• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

Isn't a VHS tape already in a plastic box and isn't the artwork already protected by a plastic sleeve so what is the point? This has to be a late April Fool surely. 20 years ago I actually thought the creation of CGC was an April Fool. Who would want to own reading matter that they could never read I thought.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:07 PM, Robot Man said:

Better get on it. You are already a little late…

I figured. I knew when I saw the people buying hard realeased new video games sealed. In 2018 that seemed like the "new stuff" would be a long wait, so I inquired.

Turns out a few had been doing it for years, and it is a "bit" like run collecting, idk. It's a different nostalgia, but I don't knock it, I enjoy Nintendo Power and etc (thumbsu 

On 5/9/2022 at 3:04 PM, Robot Man said:

This is today’s hot new thing. Sealed tapes are going for big money. I think CC is doing auctions and others will probably follow soon.

CGC smells “blood in the water” and wants to cash in. I’ll bet HA will be in soon.

Just more slow down to their original core business. But they already got us right where they want us.

Need a job Pablo? But you got to move to FL…:facepalm:   @Dreamtoreal1

I could be wrong but I don't sense the market is really all that strong.

There were about 100 tapes in a goldin auction recently.

Like 98 of them were sub 2k, mostly sub 500 and the two biggest items were promotional items at about 6k each. 

On 5/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, Robot Man said:

This is today’s hot new thing. Sealed tapes are going for big money. I think CC is doing auctions and others will probably follow soon.

CGC smells “blood in the water” and wants to cash in. I’ll bet HA will be in soon.

Just more slow down to their original core business. But they already got us right where they want us.

Need a job Pablo? But you got to move to FL…:facepalm:   @Dreamtoreal1

I’m sure this recent sale of a Terminator VHS tape was a motivator:

https://screenrant.com/terminator-vhs-first-tape-auction-sold-price-details/

On 5/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

What about "home movies?" hm 

No one wants to grade that video of you and the sheep, Mark. 

I was going to send a few tapes out to the other grading company, but I will hold out and see what this is going to be like.  I have a still sealed TMNT VHS tape and few other sealed tapes that I can send in.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:27 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

No one wants to grade that video of you and the sheep, Mark. 

you reminded me of this, which i don't think was on VHS, but hopefully I'm not as droll :tonofbricks: 

rL9eVnQ.gif?noredirect

Believe it or not, VHS, Cassette Tapes, 8-Tracks, and Vinyl sell really well right now - especially more obscure titles/packaging variants and new sealed in box can be very lucrative.

Many of the reseller/flipper channels I watch have been hinting at grading services starting up on these for awhile now and figured it was only a matter of time.

Only a very small handful of tapes would I pay serious money for.

The Top VHS tape I would go for is a rare first printing of Halloween with "Meda" on the front in high grade.

I wonder if a sealed copy even exists.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:31 PM, Rip said:

Would love to see Laserdisc, Vinyl and CED grading as well.

Personally. I don’t care. Maybe a business opportunity for some one.

CGC already has their hand full. They already have problems to work out without opening another Pandora’s Box.

But money seems to be all that matters these days…

On 5/9/2022 at 3:21 PM, Bronty said:

Good luck.   I don't have any of the tapes or any interest in them really, but I do have some of the original art for those

YrEvcgR9_1908141413321.jpg

:x

It would be cool to have a 10.0 grade on a VHS copy of 10.0 Earthquake hm