• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tim Sale has passed away at 66
4 4

35 posts in this topic

I first became familiar with his work on those "Thieves World" graphic novels from the mid 80's, and his Grendel-Khan arc that completed the original "Grendel" series from Comico.

It was thrilling to see him hit the big-time with "Long Halloween" and I loved the use of his art in the NBC-TV series, "Heroes".

Sad and unexpected news indeed.  Love to his family, condolences to his colleagues and many fans.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:23 PM, goldust40 said:

RIP to great artist and person. Long Halloween was his masterpiece, but he was always quality in everything he did. A dreadful loss.

I agree. I remember going to the library to read graphic novels, and when I read Long Halloween I was amazed at the cleverness of the story and power of his art. May he Rest In Peace. God bless.  

Only got to meet him once, big fan of his stuff. As a Grendel and Batman fan, he's definitely one of the big ones. R.I.P.

Another heartbreaking loss.  He was one of the new innovative storytellers that got me back into comics in 1999.  His work on Spider-Man Blue and Daredevil Yellow was truly inspired and followed in the footsteps of such giants as Alex Toth and Jerry Grandenetti.  

My thoughts and condolences go out to his friends and family.  R.I.P., Tim, you gave us your best work and we'll always be grateful for it.

Tim Sale had an appealing and very unique style.  One of those where you see his work and it's unmistakably his.

He also had a unique way of doing commissions at shows when I got this piece.  His handlers wouldn't allow any lines to form at his table before he showed up.  When he did arrive, the line would form and he'd sketch for the people in line if they chose to purchase a commission...but he'd start a timer.  Basically he'd get as far as he could in 10 minutes and when the timer went off, he was done.  I love the result and he was very friendly while he was working on it.  It's one of the few non-TMNT sketchcovers I still have.  Green Goblin:

1761055365_DarkAvengers1-SaleGoblin.thumb.jpg.e658d9b57de51e81b7577f6c23ed5f91.jpg

Rest in Peace, Tim.