• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is inflation and a potential recession changing your collecting habits?
4 4

82 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 4:51 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Being British, I thought that this was normal American behaviour anyway; forming militias, an armoury cupboard at home, that kind of thing? 

your King George III was leaning too hard on the colonies and it was a matter of time. Can't say I blame them

Edited by Courageous Cat

On 6/14/2022 at 1:47 PM, Courageous Cat said:

why would you invest now when we aren't even close to bottoming out now??

I still have a long investment horizon of about 30 years.  Time in the market > Timing the market.  I'm just indifferent to any potential gains that could be had seeing as how no one knows just where the bottom is.  Same reason I haven't sold anything (though I strongly considered it in February when news of the impending war first broke).

On 6/14/2022 at 6:40 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I never "invest" in comic books in the first place. All of my stuff could be worthless financially and it wouldn't change a thing for me.

Even though I've spent way too much on my collection, it's not for investment, so I'm in the same boat. Nothing will change.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:48 AM, Galen130 said:

I have switched to GA bondage and horror slabs and raws, but in moderation.  No more variants, like Spawn #300, TEC #1000, AC #1000, etc.  That kind of chit has become too expensive…I’m no speculator.  I decided that I would rather look for, and buy, unique items…just can’t sell off my Modern collection fast enough to invest as much as I would like.  Probably a good thing… :ohnoez:

B15FD53F-A8A7-41AD-9DEF-664D8D91E930.gif

Luckily, I learned that 40 years ago…

On 6/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, Iconic1s said:

I only collect what I really enjoy and don’t think I’ve ever bought, or had a book graded, just for investment/resale purposes.

Having said that, not a lot has changed for me and comics (my buying has slowed because I need fewer book, not because of anything else), but I do grow more and more worried about things overall… definitely not eating as much steak, or cruising around in the Mini, among other things.

High gas prices have just forced me to ride around on my vintage motorcycle more! 

On 6/14/2022 at 11:27 AM, Poekaymon said:

Immortal Hulk 25 1:500 Ross

Vampirella 2010 #1 1:500 Ross 

WW Black and Gold #6 1:25 Nakayama

Ultimatum #5 Dell'Otto Foil

Wolverine 2020 #1 Suayan C

X-Men Red #1 Lee

X-Men 2020 #1 1:500 Lau

Black Cat #1 Campbell G

Spider-Man #1 Facsimile Crain Gold

PU…

On 6/15/2022 at 3:39 AM, Buzzetta said:

Very much in the same boat as @Poekaymon, Before any of this happened, I kind of already have what I want and what I could ever reasonably obtain.  I downsized a lot of things over the last two years and at some point will look to clear out more space.   I was at this point last year as I question whether I’m buying something because I want something new or I really want it.  Asking myself that question before a purchase automatically helps keep purchasing at bay.  

Housing renovations have gone through the roof though in an already heavily inflated market where a bubble will pop again.  Trying to find someone to do the work is a challenge in of itself.   

I live in a section of the country where I can put my house on the market for $500,000 and I will get offers for $525k, $535k and so on.  Housing prices seem to be opening bids here and what they are going for is unsustainable.  When I eavesdrop on the train and here a guy saying he sold his house for $750k in an area that does not have the best schools or area in general that is alarming. 

I retire in 2,937 days anyway so there is a thought in my head of a countdown clock not just until I retire but days before I want to get rid of the bulk of it all. 

There are a few things that really make me smile and are must haves such as a lego set here and there and a couple of comics.  GA Timelys always get a glance from me but they are at a price where I can still buy one but I’d rather do something else with the money.  I was bidding on an item last night on eBay but eventually decided I can do other things with a $700 and dropped out thinking I would be the underbidder.  Insanely the item went for $1000.

I’ve not scaled back on things I do with family and loved ones.  A weekend getaway was pricier than usual but you cannot put a price tag on making memories with someone and would rather do that than buy more things that will go into a closet.  The trade off is that I did not go to any Phish shows back in April.  I would have gone myself but would have had to spend almost $300 a ticket per night. (2nd hand ticket prices are fierce.)

Combine that with turnaround times and the issues going on with CGC’s QC, I have not submitted books since the Eastman signing in January of 2021 and may not for still a long time to come. 

The more I look toward the future the less I have a need for “stuff” so I guess it’s not just a reevaluation of cost to participate in the things I like but that issue combined with having enough and life moving on. 

I’m right there as well. At this point in my life “stuff” isn’t as important than experiences. I have sold off a lot of “stuff for travel with my wife and family. Much more rewarding.

That being said, I still love my stuff. Comics, toys, vintage advertising as well as vintage electric guitars and motorcycles. Not buying much anymore because I have pretty much what I want and refuse to pay the crazy prices.

My collection has always been pretty much self funded so I have very little of my own money in it.

But the best part has always been the “thrill of the hunt”. Although I find my opportunities limited these days, I’m still enjoying the hunt actually more than the stuff it brings. 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, Robot Man said:

I’m right there as well. At this point in my life “stuff” isn’t as important than experiences. I have sold off a lot of “stuff for travel with my wife and family. Much more rewarding.

That being said, I still love my stuff. Comics, toys, vintage advertising as well as vintage electric guitars and motorcycles. Not buying much anymore because I have pretty much what I want and refuse to pay the crazy prices.

My collection has always been pretty much self funded so I have very little of my own money in it.

But the best part has always been the “thrill of the hunt”. Although I find my opportunities limited these days, I’m still enjoying the hunt actually more than the stuff it brings. 

That was something a stopped a long time ago.  It was something that a few people have noticed.  Even local toy shops have opted to see their better stuff online rather than their own stores.   Many people are not putting anything but garbage out at a garage sale or a flea market and are opting to become sellers themselves.   Our local flea markets are held at train stations and you really have to dig through and then dig another ten feet under to find something that is worth considering buying. 

So... I felt that my time was better spent making money to buy what I wanted rather than riding around aimlessly for days and weekends at a time looking at stuff I would never consider buying.  When it comes to 'new' stuff I just order directly from the company or retailer online rather than hope to find something "out in the wild."

Especially when it comes to new stuff. Let the people that want to do that all day go about their business and do it.  I will happily pay a 10% markup or buy it off Amazon during preorder opportunities for the hours I save myself and then I go about my day. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/14/2022 at 2:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

Dumb question: Are you ammo dudes expecting society to collapse and you have to use the ammo to kill people trying to take your food and shelter?  Because of a recession?  

Another dumb question: Does ammo have a decent secondary market?  Like, are you guys buying ammo just in case but also able to sell it to make a profit?  

1: Yes, I am not a gun hobbyist by any means, but I spent most of last year buying ammo when I could find it because society has shown me that at the drop of a hat, everyone can lose their collective minds and go insane - recession or maybe because the sky is blue today.

2. Yes, .22 ammo which is like, $7 a box of 50 was selling for $20-$30 if you could find someone to sell it to you. If you think comic collectors are fanatical about finding a stash of comics in an attic, I'd like to introduce you to some guys who want to buy .223 ammo. Groups of retired guys 5-6 people deep meet for breakfast, then they all wait at the sporting goods stores for when they open, they all individually walk in to each different store in a coordinated effort to locate ammo. Whomever finds the store with the ammo (which they limit one box per person), the guy texts the other men in the group, and they rush over to the store. Repeat every single day.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

riding around aimlessly for days and weekends at a time looking at stuff I would never consider buying.

There's some truth to that. I mean, 10-15 years ago I thought most people knew that everything was worth something on Ebay. Now, it's a whole different level - everyone knows things are worth money (see CGC-graded D&D Modules), but they also have a skewed sense that if it's worth something, they deserve to make 8x what they paid for it. Finding deals only seems to apply to people desperate for money, rather than lucking into something in the wild. At least in my neck of the woods.

I have no complaints, mind you - but your comment of driving around aimlessly is exactly what I did for several hours this past weekend.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:38 PM, Dr. Balls said:

1: Yes, I am not a gun hobbyist by any means, but I spent most of last year buying ammo when I could find it because society has shown me that at the drop of a hat, everyone can lose their collective minds and go insane - recession or maybe because the sky is blue today.

2. Yes, .22 ammo which is like, $7 a box of 50 was selling for $20-$30 if you could find someone to sell it to you. If you think comic collectors are fanatical about finding a stash of comics in an attic, I'd like to introduce you to some guys who want to buy .223 ammo. Groups of retired guys 5-6 people deep meet for breakfast, then they all wait at the sporting goods stores for when they open, they all individually walk in to each different store in a coordinated effort to locate ammo. Whomever finds the store with the ammo (which they limit one box per person), the guy texts the other men in the group, and they rush over to the store. Repeat every single day.

1. Not to go too deep, but did you do this during previous recessions?  When did you start? 

2. Are they doing it strictly to resell?  Or are they amassing a huge cache of ammo?  I get the former.  The latter is not a normal or rational thing to do.  It borders on pathological - especially the bolded part.  

On 6/15/2022 at 5:51 PM, Beastfeast said:

1. Not to go too deep, but did you do this during previous recessions?  When did you start? 

2. Are they doing it strictly to resell?  Or are they amassing a huge cache of ammo?  I get the former.  The latter is not a normal or rational thing to do.  It borders on pathological - especially the bolded part.  

1. I was not a gun owner during the last recession, so I don't know whether that was a thing or not. I started buying ammo as word trickled down that the shortage was getting worse (there has been a shortage I think for a couple years now). There are many theories including the government stockpiling ammo, considering taxing ammo, etc - but I don't care enough about the subject to really get too deep into the 'how' and 'why' it's a thing. If I can get 500-1000 rounds stored and not have to pay a super-premium on it, I consider that enough for me.

Having a reserve of ammo wasn't about society breaking down or the zombie apocalypse, it's more about if there is a major disruption in the supply chain there may not be a way to actually buy bullets. And we have had a major disruption in the supply chain, and there was no way to buy bullets (since I am not able to park myself in front of a sporting goods store every single day of the week). Unfortunately, the supply chain issue has proven that it can - and will again - happen, and it's a question of how bad or worse it may be the next time around. Which is probably resulting in even more stockpiling.

2. I think if you are that much into guns and ammo, my guess is that you have plenty amassed already, and you're not going to pay a premium on bullets just to stockpile. I mean, if you can buy something for $20 and 30 minutes later sell it for $40, my guess is that they will do that as long as the local market can handle it. I bought a ziplock bag of .22 ammo for $20 (50 rounds) off some kid I knew (I live way out of town, so I need .22 ammo regularly). I'd made probably 6 trips to various stores and couldn't find any - so factor in gas and time, and suddenly it doesn't seem that much of a markup when some 25 year old is handing you a zippy full of bullets. :shiftyeyes:

On 6/14/2022 at 2:27 PM, ExNihilo said:

a long investment horizon of about 30 years.  Time in the market > Timing the market.   Same reason I haven't sold anything (though I strongly considered it in February when news of the impending war first broke).

Buy, buy, buy during the comic book dip in 2022 but it also depends on your current age and how long u are going to live.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:43 PM, Dr. Balls said:

There's some truth to that. I mean, 10-15 years ago I thought most people knew that everything was worth something on Ebay. Now, it's a whole different level - everyone knows things are worth money (see CGC-graded D&D Modules), but they also have a skewed sense that if it's worth something, they deserve to make 8x what they paid for it. Finding deals only seems to apply to people desperate for money, rather than lucking into something in the wild. At least in my neck of the woods.

I have no complaints, mind you - but your comment of driving around aimlessly is exactly what I did for several hours this past weekend.

I am at the point where I have realized there is no point and the endless chasing of never ending stuff is not worth the time spent in acquiring it.   Spend 7 hours to search for a $13.99 Star Wars figure or pay $15.99. + shipping...

No brainer... I make enough that if I really want it I will pay that $22 total to get what I want so I can enjoy the weekend and spend it with loved ones.

Not much should change for me, as I stick to the cheap stuff for the most part. In fact, if people start selling off, I'm hoping to find even better stuff in the dollar bins! No more Sun Devils, Sonic Disruptors and Wonder Man for me, no! Now we'll be dining on quality titles like X-Force and Superman Man of Steel!