• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 11:11 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So new update. 

We are now at page 16 and still it appears that all of the members on the board all agree that this announcement is a horrid idea. 

not as bad as this one....

although, probably the most accurately graded books in the last 2 years...no notes necessary

CGC Asks Bad Idea To Stop Selling The Slabbed Invisible Comics

On 5/25/2022 at 11:40 PM, VintageComics said:

Fair enough. 

More corporate bondage. Just like an Apple device, I guess. 

I'm not commenting on whether it's worse or better, it's just corporate branding that's responsible for it over all. 

Well, CGC does talk to it's dealer base (largest submitters) looking for feedback. I think most companies care what their largest customers have to say about their products.

And I'm guessing that the largest submitters are the largest sales sites (like auction houses) and it probably is easier to get consistent prices when the products are more consistent looking. 

The same logic was used when they took stuff off the labels like 'rusty staples' off the labels 15=20 years ago.

For those that don't realize it, this sort of thing happened once already. It's just more streamlining. 

I have no idea for sure so I'm just spit balling. 

Hi, and thanks  for  pointing that out, if the subject is what vital info might be easily justified as going  on a label, that would have been pretty close  to #1 for me...I  can guess everyone has  their  own list  of most hated defects. 

On 5/26/2022 at 11:14 AM, crassus said:

Hi, and thanks  for  pointing that out, if the subject is what vital info might be easily justified as going  on a label, that would have been pretty close  to #1 for me...I  can guess everyone has  their  own list  of most hated defects. 

There was an uproar back then as well. 

The market just wasn't as big as it is today so the uproar is louder. 

They're not going to reverse their decision so people can just decide whether they want to pay for a membership to have access to notes or not.

We all wanted our comics to be more valuable but this is what happens when the value becomes big enough: the hobby changes. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 5/26/2022 at 10:14 AM, Funnybooks said:

not as bad as this one....

although, probably the most accurately graded books in the last 2 years...no notes necessary

CGC Asks Bad Idea To Stop Selling The Slabbed Invisible Comics

Sad but true.

Unfortunately their "think tank" sure has been brainstorming a bunch of Bad Ideas as of late.

On 5/26/2022 at 11:37 AM, buttock said:

Mods notified. 

I don't think there's anyone who hasn't. lol

On 5/26/2022 at 10:48 AM, Wipple said:

Tape

Significant missing parts from the cover

So, all I have to do is reholder this bad boy and I have a blue label with no notes.

The announcement says "CGC will continue to identify on the label any significant missing pieces, pages, wraps or inserts from the interior of a comic."  Good question whether only interior (and not cover) missing pieces should be mentioned on label, since cover issues are plain to see (or so they presume).  Not always the case with light covers!  

Edited by Pantodude

On 5/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, Pantodude said:

No.  The announcement is pretty clear (language-wise...in practice, time will tell!).  Is says "CGC will continue to identify on the label any significant missing pieces, pages, wraps or inserts from the interior of a comic."  

My post was accurate- you edited your response. :goodvsevil:

CGC this is just a horrible idea. 

I attended megacon this past weekend and looked at at least 30 graded books. I am now expected to lookup each book to see what defects they may have. 

Grader notes are not free. I have to have a paid membership to access the notes.

• Administrator
On 5/25/2022 at 1:39 PM, Iceman399 said:

image.thumb.png.d6cacfd0d7bef5aaa4320c7ca65f9937.png

I have e-mailed Matt about this, and he has contacted the group to correct this.  Hopefully, they get it fixed ASAP.