• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I thought they also met to discuss Roy

:baiting:@VintageComics

Just as an FYI, this is an inside joke and I had nothing to do with this new change. :peace:

But I can understand why they did it. Corporate products look better when they are more homogamous and slick.

And it's also for the same reason they also removed several 'label notes' from the labels 15 years ago when they revamped the labels. They don't want one book looking worse or better than the other in the same grade. Finally, it removes visual clutter. 

Again, more homogenous and slick. 

The positive is that grading notes are available for free to everyone now. 

Whatever you think of this on the merits, the ”prominent member of the community” thing is a major gaffe.  Who gave that the green light?  Is there any more obvious deflection?  Hey, this wasn’t our idea—it was the idea of a bunch of “prominent” members show shall remain nameless.  This is a more egregious comic-grading version of the political non-answer utilization of the passive voice: “Mistakes were made.” 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, Beyonder123 said:

For free to anyone with a paid membership, as I understand it.

Fair enough. 

More corporate bondage. Just like an Apple device, I guess. 

I'm not commenting on whether it's worse or better, it's just corporate branding that's responsible for it over all. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

Whatever you think of this on the merits, the ”prominent member of the community” thing is a major gaffe.  Who gave that the green light?  Is there any more obvious deflection?  Hey, this wasn’t our idea—it was the idea of a bunch of “prominent” members show shall remain nameless.  This is a more egregious comic-grading version of the political non-answer utilization of the passive voice: “Mistakes were made.” 

Well, CGC does talk to it's dealer base (largest submitters) looking for feedback. I think most companies care what their largest customers have to say about their products.

And I'm guessing that the largest submitters are the largest sales sites (like auction houses) and it probably is easier to get consistent prices when the products are more consistent looking. 

The same logic was used when they took stuff off the labels like 'rusty staples' off the labels 15=20 years ago.

For those that don't realize it, this sort of thing happened once already. It's just more streamlining. 

I have no idea for sure so I'm just spit balling. 

Corporate badging IS important for Retail etc. IMO, its not for a product that's only service (besides encasement) is giving a professional assessment of the vintage item before them, with he idea of setting a baseline.

It looks like they are taking off notes from the label that is stating the obvious and you can't just be a label reader anymore, you actually have to look at the book you're buying.  Now comes the part where an eBayer wants a return cause you didn't mention in the listing that is has a sticker on the cover.  

On 5/25/2022 at 10:49 PM, Kevin76 said:

It looks like they are taking off notes from the label that is stating the obvious and you can't just be a label reader anymore, you actually have to look at the book you're buying.  Now comes the part where an eBayer wants a return cause you didn't mention in the listing that is has a sticker on the cover.  

I think stickers, hole punches, and miscuts (which is a manu defect)  are obvious to the eye...that's about the only ones to remove to me.

Edited by CJ Design

On 5/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, szav said:

I’m also available to look up graders notes for anyone for a $5.00 fee.  PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle accepted.

Now THERE'S a true capitalist! You can't stop a corrupt decision, but you sure can profit from it! xD

On 5/25/2022 at 2:43 PM, mycomicshop said:

I don't see how this provides us any advantage as a dealer or auction house either. If anything it's going to mean we have to field more questions from potential bidders/buyers asking us to verify details that previously would have been on the label.

So, Conan, does MCS currently, or will they in the future, provide graders notes in the listings for slabbed books?

On 5/26/2022 at 4:25 PM, ttfitz said:

So, Conan, does MCS currently, or will they in the future, provide graders notes in the listings for slabbed books?

They'll have to in the future. Most of their buyers probably don't have a CGC account. This is ridiculous, the whole thing. Whatever insufficiently_thoughtful_person thought of this at CGC should be fired, and their 'prominent customers' downgraded to just 'customers'. Or call them what they are, 'auction houses'. 

Edited by Cat

On 5/26/2022 at 5:46 AM, Wall-Crawler said:

Sellers on eBay may want to do themselves a favour and just include screen shot of grader notes now. Save the hassle of being asked for them...I always obliged but I really don't see ANY actual benefit to this decision...Other than more monies for CGC...

People selling at conventions or in person at home will have to do this too. How convenient.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, bc said:

This is my book as an example:

image.png.1bc17d543914d801bac295c41bfd036a.png

Sorry its so small, the Label Text reads: "Very small amount of dried glue on spine of cover. (1 piece of tape on interior cover.)"

Here are the Grader's Notes:

Grader Notes:

• Bottom Back Cover Piece Out
  • Bottom Spine Restoration Lite Glue
  • Bottom Spine Spine Split
  • Bottom Staple Cover Detached
  • Center Spine Small Tear
  • Left Bottom Back Cover Large Crease
  • Right Bottom Front Cover Restoration Small Tear Seal
  • Right Top Front Cover Multiple Crease
  • Spine Wear

Anyone see where the "1 piece of tape on interior cover" is disclosed in the Grader's Notes?

-bc

We call that Fair to Good where I come from.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Finally, it removes visual clutter. 

Again, more homogenous and slick. 

Yet the big ugly white box and ridiculous hologram sticker remain. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:30 PM, VintageComics said:

The positive is that grading notes are available for free to everyone now. 

100% untrue. 

On 5/26/2022 at 4:58 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yet the big ugly white box and ridiculous hologram sticker remain. 

100% untrue. 

Do you intend on making all of your comments pure negativity towards CGC?

At this point it just seems like you're here to advertise for someone else, who happens to be no better than the brand you bash incessantly.

Terrible. Except from the corporate perspective. If the only way to access the graders' notes is through membership, then that means more revenue, if people join just to have access to the notes. But is that really going to occur? Regardless, this is just terrible, as most have expressed.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Do you intend on making all of your comments pure negativity towards CGC?

At this point it just seems like you're here to advertise for someone else, who happens to be no better than the brand you bash incessantly.

Look around... am I really the only one here saying CGC is wrong?  Or am I just the only one who triggers you?   Rhetorical, of course.  I honestly don't care. 

I have issues with both companies.  But these threads you're reading, on the CGC forum, are dedicated to calling out CGC's mistakes.  Not the other companies'.   Surely you grasp this? 

I would suggest any time you see my name... keep scrolling. 

Yw.