• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steve B is joining Mycomicshop
2 2

173 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

He's one of the only people who knows WTF is going on at CBCS. You think they'll improve without him!?

From what i've seen over the past 20 years at least at cons Boracks primary interest is purchasing Comics or Art from one table then looking to sell them at another table (or seemingly anyone he talks to, like me many times) for a profit.   He always seems like a decent guy but that has zero to do on his acumen as a professional business person.

If what you said is true, then that is very scary and yeah they might be toast. I had wanted them to succeed very much but they lost the battle of perception years ago.

BTW as long as he sticks strictly to Consignment end, it could be perfect role for him?

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/17/2022 at 1:13 PM, MAR1979 said:

From what i've seen over the past 20 years at least at cons Boracks pimary interest is purchasing Comics or Art from one table then looking to sell them at another table (or seemingly anyone he talks to) for a profit.

If he what you said then that is very scary and yeah they might be toast. I had wanted them to succeed very much but they lost the battle for perception years ago.

Seems to me like his primary interest is just the business of comic books. There's plenty of evidence on their boards that he's hands-on in the business and not just there to collect cash.

Moving from CBCS to MCS is likely going to be fantastic for both MCS and Borock. I cannot see the former improving with whoever replaces Steve. This is a huge hit to their brand, IMO.

I doubt the majority of people who submit know who the head grader of either company is. I have no idea who the head grader at CGC is, or who it has been for about a decade. I knew Steve was President at CBGS but not the head grader.

When Steve is no longer employed by their competitor, I hope he makes a return to these boards. 

On 5/17/2022 at 10:43 AM, mycomicshop said:

We may make small tweaks to our grading standards at the margins, but no big changes. That's something we've already been looking at and would be working on with or without Steve. I'm fine with our standards being tighter than CGC and CBCS to some degree, but I don't want to go too far.

I started consigning books with you almost from Day One, many years ago, but I'm not currently sending you raw books.  I'd love to, as I'm looking to downsize but your recent grades are ludicrious.  After submitting so many books, I had a good idea how you'd grade them and I could send you stuff confident of how they would be graded.  Not recently. I've been told a consigner can call and appeal individual books but if I'm going to quibble over grades, I can do that on ebay

Edited by shadroch

On 5/17/2022 at 1:25 PM, shadroch said:

I doubt the majority of people who submit know who the head grader of either company is. I have no idea who the head grader at CGC is, or who it has been for about a decade. I knew Steve was President at CBGS but not the head grader.

When Steve is no longer employed by their competitor, I hope he makes a return to these boards. 

That is interesting...I know the head grader at CBCS was Steve but not who it is at CGC.

Edited by jeffreyk