• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2022 at 10:42 AM, Gaard said:

CGC has given 2 reasons for making this decision. They are the first 2 sentences of their announcement.

The first sentence - "Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, not as many defects will be listed on the certification label."  This is false. Well, not completely. It would be more accurate if the word "some" would've been included. I hope CGC didn't intentionally try to mislead people, but I feel, given their history, they probably did.

The second sentence ... "Based on feedback from prominent members of the collecting community, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is implementing a change that will reduce the number of defects that are identified on the comic book label. " Although, it can't be proven to be false, none of these so-called "prominent members" have come forward. The general consensus is that it also is false and CGC is, once again, trying to mislead people.

It's pretty telling that CGC hasn't addressed either of these points even though they have been asked about them since the announcement came out. I have personally talked to 2 different people at CS (Jennifer and Dean) and neither have answered my questions ... Why was this decision made? and What are the upsides to CGC comic buyers that this decision brings?

Wouldn't it be nice if just once our beloved (or once beloved) CGC was honest with us?

I agree. 

If they have a reasonable explanation for going forward with these changes, I feel like they should tell us.  Even if the answer is what we all assume (a took to sell more memberships) 

Right now it reads like "we want to boost membership and we think our customers are too stupid to realize we are making them pay for something that has always been free". 

• Administrator
On 6/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Red84 said:

@CGC MikeDoes CGC consider a seller providing the graders notes to a buyer as a prohibited "commercial purpose"?

This becomes particularly relevant if CGC is removing information from the label but is listing that information behind a paywall in the grader's notes.

Does CGC consider the provision of graders notes by a seller to a buyer to be a breach of the seller's agreement with CGC?

Will CGC permit sellers on this forum to post the graders notes for the books they list for sale on this forum?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.39.47 PM.png

A seller can provide the CGC Grader Notes for any collectible that they are selling. They should only display CGC Grader Notes on an individualized basis, not in an aggregated form (i.e., not as a searchable database, since that’s what our website is for).

On 6/4/2022 at 6:53 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 6/2/2022 at 5:44 PM, Red84 said:

@CGC MikeDoes CGC consider a seller providing the graders notes to a buyer as a prohibited "commercial purpose"?

This becomes particularly relevant if CGC is removing information from the label but is listing that information behind a paywall in the grader's notes.

Does CGC consider the provision of graders notes by a seller to a buyer to be a breach of the seller's agreement with CGC?

Will CGC permit sellers on this forum to post the graders notes for the books they list for sale on this forum?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.39.47 PM.png

Expand  

A seller can provide the CGC Grader Notes for any collectible that they are selling. They should only display CGC Grader Notes on an individualized basis, not in an aggregated form (i.e., not as a searchable database, since that’s what our website is for).

Thank you for this clarification! (thumbsu

On 6/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, Axe Elf said:

"affects story, but what do you care? it's in plastic, ya knucklehead"

The reason I asked that question is that as shown in Bry's Comics recent video, the "affects story" or "does not affect story" does not appear in the grader's notes as of before the new policy is in effect, it's only on the label. At least, that is the case for the book discussed in the video, a copy of FF #1 (I don't know if that is the case for every book with such a defect). So, if this is removed from the label and is not usually mentioned in the grader's notes, how will a buyer be able to know if a piece missing from a page is just the border or takes out a part of / a whole panel. Here is a link to the video that got me worried about this

Annual $150 Premium and Elite Membership Credit Now Applies to All Services and Fees

Posted on 6/8/2022

Effective immediately, the annual $150 credit given to Premium and Elite members covers grading, shipping, handling and all add-on services.

A popular benefit of Premium or Elite membership to any of the Certified Collectibles Group® (CCG®) companies is an annual $150 credit. Previously, the credit was only applicable to grading fees and some add-on services. Effective immediately, the credit has been expanded to cover not only grading, but also shipping, handling and all add-on services.

Premium and Elite members do not need to do anything to use the $150 credit. It will post to your account upon joining, renewing or upgrading at the Premium or Elite membership level. The credit will then be automatically applied to submissions and services until it is exhausted. Please note that if you have a member credit, you must still provide a valid payment method.

The credit is issued annually and expires on the membership expiration date listed on the confirmation email sent to members after joining, renewing or upgrading.

Ready to join or upgrade at the Premium or Elite level to take advantage of the $150 credit and many other benefits? Click here to learn more about the different membership tiers and choose the level that’s right for you.

@Buzzetta some might arue that this makes the "free" graders Notes worth it

On 6/8/2022 at 5:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

But then I still have to send my comics in and right now I don’t trust doing that. Fox the issues in quality control, I will wait 6-12 months after I see a substantial decrease in damages on books in their holder and then I will reevaluate.  However, I’m not breaking open a box of high value stuff to be CGC’s Guinea pig just to find out a year and a half after I send something in that they damaged it. 

Well noted, and I can see that justification. :)

I guess the ethics between "free" notes and now truly getting everything back from credit if your membership is actually paid for and USED, is a plus, but comes with the other things to be wary of, I've mostly sent in low grade for older books anyway,

but again, that's no excuse lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 6/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

If I have to buy a membership....

the notes aren’t free :gossip:

Ya I'm guessing that still holds.

At least the membership gives credit, to truly give everything back if used, but that doesnt take away the need to have the faith to send in and etc.

Especially with qc and other issues...

On 6/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, COI said:

Since we're expected to do a background check on every single book we look at, AND pay for the privilege, why even put a grade on the label? It's redundant.

You don't need to do any kind of check. The grade is all that matters. The reason(s) for the grade are redundant. :sumo:

On 6/4/2022 at 11:09 AM, KCOComics said:

I agree. 

If they have a reasonable explanation for going forward with these changes, I feel like they should tell us.  Even if the answer is what we all assume (a took to sell more memberships) 

Right now it reads like "we want to boost membership and we think our customers are too stupid to realize we are making them pay for something that has always been free". 

They gave their reason. It's not their fault that people are assuming the feedback came from members of the comic collecting community rather than the money collecting community.

On 6/8/2022 at 11:42 PM, Lazyboy said:

They gave their reason. It's not their fault that people are assuming the feedback came from members of the comic collecting community rather than the money collecting community.

So NGC?