• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buy anything?
2 2

55 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 11:47 PM, Bill C said:

3 of the Paolo Rivera head shots went for seemingly crazy prices- but those were auctions, they werent priced crazy as a BIN.

was tempted to go for that Spider-Gwen head shot by Paolo during the auction. Glad I held back in the end!

On 5/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, IceHole said:

I did get one piece during the event...big thing was seeing a Tradd Moore "Silver Surfer Black" page sell (that I did at one point own) during the event.  Donno if anyone else saw that seller is giving 5% of the sale back to Tradd.

I only collect surfer. But 20k? For a recent page I thought was crazy. Then again I don’t have any trad surfer so maybe I’m clueless (shrug)

On 5/26/2022 at 8:36 AM, G.A.tor said:

I only collect surfer. But 20k? For a recent page I thought was crazy. Then again I don’t have any trad surfer so maybe I’m clueless (shrug)

My understanding is that's the going rate for basic pages from that series. Tradd talking head pages from other books easily sell for $2k nowadays. SSB is his most desired work.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, Varanis said:

My understanding is that's the going rate for basic pages from that series. Tradd talking head pages from other books easily sell for $2k nowadays. SSB is his most desired work.

Luckily I have no desire to own one of his pages, and at those prices, even if I did , I wouldn’t 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:39 AM, G.A.tor said:

I did get a neat Grindberg surfer page on Sunday. 

he does a good surfer, and I enjoyed his work for Marvel in this era. He likes the overwrought facial expressions a bit too much sometimes but I like Grindberg. He does Frazetta influenced work as well as, what, I guess Neal Adams comic-influenced stuff. Good cosmic artist.

Edited by Bird

Tradd definitely has a very solid following. One of the more innovative of this era. He also holds on to a lot of his art, so supply is very limited. All these factors have created a pretty big market for his stuff. 

Silver Surfer Black tend to be the most desirable, but I’ve been watching his Ghost Rider pages steadily creep up as well. Luther Strode is also continuing to increase. 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:46 PM, Xatari said:

Tradd definitely has a very solid following. One of the more innovative of this era. He also holds on to a lot of his art, so supply is very limited. All these factors have created a pretty big market for his stuff. 

Silver Surfer Black tend to be the most desirable, but I’ve been watching his Ghost Rider pages steadily creep up as well. Luther Strode is also continuing to increase. 

Indeed! He certainly has a lot of hardcore fans. I got a SSB page earlier this year, and the artwork is especially beautiful up close. I had noticed the other prices rising, too.

5D322F4C-2C43-49E5-A617-B274C87C3239.thumb.jpeg.b55f56e10b190ace7faf4f651612523c.jpeg

I got one page this year. The John Buscema Mephisto vs page from Anthony. I had to pay a bit over value, but it was an excellent Mephisto/Thor/Hela page, and one of two big nostalgia pages from my youth that I wanted from that series. I was trying to keep my powder dry for some upcoming cons, but you all know that song and dance.

”Yeah, I’m kind of tapped for now and waiting for…you have what?…Here’s my wallet, just take what you need.”

On 5/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Indeed! He certainly has a lot of hardcore fans. I got a SSB page earlier this year, and the artwork is especially beautiful up close. I had noticed the other prices rising, too.

5D322F4C-2C43-49E5-A617-B274C87C3239.thumb.jpeg.b55f56e10b190ace7faf4f651612523c.jpeg

I couldn’t afford SSB pages but I did score some awesome Ghost Rider. 

BCF93C0A-55CA-4A80-96F5-9C423AF2E1E4.thumb.jpeg.9da1dd7ffb185a76aba0e740b93814a3.jpeg8083775D-6070-40B6-9ED0-2B8B1843EE5D.thumb.jpeg.40cc6853518687345b62334c7c6b322e.jpeg

On 5/28/2022 at 9:46 AM, Xatari said:

He also holds on to a lot of his art, so supply is very limited.

He's held onto everything post-SSB. But everything before that is pretty much out there. The issue is that very few people are letting things go. Especially not SSB. The numbers are tempting, of course, but it's one of those things that if you sell, you're unlikely to ever get another example. So most are still hanging on for now.

It was actually Tradd's work that kick-started my comic art collection. Once I knew comic art was available to purchase, it was his work I wanted. My biggest regret is holding off on buying a few of his pages because something better was bound to come along. When that moment arrived Tradd decided not to sell 😭

It's agonising and amazing seeing his art disappear and prices shoot up in real time! 🥲