• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding/Buying A Collection: The Imagination Stage
3 3

112 posts in this topic

I often dream about befriending an older gentlemen who, upon discovering our shared passion of comics, decides to re-home his outstanding collection of EC. 

My guess for the comics? A warehouse box full of Major Inapak the Space Ace.

Challengers, Blackhawks, and beat up World's Finest Comics. Some Doom Patrols, but not the two that are worth anything. Thrashed Actions and Detectives, but no Adams issues. Lots of reprint Marvel squarebounds.

My guess is a couple of Lassies, some Roy Rogers, a few Our Army at War, and some Turok Son of Stone.

But I hope you find a bunch of super hero stuff instead!

On 5/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I admire the specificity and would feel inclined to ship you said books pro bono should they appear 

So your telling me I have a chance!!!!

I love these things! You have to keep hope alive. Yes, it could be tons of Superman 75’s and 80’s PSI Force, but there’s always the chance it could be something cooler. What’s great is that even if it’s not big keys or GA/SA/BA, it could be other cool stuff that you don’t have and it brings a smile to your face. I can’t even count the number of times that’s happened to me. Keep us posted! 

Well, if we're going to dream, let's go big...

They probably have an Amazing Fantasy #15, a Detective Comics #27, a Batman #1, an X-Men #1, and a dozen Action Comics #1 fresh in a box from the publisher, all 9.4 or higher.

Sadly, seeing the books might have to wait longer than I hoped. My friend is very busy this week between an event and her other job so it appears doubtful I will see the comics this week. She seemed pretty flustered when I stopped by to chat briefly so I did not want to push the matter at the moment.

BUTTTTTTTTT....another friend, whose comic collection I helped sell almost a decade ago because he needed money for his divorce, told me he still has some comics (if I recall, some where titles I had a hard time moving then, like Alpha Flight, Marvels Greatest featuring FF and Marvel Two In One). He mentioned at the time, he held back some books he liked that he still has and thinks he should probably just go through it all again. I convinced him to bring them in Thursday so in one way or another, garshdarnit, I will see some comics this week. He mentioned he has X-Men issue 4, which I am excited to see. From previous experience, I know his collection was mostly 1975-1985 range. When I helped him sell stuff ten years back, we moved all his X-Men (a solid run including a Giant Size X-Men 1, in lower grade). He also had a bunch of comics still in their "sleeves" from the mail. I think he kept a few, the others we tossed because at the time, we did not think they had much value (just a brown piece of paper that slid over the comic and then was stamped with his address and shipped to him). A wiser me now would have kept a few but at the time I sold them with those included. So I have a general idea what he has but am unsure exactly what books he kept back (and neither does he). I even tried to describe the X-Men #4 cover to make sure it was the one I'm hoping it is, but it did not ring a bell. He was pretty much only active in comics from 1975-1985, saying that once he hit University, comics were replaced by girls and music (to this day he has more CDS and boxed sets and albums than anyone I know).

As always, pics will be shared! Ditto for any buys or negotiations!

On 5/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, comicginger1789 said:

He mentioned he has X-Men issue 4, which I am excited to see. From previous experience, I know his collection was mostly 1975-1985 range.

I'm expecting you'll show us Omega Red's first appearance, not Magneto's second appearance. :foryou:

On 5/24/2022 at 2:16 PM, ramrodcar said:

I'm expecting you'll show us Omega Red's first appearance, not Magneto's second appearance. :foryou:

Haha well I know for fact it won’t be. He didn’t buy a single comic from that time period. If anything he is misremembering the issue number or maybe it’s X-Men annual 4 (altho I recall selling that era of books when I did for him….unless he kept a copy back for some reason lol)

Edited by comicginger1789