• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, sergex23 said:

That has to be a mistake, right?  Where was Quality Control?

Unfortunately no, I believe the link at the beginning of the thread explains it

On 9/9/2022 at 7:39 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Unfortunately no, I believe the link at the beginning of the thread explains it

But there is a line that says:

"The CGC label will continue to display restoration, conservation and qualifiers as we have in the past, including married parts, color copies, wrong parts, coverless comics, individual wraps and pages, multiple covers, additional inserts and unverified signatures on the cover."

On 9/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, sergex23 said:

But there is a line that says:

"The CGC label will continue to display restoration, conservation and qualifiers as we have in the past, including married parts, color copies, wrong parts, coverless comics, individual wraps and pages, multiple covers, additional inserts and unverified signatures on the cover."

I agree. I also agree it's one more thing that complicates QC to begin with, by changing the rules! Long time workers will be at the mercy along with newbies. We have that to look forward to.

On 9/9/2022 at 7:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Apparently not a mistake but new protocol according to CGC Mike (shrug)

It's one thing for a company to consider the cost(s) of making a business decision - completely understandable. It's another the make money the sole factor in making every decision. And to top it off, lying thru your teeth to your customers about why you made that decision. Wouldn't it be great if this company was honest with us at least some of the time?

Decision: FedEx is the sole return shipper

Reason given: "With the updates, many return shipments will arrive faster and at a lower cost to submitters"

Decision: label changes

Reason given: "Based on feedback from prominent members of the collecting community..."

Decision: no 'hold at location' option on return shipping

Reason given: "This is to ensure the packages are received by the intended recipient as quickly and safely as possible. "

Etc., etc.

It's so plainly obvious that no consideration at all is given to the collector, or the collecting community. If money can be made/saved (regardless of the collector/community), it will be done.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:18 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If there ARE NO NOTES< it Says, "graders notes unavailable" (thumbsu 

Hey how ya been Adamantium? I was looking to see if there was a topic about this. So I'm looking at a pretty big Xela Sci-Fi book that was just graded in February and it says graders notes unavailable. 

I find it hard to believe there would be no notes at all on this 4.0. But if what you say is always true about having no notes then I guess it's possible. But it makes me feel uneasy a big money mid grade book having no notes at all. Surely there are defects worth noting. For all I know it could have a wad of 75 year old gum in it. Wish there was a way I could find out why it graded a 4.0. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 12:03 AM, Professor K said:

Hey how ya been Adamantium? I was looking to see if there was a topic about this. So I'm looking at a pretty big Xela Sci-Fi book that was just graded in February and it says graders notes unavailable. 

I find it hard to believe there would be no notes at all on this 4.0. But if what you say is always true about having no notes then I guess it's possible. But it makes me feel uneasy a big money mid grade book having no notes at all. Surely there are defects worth noting. For all I know it could have a wad of 75 year old gum in it. Wish there was a way I could find out why it graded a 4.0. 

It's a courtesy for sure, and I agree, it would be hard pressed to find a 4.0 with no notes, although I believe you! @Professor K

There shouldn't be any other reason I don't think that they wouldn't be available though...

Afaik looking up graders notes is free for everyone, which it used to not be, and other than maybe looking up to many certs per day then idk.

Looking up graders notes is free for everyone now, except if you don't have a paid membership and or are not logged in? Then they limit to only ten or so lookups per day....

Other than that? (shrug) that reminds me there is this thread that says it may not work if you're accidentally on the CGC Cards division of the registry? Apparently that is the first to come up in a Google search

You need to be here

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

Which I hope the link works because I am logged in, so for it to work you may need to be logged in as well, I'm not sure 😊

Edited by ADAMANTIUM