• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nominating Tghutcn to the HOS or PL
7 7

Should Tghutcn be added to the HOS or PL list?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tghutcn be added to the HOS or PL list?

• Yes, he should be added to the Hall of Shame
    • Yes, he should be added to the Probation List
    • No, he should not be added to either.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/2022 at 04:01 PM

101 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 1:56 PM, F For Fake said:

I 100% understand why some folks think that HoS is too harsh in this instance, given that this was a gift exchange thread and not a typical business deal.

However, I think of HoS less as a punishment for the offender, and more as a warning to other boardies. In this instance, Hall of Shame, to me, doesn't mean "This is a bad person." It means "this guy dropped the ball and then disappeared off the face of the earth when dealing with a "fun" activity, so buyer beware if you were to enter into an actual business transaction with the guy." It's a heads up, and I think it's a reasonable one.

My sincere hope is that he'll pop up with a reasonable explanation, and we can do away with the whole thing. 

I am thinking its a difference of perception, perhaps, about what HoS vs PL means, because I generally agree with your thinking, but I associate the HoS precisely with judging people as "bad", i.e. you didn't just screw up and drop the ball, you set out to do a bad thing, malfeasance. My reading of the existing HoS listers is that they are there because there was documented malfeasance. My impression is that those above who have explained their reasoning for HoS are precisely saying (and I will admit make a strong case) that they believe the offender set out to deceive and to exploit the goodwill of members for selfish gain, and thus deserves HoS. If I was as certain of that I would vote HoS too, its just at present I think its more circumstantial and assumed than clearly documented, and is therefore better suited to the PL. 2c

On 6/7/2022 at 5:55 PM, jsilverjanet said:

at this rate I should nominate my wife for never giving me anywhere near what I've gifted to her in the past

@Buzzetta write it up

Interesting tidbit... I am still waiting for @Ebel 1911 to send me the three WWII War Bond books that I claimed in the Christmas raffle of 2016.  :whistle:

On 6/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, jsilverjanet said:

at this rate I should nominate my wife for never giving me anywhere near what I've gifted to her in the past

@Buzzetta write it up

I think my practice wife put that somewhere in our divorce decree.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:54 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm sure this isn't the first person who hasn't sent in their gift exchange

@Selecta is currently on the probation list for purchasing and not paying in 2017. Apparently, he was on the PL in 2014 for the same thing and somehow got themselves removed.

They were also a deadbeat Santa for @skypinkblu in 2017, but he wasn't added to the PL until after the Gift Exchange was over for that year. If I'd had known about his transgressions before hand, I may have barred his participation in 2017.

On 6/7/2022 at 5:54 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I'm sure this isn't the first person who hasn't sent in their gift exchange

But probably the first to not send in their gift exchange, claim two gifts in the raffle and not send their raffle gift. 

My feeling is he dropped the ball, 3 times and it's egregious because of the holiday issue. I've heard from too many people over the years say that they never got their gift, so quit participating.

If he's in England, the postage might have been an issue...but he could have said something.

I hope that he's OK, if he was not, I'm not sure how he was well enough to claim two raffle prizes, it doesn't make sense. However, we have a precedent for rescinding a HOS nomination, so surely if he comes back and can show he was ill and is going to make amends of some kind, I'd certainly be amenable to a vote on a change of status.

If others think probation is better, I'm fine with that...but he should have SOME consequences for not fulfilling his obligations, he never even posted during the Raffle period that he still had not sent his Secret Santa gift.

The people who never got their gifts or prizes are important, too. Let's not forgot that while we agonize about punishing someone who didn't follow the rules...or at least SAY something...so we didn't' have innocent people checking their mail for weeks.

I can be persuaded to go either way, or neither. I voted HoS, but the arguments against it are compelling. Is there a fourth way? Who’s up for a “Holiday Deadbeats” list?

On 6/7/2022 at 9:19 PM, F For Fake said:

I can be persuaded to go either way, or neither. I voted HoS, but the arguments against it are compelling. Is there a fourth way? Who’s up for a “Holiday Deadbeats” list?

What do we send them, those deadbeats?used toilette papers?:jokealert:i mean what would be the deadbeat list for?what would it do?

Edited by Namtak

On 6/7/2022 at 9:23 PM, Namtak said:

What do we send them, those deadbeats?used toilette papers?i mean what would be the deadbeat list for?what would it do?

I like your used toilet paper idea and am ready to put it to a vote! All in favor? Aye. Motion carried!

On 6/7/2022 at 5:46 PM, crassus said:

I am thinking its a difference of perception, perhaps, about what HoS vs PL means, because I generally agree with your thinking, but I associate the HoS precisely with judging people as "bad", i.e. you didn't just screw up and drop the ball, you set out to do a bad thing, malfeasance. My reading of the existing HoS listers is that they are there because there was documented malfeasance. My impression is that those above who have explained their reasoning for HoS are precisely saying (and I will admit make a strong case) that they believe the offender set out to deceive and to exploit the goodwill of members for selfish gain, and thus deserves HoS. If I was as certain of that I would vote HoS too, its just at present I think its more circumstantial and assumed than clearly documented, and is therefore better suited to the PL. 2c

Well said, and I don’t necessarily disagree. Did I mention that I’m the easily suggestible type?

I voted HOS, in large part because, like Sha, I've heard from people who have stopped participating in either the raffle or the gift exchange either because they didn't get something or they'd heard there were issues... and for someone to do that at the holidays is really unfathomable.

Plus, I honestly believe that as bad as it is when someone violates the trust of another board member in an individual sales transaction? Not following through on either the raffle or the gift exchange violates the trust of the ENTIRE COMMUNITY.

And, let's face it - this is not even an isolated incident... but a pattern of behavior.

So that's three strikes and you're out for me.  I apologize using a baseball analogy seeing as he's from England. I'm sure there's a cricket equivalent, but I'm simply not aware of it.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:06 AM, fmaz said:

Plus, I honestly believe that as bad as it is when someone violates the trust of another board member in an individual sales transaction? Not following through on either the raffle or the gift exchange violates the trust of the ENTIRE COMMUNITY.

:golfclap: