• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never seen this before: CGC graded AD&D module
1 1

64 posts in this topic

On 6/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

Prices on AD&D/D&D stuff has been going through the roof for a few years now. Unless it's something ultra high grade or in shrinkwrap I can't imagine slabbing having much of dramatic effect on mid to lower grade TSR products.

If you just want to read/use, it will be more economical to buy the PDFs on Drivethrurpg.com

Yeah, I wouldn't slab any printing of S1 in any grade. It's well-known, certainly, but neither rare nor particularly valuable. If, at some point, slabbed modules become more widely traded, then maybe high grade copies of the monochrome printings. Maybe.

That's not to say there aren't D&D products that are solid contenders for slabbing, though. Off the top of my head and not exactly in an order:

• B3 Palace of the Silver Princess. Recalled orange/tan printing only.
  • ST1 Up the Garden Path. I always wanted one of these personally, but their value shot up way past what I'm ever going to be willing to pay.
  • Ghost Tower of Inverness. 1979 printing only, but any of the UL corner variants.
  • Jade Hare, especially with cover, but honestly the coverless ones, too... if you could be assured that CGC wouldn't slap them with an NG label for being coverless. For the curious, the generic belief is that all distributed copies were coverless and that the small handful of copies with covers (estimates are fewer than 10) were handed out internally at TSR.
  • Lost Tamoachan: The Hidden Shrine of Lubaatum. Any of the UL corner variants, but not the reprints under the "Hidden Shrine" name.
  • Any of the H series modules in high grade, although for H1 Bloodstone Pass specifically, I think collectors would prefer shrinkwrapped copies that include the extra cutouts and booklets to even high grade slabs of the module itself. Maybe. Market's still young here. Regardless, if I had a loose H1 that I thought was, say, an 8.5+ book, I'd think about encapsulation.
  • Any of the R series modules (To the Aid of Falx, Investigation of Hydell, Egg of the Phoenix, Doc's Island) in collectable condition. I assume that their pre-print versions (from GenCon East 1981 and GenCon 14) would not be eligible for authentication, nor would any of R5 or later (except for their Polyhedron reprints, which aren't worth slabbing).
  • Any of the RPGA series modules that were actually full-sized releases (Rahasia, Black Opal Eye, Forgotten King, Elixir of Life), but not the revamped B7 Rahasia, RPGA5-8 from Polyhedron, or the late-90s era RPGA stuff that wasn't actually numbered "RPGA#. If CGC would authenticate them -- and their cover stock is weird enough that CGC might -- the original Daystar West edition of Rahasia (either printing!) would absolutely be slab-worthy also (likewise Daystar's West Pharaoh).
  • Chainmail, either Guidon Games edition (and either printing of 2nd edition), but probably not TSR copies.
  • Dragon magazine, #1 to 5ish, in high grade especially. Those aren't as rare or valuable as the modules I've listed (well, #1 goes for silly prices now...), but they're as much, or more, worth slabbing than Nintendo Power and the like. For the record, #4 is the rarest issue as confirmed by former employees, although it's nowhere near as valuable as #1s because #1.

I'm fairly sure that some of the other rarities, like Domesday Book (any issue!), Dwarven Glory, Lost Caverns of Tsojconth, the 1st printing of Palace of the Vampire Queen, or the April 1970 issue of Panzerfaust would not be eligible for authentication and slabbing for various reasons including ease of counterfeiting or lack of any actual binding whatsoever.

Edited by Qalyar

On 6/14/2022 at 6:38 AM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

It's yet another new revenue stream so why not grade them?

All I can say is I hope they have someone on the grading team who is an expert in TSR products. 

giphy.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 11:51 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

If we all banded together to get rid of the moon it would solve our werewolf problem. 

BD26EDE3-AEEF-4F01-9F9C-7B2D9BFA6E72.gif

On 6/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

If we all banded together to get rid of the moon it would solve our werewolf problem. 

download.jpg

On 6/14/2022 at 1:05 PM, adampasz said:

Ooh. "Fifth Printing". :eyeroll:

Quite a few of the D&D modules have a long history of distinguishable reprints. Although first printings are generally the most-wanted, there are some notable exceptions (actually, a lot like comics in that regard). Off the top of my head, the red-cover X1 is pretty tough to find, and I believe that's a fourth printing.

Unlike (mainstream, but not indie or small-press) comics, most of the D&D modules don't conveniently list a printing number in an indicia, so if CGC is going to be serious about this, being able to identify the printing and label the books correctly is actually important. In the case of S1, the fourth, fifth, and sixth printings all use the green cover. Fourth prints have an extra line of trademark text near the bottom of the cover and have the company address in a different font. Fifth/sixth printings are distinguished exclusively from the back cover; fifth prints do not have a product number at the BC LR; sixth printings do. I checked the back cover image on the ebay auction; CGC got this one correct.

But that's the sort of thing that I worry will lead to problems. (Most) D&D modules consist of a cardboard wraparound cover (with interior map) and stapled interior pages. However, the cover is not stapled -- or attached in any other way -- to the interior. So there's nothing to prevent marrying covers. That's... normally not going to be a problem, because it isn't like there's a supply of high grade covers without interiors. But sometimes it will be. For example, A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity first printings have defective illustrations on several interior pages. They were corrected for a second printing, but no changes were made to the cover (so there's no way to distinguish between them on shrink-wrapped copies). A third printing changed both cover and contents in several ways. Unless I'm overlooking something, it would very likely be possible to marry a first printing interior to a (presumably higher grade) second printing cover without risking detection.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:16 PM, DavidTheDavid said:
On 6/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

Prices on AD&D/D&D stuff has been going through the roof for a few years now. Unless it's something ultra high grade or in shrinkwrap I can't imagine slabbing having much of dramatic effect on mid to lower grade TSR products.

If you just want to read/use, it will be more economical to buy the PDFs on Drivethrurpg.com

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Do they even have a character limit on usernames?

:shiftyeyes:

On 6/14/2022 at 1:51 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 6/14/2022 at 12:21 PM, JollyComics said:

Probably Jeffro(o------------------------o)o turned to a werewolf while he changed his username.

Maybe Mr Burns has a device

My guess is he reached it or he'd still be going.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, The Meta said:

You guys are crazy

They put a mirror on the moon to deflect lasers so people can't blow it up

Duh 

How did they do that since no one has ever landed on the moon. It was all faked

Spoiler

:shiftyeyes:

On 6/14/2022 at 12:10 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

The problem is people with game-used copies asking factory sealed prices. 

On 6/15/2022 at 12:28 PM, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I should submit my French language T1-4 and sell it you foreign edition collectors. :wink:

The foreign modules, so far, haven't ever really done well in terms of market value. But the French T1-4 is a pretty cool one. T1-4 is always popular, and there are very few foreign supermodules.

@Qalyar is just killing it with useful info and* you tools are cluttering up things by obsessing about that stupid eighty-character username (no offense, dude) so please for the love of Drzzt go ahead and stop now pls k thx bai.

my first thought on seeing the OP was that someone has either just read Ready Player One or saw the movie because as the saying goes, but why

Edited by Sal
*stupid typo

On 6/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, Sigur Ros said:

My guess is he reached it or he'd still be going.

I was hoping it was longer :(

Spoiler

By the way, where is that out-of-context thread? :shiftyeyes: