• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/27/2022 at 11:37 PM, Steven Valdez said:

Yes. And it's a good thing all dealers and sellers are honest, because it would be dreadful if they weren't.

I’m not a member.  I don’t have access to the notes.  Am I unable to sell CGC books if I don’t pony up the $25?  What if nothing I sell ever had label notes to begin with?  What if there are no graders notes?:ohnoez:

On 5/28/2022 at 1:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m not a member.  I don’t have access to the notes.  Am I unable to sell CGC books if I don’t pony up the $25?  What if nothing I sell ever had label notes to begin with?  What if there are no graders notes?:ohnoez:

Exactly, and how detailed are the online notes going to be anyway? If a book is below 5.5, does that mean they don't have to mention a detached centerfold, as that would go without saying for the grade?

On 5/28/2022 at 10:41 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

At least yours still has wolvie torso on the first page  :roflmao:

:takeit:

I bought a Hulk #181 for 10 cents many years ago. Problem was, it had a huge '10 c' written on the cover in marker. Oh well, got it for half price.

Edited by Steven Valdez
extra info

On 5/27/2022 at 11:30 PM, KCOComics said:

That's disappointing to hear. 

I know people who have worked for him and they've always said really positive things. 

Yeah, I've talked to him at a number of conventions, and he's always been very nice. And I even told him up front that I wasn't a fan of slabbed comics and would never be a customer. lol

This reminded me of a book I was interested in a while ago on the boards: it is quite common for a book to have rusty staples only have visible rust inside the book. This particular book, if I remember correctly, was pretty drastic. 

So while some may see it as a “you can see it by looking at the book in the case”, that is definitely not always true. 

Edited by manetteska

So Great - now when I go to a Con or a store I need to be a member of CGC, sign in to CGC, try to find the book, and read the notes (if they exist) to see if there is writing in a book, full spine splits, missing pieces etc?!  Don't other vendors just PUT A DAMN QR code on their books and take you right to the graders notes that are included for EVERY BOOK?  HOW CONVENIENT!!! 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:26 PM, Erndog said:

I don't get it.

Every industry in the world has gone to MORE transparency, not less.

Why on earth would they remove information that allows buyers (and sellers) to make informed decisions on?

"redundancy" :makepoint::roflmao: 

They called it "too redundant" lol 

On 5/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Parameters Modified for Defects Listed on CGC Labels

Posted on 5/25/2022

Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, not as many defects will be listed on the certification label.

Traditionally, certain defects were listed on the CGC label if they were present on a certified comic book, which were also recorded in the comic book’s Grader Notes. Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, this redundancy is being eliminated from the label for the presence of the following defects:

bolded italics and underlined :banana: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/28/2022 at 1:17 PM, Bakerbr13 said:

I want to know who these "prominent" people are......if they even exist.

They don't exist.

It's CGC's way of saying "important people told us they wanted this" instead of just being honest with "screw you guys, we need more money".

On 5/28/2022 at 3:06 PM, KCOComics said:

@CGC Mike is Matt or anyway else planning to come explain the rationale behind this? 

If "prominent members of the community" asked for this, they obviously don't speak for the community. And since CGC was working with these prominent members to improve things,  now that they can clearly see how the community feels, they'll undo this, right? 

Or are we left to believe this was an effort to force membership subscriptions and CGC simply lied about the prominent members.... Or worse CGC conspired with a handful of high profile sellers to generate higher sales from clean labels. 

If CGC is going to move forward with an unpopular and seemingly unethical decision, aren't we at least owed an honest and transparent explanation as to why? 

Or was Matt's blurb about how it sometimes shouldn't matter, because we may be able to see the defect anyway, all we are going to get? 

Unfortunately I would bet that will be their only reply to this unless they decide to give one of those,

"We already answered this, which we did not have to do."    Posts..:facepalm:

It is utter garbage what they have decided to do and some of the carp they continue to do. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:46 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Yup. He's the worst - I've personally received comments from him when I was contacting CBCS about an issue I was having (books stuck with them for almost 2 years). I didn't expect the literal CEO of the company to tell me it wasn't their problem and to live with it. Haven't used them since.

After refusing to send two signed books on to the Beckett side for authentication, I informed him that both books were 100% legit. One was a CGC SS crack out and the other was eventually proven to have been signed for a family member of the signer. When I IM'd him and asked for the help he offered in the forums, he didn't respond. After a week and a half I told him I would have to let others know about my experience. He finally responded and stated that "we don't respond kindly to threats and with your attitude you won't get help."

But this was near the end of his tenure, so like I said, it's apparent to me the move away from CBCS was something he probably needed. My friend who runs a comic book store and pressing service in the south SF Bay area was offered to get in on the ground floor with CBCS but he didn't want to move...sure am glad he refused.

Whatever their original intentions, they have become truly lost.

Ra-s-Al-Ghul-batman-begins-11594810-608-361.jpg.4a42fd872f501c4e87410d88f4fd7693.jpg

Edited by trademarkcomics
Location, location, location