• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buy anything?
2 2

55 posts in this topic

I did pick up a Tim Sale Dark Victory page on Saturday. Only sold one piece but sometimes it goes that way. 

Overall, I love this virtual con. Where else can you see all this art for sale at once. I agree that some pieces are overpriced but there is always some deals to be had. 

Can’t wait for the next one. 

Looking through the sold items, seems like a successful enough event. Nothing I saw I needed. I’ll echo others… lots of the same unsold stuff as the previous live event, and recycled art in general. Aspirational prices. Saw a few questionable first appearance designations. But that’s the market in general, so can’t fault the live event for that - just stands out more when all in the same place. 

I sold 9 of 24 pages including a few pages that didn't sell last time (but I didn't raise the prices either) - I bought a handful of pages as well and missed 2 other pages.

To buy these days, you have to know your sub-market pretty well so not so easy for a new entrant to know they are getting a fair shake.

I'm not a fan of folk that list items at 2-3 X value as if they sell the likely newer buyer is now turned off a great hobby - I don't have an answer but don't feel the community should be supportive of the behavior either.  I'd grant an exclusion for the whole birth page thing.

In summary, I think CAL is awesome!

As a premium member, I started looking right at the start. I tried to purchase four pieces but was successful with only one. That has happened to me at previous Comic Art Live, but not at that bad a ratio.

I forgot to list a price on one of my paintings  :facepalm: . . . then some smart-azz triggers a purchase with me!  lol

Maybe I should honor the 'sale' on the understanding that in case of non-delivery I will offer a full refund.  :devil:

Guest Race

It would be more successful if they did not allow the ridiculous pieces which are only attractive for the 1% of the 1% -- which most of us OA collectors are not. I find it immediately off-putting to open up CAF Live and see pieces at $50,000-$175,000 in my face -- a number of which were on CAF Live before or have been seen at cons six months ago (hello Albert no one normal is taking that Mister Miracle splash at 55, go send it to Heritage for the hedge fund buyers). 

Yes, there are filters. But these pieces have no place in what I would call an OA jumble sale at which the average actual sale is likely to be something in the range of sub-$5K.

Edited by Race