• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is inflation and a potential recession changing your collecting habits?
4 4

82 posts in this topic

well, for me?  I'm gonna build back better :banana:

oh wait, that won't work. I'll probably hold on my purchases for awhile until the whole SHTF thing is over with although I[ll probably be long gone b4 that happens. My best to all 

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 6/13/2022 at 6:18 PM, ThatNerdyCanuck said:

It's a catch-22. I wont be buying as much, as it'll be unwise to spend money in this type of economy. On the other hand, other people will be offloading books and prices will be tanking, making it a fantastic opportunity to buy some books. 

With food prices and gas prices moving up and no end in sight for the war, I'm buying less entertainment . 

I’ve cut back considerably. I’ve also felt the squeeze of rising comic prices in general over the last few years, often wondering if I’ll soon be priced out of my few niches, such as 9.8 Action Comics from the 70s to 90s and Death and Return of Superman books. 

I only collect what I really enjoy and don’t think I’ve ever bought, or had a book graded, just for investment/resale purposes.

Having said that, not a lot has changed for me and comics (my buying has slowed because I need fewer book, not because of anything else), but I do grow more and more worried about things overall… definitely not eating as much steak, or cruising around in the Mini, among other things.

I have switched to GA bondage and horror slabs and raws, but in moderation.  No more variants, like Spawn #300, TEC #1000, AC #1000, etc.  That kind of chit has become too expensive…I’m no speculator.  I decided that I would rather look for, and buy, unique items…just can’t sell off my Modern collection fast enough to invest as much as I would like.  Probably a good thing… :ohnoez:

B15FD53F-A8A7-41AD-9DEF-664D8D91E930.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 10:41 AM, Iconic1s said:

I only collect what I really enjoy and don’t think I’ve ever bought, or had a book graded, just for investment/resale purposes.

Having said that, not a lot has changed for me and comics (my buying has slowed because I need fewer book, not because of anything else), but I do grow more and more worried about things overall… definitely not eating as much steak, or cruising around in the Mini, among other things.

Yeah,  we have definitely cut down a bit on outside dining

On 6/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I only invest in secure things like Bitconned. Yesterday I made five cents. Granted, I lost six cents before that but, still, ...

FTFY

57B32EC9-67C5-439D-B8D6-98B6B3B42485.jpeg

Mostly stopped buying comics a while ago, not because of recession but because there wasn't much left I wanted.  Still buying the occasional statue and other collectible though, such as games, and I'm not seeing that stuff going down at all, so it doesn't seem like collectors care much about a recession, at least for what I track. 

Also, I'm doing some home repairs/upgrades and I can tell you that stuff is at all time highs, and even at all time high prices, at least around here, it's still extremely difficult to get people to come out quickly (siding installers, for example).  Had a flooring installer tell me they weren't even doing estimates because he was booked through September.  

On 6/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, Galen130 said:

I have switched to GA bondage and horror slabs and raws, but in moderation.  No more variants, like Spawn #300, TEC #1000, AC #1000, etc.  That kind of chit has become too expensive…I’m no speculator.  I decided that I would rather look for, and buy, unique items…just can’t sell off my Modern collection fast enough to invest as much as I would like.  Probably a good thing… :ohnoez:

B15FD53F-A8A7-41AD-9DEF-664D8D91E930.gif

stay away from the moderns kid! Haven't the 90's taught u anything/ Sheesh :pullhair: