• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone tired of claim shows?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, KingOfRulers said:

I've never watched one of the claim shows, and have no interest. I don't understand the appeal of the concept.

I just want to buy original art. Having to schedule my evening around being available to sit through one of the shows to see 25 or so pieces would be such a hassle. Very time inefficient. I'd love for the dealers to post the items on their websites so that I can decide within 30 seconds if any of the offerings are of interest to me. I don't want to sit around for an hour or more in hopes of something being offered that I'm interested in.

The thing is that you have live haggling and they sometimes offer things prior to putting it up on the website.  I believe it is a spinoff from what was going on with Facebook in certain toy groups with live claim sales.  Those live claim sales for vintage action figures have proven to be VERY successful.   Since it is sold, I have no problem showing the piece I wanted... 

Every few days I do a search with Comic Art Tracker for Marvel Indiana Jones art.   I like getting the last page of the issues as Indiana Jones was designed to be a serial I like that "coming next" blurb with either the conclusion to a storyline or a cliffhanger. 

Burkey had apparently sold this piece over the YouTube Dueling Comic Dealer show.  I somehow missed it.   At least by my searches with Comic Art Tracker, it had never appeared in any searches until a few days before the 'episode' and I noticed it too late. 

However, you can't have them all and I am okay with that.  No great loss.  I am happy with what I have.  

Point is though, they do offer some fun stuff in the shows. 

109indy31.jpg

On 6/19/2022 at 9:38 PM, grapeape said:

I feel for you so much I make it a point to ask about PS art everywhere I go. If I find it and it’s reasonable I’ll let ya know. 👍 

Always appreciated, particularly if you let me know before someone else gets it (told too late, which has happened). Don't waste your time with Aparo or Adams, or anything from Trinity of Sin (ever). 

I can't draw worth spit. So, in moments of boredom, I've actually taken to writing new story synopses. 

And, there are the occasional non-PS purchases... :cry:

On 6/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, wurstisart said:

I am more than tired of them and even more that dealers use this instead of updating their websites and if they update the sites it shows all the items that will be on sale at the show.

Honestly I don’t have the time to watch these shows. I prefer a solid dealer website update instead.

Are the shows fun and extremely well done, absolutely. Kudos to Bill and the dealers, but as I said, give me a website update instead.

I am buying comic art for 25 years now and have bought zero from any of these shows.

yup, this sums it up perfectly . I'd also prefer a website update over having to sit through an hour + long show to see a handful of pieces. I've never bought from a 'claim show' and my last couple of new pieces have come from Heritage. 

Agree with much of the above -- unless you've got a lot of money and a fair amount of leisure time to just hang out watching these shows, they're kind of a drag.  I've seen a few and found them either rather boring (Glen and Bechara in particular felt uninspired) or just 'zany'/weird. And watching website updates that have everything already listed as 'sold' or 'on hold' due to the previous show only provides a second dose of annoyance.

Of the many shows I've missed, only one piece showed up for sale that I would have gone for -- Mike Burkey's Ghost Rider #18 cover -- but even then, I would have needed 10 months of time payments to buy it!  So...nothing really lost there.

Suffice to say I miss the days of big website updates where everything was actually for sale and had a price on it. (:

Dan

On 6/21/2022 at 7:53 AM, Drummy said:

Of the many shows I've missed, only one piece showed up for sale that I would have gone for -- Mike Burkey's Ghost Rider #18 cover -- but even then, I would have needed 10 months of time payments to buy it!  So...nothing really lost there.

You mean something that is especially desirable to you, a spontaneous big purchase based on a relatively small scan and not a lot of time to decide ?  On Dueling Dealers, Mike and Anthony will take time payments on "sizable" purchases.  It's pretty much assumed.  But you should mention that you'll need time payments when claiming / haggling.  In case of a tie, a claim with "payment in full" trumps those with time payments.  I think Mike mentioned he likes 6 months.  But you could've asked about stretching to 10 months.  Don't recall if it's been stated on Dealmakers but I guess the same follows.

Edited by Will_K

I would not say I am "tired" of them. I don't watch as many as I used to because time is seemingly always a factor. It's another avenue to buy art - I have no problem with that. I have added some pieces to my collection, including a page from an issue I had been seeking for a long time. The show does press the FOMO button so you need to be aware of what you really want so you don't buy too much on impulse. 

Re: a previous comment about the running time for claim shows

On 6/21/2022 at 10:12 AM, John E. said:

Felix’s art drop

and those other dealers that do the similar (e.g. Albert), those art drops are the ultimate in fast moving claim shows.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:38 PM, Will_K said:

and those other dealers that do the similar (e.g. Albert), those art drops are the ultimate in fast moving claim shows.

There's a difference somewhat. Felix and Albert now give a preview of what will be available during the drop. At least you can decide whether it's worth your time to "attend". Even without the preview, during the drop you can spend 10 minutes glancing over the art to decide whether there's anything you want or not.

What I dislike about the claim shows and why I stopped watching them is that there's no art preview, and I'm forced to sit through hours of bad jokes and theatrics just to see that the art isn't what I'd go for anyway. They're essentially a waste of time, and I'd often wish they'd get to the point. I know a lot of you have it on in the background while doing other things. For us Europeans, it eats into precious sleep time and I've come to realise that they're not worth staying up for. 

On 6/21/2022 at 10:15 AM, vodou said:

Because there aren't enough ways to spend in this hobby already? I dunno about the rest of you but -for me- there is always more art I like/want right this moment than there is immediate personal liquidity to purchase. Me? No FOMO issues at all :) 

I wish...

Flying pig gif 9 » GIF Images Download

I used to watch, but I lost interest.  The types of pieces I'm after really wouldn't show up in these shows.  I get why they exist, and I understand the idea of hanging out with friends in a chat.  Not for me, but I don't mind they exist other than what others have state... dealers and reps, please update your sites.  It's getting really bad and very unprofessional.  That is your craft, take some pride in it, and I promise you will see an uptick in sales.