• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2022 at 7:01 PM, KCOComics said:

Where was the poll conducted? 

I was thinking about starting one in comics general. But I would like to make it very straightforward. Do you agree, yes or no? 

You should post a poll, but instead of listing the various choices, they should all say:

"Poll choices are available on our website by clicking HERE."

(...and then Rick Roll them.)

On 5/30/2022 at 7:01 PM, KCOComics said:

Where was the poll conducted? 

I was thinking about starting one in comics general. But I would like to make it very straightforward. Do you agree, yes or no? 

Go for it. 

On 5/31/2022 at 12:50 AM, ExNihilo said:

On the subject of QR codes, @CGC Mike did say that was in the pipeline.

Regarding the variety of QR codes posted here...I didn't scan any of them but I'm gonna be real disappointed if at least one of them didn't point to "Never Gonna Give You Up"

The very first QR code on this thread was this one. Found on Page 9.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:29 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

FTFY. 

20220525_162733.jpg.411a55120933eafeae51d0496294105f.jpg

Also the new Signature Series 

20220525_162423.thumb.jpg.6a27130a0ba5450326c49088d4eec9ad.jpg

And yes both are Rick Astley.  

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Add page number

I've been buying CGC books and using GCG services because it was the best and I had recommended many over the years to you guys.
However with these recent changes to the label being less descriptive about damages to the books as to some of the causes to why the book is graded the way it's graded, is in honestly being deceptive and when you have deception behind such a thing as a grading service your company becomes discredited of the honor, and integrity that your institution had stood for.

This can also be reflective that CGC is now aligning itself with comic book resellers because resellers find it harder to sell books that list defects and decided to reduce/remove these notes to help move CGC graded books to continue having resellers send in books for grading, or in likeliness resending books to get this new label to sell books that are labeled with such damage.

This change will only cause your hardcore comic book collectors to know of this and cause boycotting of your services and from buying CGC grade books in the future. I know that I will actively be boycotting buying any CGC grade books that are graded during the month of May 2022 and going forward when I search the barcode information of books going forward when deciding to buy a CGC graded book unless CGC goes back to the way it was before and stop this non-sense.

Why am I paying CGC to grade books if you're not going to grade the book properly? This is a terrible mistake you've taken and the publicity is not helping your reputation and the integrity of your grading services and people like us will be moving away from you and to your competitors over it. This is not a good move or look for you guys CGC. Please think this over and go back to how it was, because if you don't you will lose me and I will make this known to everyone I talk to about collecting comic books.

@CGC MikeDoes CGC consider a seller providing the graders notes to a buyer as a prohibited "commercial purpose"?

This becomes particularly relevant if CGC is removing information from the label but is listing that information behind a paywall in the grader's notes.

Does CGC consider the provision of graders notes by a seller to a buyer to be a breach of the seller's agreement with CGC?

Will CGC permit sellers on this forum to post the graders notes for the books they list for sale on this forum?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.39.47 PM.png

On 6/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Red84 said:

@CGC MikeDoes CGC consider a seller providing the graders notes to a buyer as a prohibited "commercial purpose"?

This becomes particularly relevant if CGC is removing information from the label but is listing that information behind a paywall in the grader's notes.

Does CGC consider the provision of graders notes by a seller to a buyer to be a breach of the seller's agreement with CGC?

Will CGC permit sellers on this forum to post the graders notes for the books they list for sale on this forum?

Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 5.39.47 PM.png

It's unfortunate that CGC seems to have decided to ignore all of our questions on this topic. 

I guess when you take an indefensible position, the best thing to do is not defend it. 

On 6/2/2022 at 7:29 PM, D84 said:

Let's be honest, people will still slab books to CGC, no matter what dumb :censored: decisions they  make

changed that

can I send in economy please? I plan to die on my 100th birthday in 2066, is there any chance they will be back by then? (Please note that my date of death is just an estimate)

Edited by Economy Joe

• Administrator
On 6/2/2022 at 10:04 PM, LSL said:

@CGC Mike

Will the term "affects story" or "does not affect story" now be present in the grader's notes?

I believe so.  the term "Affects story" will still be printed on the label.

• Administrator
On 6/3/2022 at 10:37 PM, LSL said:

@CGC Mike

Really? That would be great! Although the press release says it won't be anymore

I was given permission to post this response to Buzzetta's post.  

On 5/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, CGC Mike said:
On 5/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, Buzzetta said:

By them not denoting that on the label I will easily be able to slip that into the next Comiclink or Heritage auction for someone to bid that puppy up to max value in a way that I could never do before.

We are still identifying all missing parts from the interior like we have before.

From the press release...

"CGC is discontinuing the use of the term “incomplete” on its label, as well as the terms “affects story” and “does not affect story” when parts are missing from the interior of a comic. "

CGC has given 2 reasons for making this decision. They are the first 2 sentences of their announcement.

The first sentence - "Because CGC members now have free access to Grader Notes, not as many defects will be listed on the certification label."  This is false. Well, not completely. It would be more accurate if the word "some" would've been included. I hope CGC didn't intentionally try to mislead people, but I feel, given their history, they probably did.

The second sentence ... "Based on feedback from prominent members of the collecting community, Certified Guaranty Company® (CGC®) is implementing a change that will reduce the number of defects that are identified on the comic book label. " Although, it can't be proven to be false, none of these so-called "prominent members" have come forward. The general consensus is that it also is false and CGC is, once again, trying to mislead people.

It's pretty telling that CGC hasn't addressed either of these points even though they have been asked about them since the announcement came out. I have personally talked to 2 different people at CS (Jennifer and Dean) and neither have answered my questions ... Why was this decision made? and What are the upsides to CGC comic buyers that this decision brings?

Wouldn't it be nice if just once our beloved (or once beloved) CGC was honest with us?