keys, along with some of the major DC SA keys. And I completed the Marvel goal last year, when I finally purchased TtA #44 (first appearance of the Wasp). I have some DC keys that I am trying to obtain, but the books that I am looking for (such as Detective Comics #225) will require a significant financial outlay.

However, during this time, I ventured off into some "side quests." First, I decided that I wanted to have a full run of the Atlas Black Knight books, which I accomplished. Next, I decided I wanted BatB #1 - #24, and I was really only interested in reader copies. I accomplished this, but I have since sold my copy of BatB #1. I next decided that I wanted to collect all the first appearance of Flash villains of the SA. Currently, I'm only one book away from this goal. In addition to this goal, I then included all Flash covers that featured the Trickster, as he is my favorite Flash villain. I'm currently looking for high grade copies of Flash #121 and Flash #174, and I am not having a lot of luck. Yes, I know the Trickster is not on the cover of #174, but you can't be a real Flash fan without wanting to have this classic cover in your collection. Next, I decided I wanted to get one comic from each year from 1938 to 1970 (the approximate end of the SA). I now only need books from 1938, 1939,m and 1942 to accomplish this goal.

Recently, I decided I would like to try to get one copy each of the major DC titles, preferably pre-code. I currently have issues of Adventure Comics, Batman, Big Town, Brave and the Bold, My Greatest Adventure, Sensation Comics, Showcase, Strange Adventures, Superman, Tomahawk, Western Comics, and World's Finest Comics. As you can see, I have I need to get many more books to accomplish this goal. And even more recently, I thought that I might like to get the first ten issues of each of the SA Marvel heroes. I would have to purchase books from the Incredible Hulk, Journey into Mystery, Sgt. Fury, Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, and Tales to Astonish. In this case, I have all the major books from these series, with the exception of JiM #85. I know that there would be a significant cost, but I have seen some very reasonably priced books for some of the latter of the first ten issues.

Honestly, I think that I am beginning to have ADD. Do you have a method that you use to keep you laser-focused on your collecting goals, or do you often stray off into "side quests" like me?

Kind of...  I set out to own all the Warren CREEPY and EERIE mags initially, but then it sort of ballooned into all of the Warren comics.  Over the course of that journey, I discovered other things I was interested in (like the Marvel Conan books), but so far, online electronic resources have satiated my desire to read some of these newfound interests.

So I guess it's just a matter of balancing what you want, what you can afford, and what you actually want to OWN as opposed to just want to read.

On 5/7/2022 at 1:24 PM, Math Teacher said:

Do you have a method that you use to keep you laser-focused on your collecting goals, or do you often stray off into "side quests" like me?

I (generally) only buy comics using funds from selling other comics, mostly done through consigning books through MCS and then using store credit to buy from their site. This purposely limits my buying power which makes me choosy when making a purchase. I'm not completely adherent to this philosophy but it does help narrow the focus. 

On 5/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, zzutak said:

Not a method specific to collecting, but an approach to life in general: discipline:foryou:

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

I recently came back to comics with a much stricter focus than when I left. Back then, I collected superhero stuff SA/BA/MA mostly, but that gives a wide array of variations. Now, I'm sticking with PCH and am going to try to make sure I don't waver out into 50's jungle, romance, detective or sci-fi. We'll see how that lasts.

Do you have a method that you use to keep you laser-focused on your collecting goals, or do you often stray off into "side quests" like me?

Side quests are what make the hobby fun. Gets you exploring and not despair when your main "quest" is slow going or stalled. Sometimes, it might make you revise or question your initial quest, esp. if said quest pigeon-holed you and you discover the grass is greener elsewhere.

So, it's a balance between discipline and exploration. Discipline, I maintain with progress markers but once I hit above a certain percentage, it's time to start on a new quest.

I gave myself 10 years to get all comics from March 1952 and have now 100%. It took me 19 years.

I gave myself 10 years to get all Four Color Comics and have 96+%. I am 13 years in.

I gave myself 10 years to get all Adventure pulps and have easily over 50% 1 year in.

Given the long-range, I keep interested and motivated with side-quests :)

On 5/7/2022 at 3:47 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I recently came back to comics with a much stricter focus than when I left. Back then, I collected superhero stuff SA/BA/MA mostly, but that gives a wide array of variations. Now, I'm sticking with PCH and am going to try to make sure I don't waver out into 50's jungle, romance, detective or sci-fi. We'll see how that lasts.

Not long Jason believe me. Once you taste the Kool Aid, you’re hooked…

Before I attend a big show, I come up with a top 10 want list. I look up the recent sales over the prior six months in order to get a realistic idea of how much I can expect to pay. When I walk the room, I’m strictly concentrated on the list. If I get two books off my list, I view it as a successful show. If I still have funds, I may shop “off list.”

To be honest, when I attended the Big Apple Con in March, there were 20 books in my “top ten” list. Accordingly, I’m probably the worst person to give advice on this topic! 😂 

My focus are EC books. My secondary focus are any PCH. I do read a handful of moderns.

But I have added some side quests and have finished them: 

All of the Neal Adams R.I.P. (Kneel Atoms for you @kav!) Deadman run...check!

Champions (BA)...check!

Night Force...Check!

It gives me something to look for at cons when my main and secondary focus get exhausted.

Edited by Raze

I set goals of complete runs of Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man when I got back into collecting around 2010. The problem was that I had plenty of disposable income (unlike when I originally set those goals at 13 years old), and I was able to knock them both out in a little over 3 years after starting from scratch. My lcs did give me some great deal on some key early ASM and I won Avengers 1 in an Ebay grab bag, and those two circumstances made it a little easier to do. I finished Avengers first, and that felt good, and then I finished ASM. Then it sunk in that there were no other books or characters I had the same passion about, and it was such a letdown. I had the best time compiling those collections for 3 years, and it was over.

I started on X-Men from GS X-Men 1 because I had really enjoyed the series as a kid, but I was also buying random issues of Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Thor. I kept expanding through most of the Marvel superhero line, and my collection just exploded. Eventually, when I got close enough to finishing the main titles and only had expensive comics left to buy, I started on DC with the Superman line. Then I added the Batman books, Flash, and Justice League. It all happened so fast. I don't regret any of it because it was fun and the comics are selling for a lot more now than they were then, and it was strictly my fun money that I spent. I'll admit it got out of hand, but that's okay.

I don't let scantily-clad women trick me into buying their wares. :devil::baiting:

Seriously, though, I have goals but will buy what I want when I want it. It all balances out in the end.