• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Heroes Con Report
1 1

110 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2022 at 4:45 PM, Terry JSA said:

I had the pleasure of meeting him when I was volunteering at HeroesCon this year. It was on June 23rd, just a day before the actual convention took place.

I didn’t do much shopping since a lot of the dealers weren’t set up but I did catch Steranko setting up his booth. At first I didn’t want to bother him but I decided to stop by and say hello/introduce myself. 

After that was all said and done, I bought a pre-drawn headshot of Nick Fury from him since he wasn’t open to doing convention sketches. The cool part about it was that he made it out to me. 

Unfortunately, he wasn’t open to taking any photos either, even after I tried to bribe with him a $100 bill. lol

He would have done it for free if you had your girlfriend, sister or wife with you…:devil:

On 6/30/2022 at 7:30 PM, Robot Man said:

He would have done it for free if you had your girlfriend, sister or wife with you…:devil:

Not so, unfortunately.  My prettier half asked if we could get a selfie with him before the show opened on Sunday, and he declined.  Though to be fair, the problem may have been that I was there lol

Edited by mattn792

On 6/30/2022 at 11:35 AM, greggy said:

I remember in SDCC one year when I was walking by the signing area upstairs in the Sails Pavilion and a CGC witness that I knew called me over to help him get some books signed for the SS program.

For some reason, even though there were 3 people in line, he enforced a five book max but we were able to go back in line so it looked ridiculous when he could have just signed everything at once.

Also, at NYCC when I was the personal witness for Drew Fowlie one year, we caught him right before he was going to leave for dinner but that was when he started charging $10 per signature and we had around 70 books and his eyes lit up when we told him the number.  In that case, he just signed them all and it was quick.  I've never dealt with him in any other instances. 

Thank you @greggy !!!  

On 6/30/2022 at 8:59 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I suppose that would depend on your objectives at the show and whether you ca/want to allocate that much time to wait in line.

is it worthwhile to wait 80 minutes in line for Claremont to tell you a two-five minute story which may or may not be related to anything that interests you?

What is the opportunity cost of standing in his line for so long (other sigs, comic books that you missed out purchasing, original art purchases, commission sketch lists, etc)

I suppose it depends on the person, but this is the type of thing I highly miss about seeing Neal Adams 3 or 4 times a year. 

All I’d have to do is say, “Hey Neal, when DC Comics discovered Bernie Wrightson…” and that would be all it’d take to have him start…

“DC Comics? No no no, I discovered Bernie and brought him to DC! You know back then…” etc etc etc. 

Man, I miss that so much…

On 6/30/2022 at 12:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Wow, bagging on Jim Steranko? The dude is one of the last of the living legends. His work was so totally unique. I have met him many times and always enjoyed the experience. He is one of the best to his fans. I even enjoyed him hitting on my wife once. :roflmao:

Steranko is a phony. I know you all love the guy, but I’ve had conversations and debated with him and he’s a hypocrite. 
His Marvel work is outstanding. I grew up loving it and I still recognize how cool it is, especially compared to what else was out there at the time. 
He knows how to work a crowd. He knows how to work fanboys. He knows how to make money. Like I said, he’s made an entire career over the last 10 years based upon a very small amount of work within the business. That’s a talent within itself. 
I just personally don’t care for the guy. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:50 AM, thehumantorch said:

Agreed.  He was at the Calgary Expo recently and friends of mine in his line said it moved slowly because he spent so much time talking and telling stories and relating to fans.  Beats the hell out of some creator who is just trying to churn his line and make money.  And while Steranko's body of comic work isn't huge and he reuses and repackages his images over and over his art was wonderful and revolutionary.  I still love to open up his Nick Fury Agent of Shield books and go to the centerfold to view his amazing double splash pages.  The man's work is brilliant.

It was worth the wait in line!

On 6/30/2022 at 11:52 PM, Prince Namor said:

Steranko is a phony. I know you all love the guy, but I’ve had conversations and debated with him and he’s a hypocrite. 
His Marvel work is outstanding. I grew up loving it and I still recognize how cool it is, especially compared to what else was out there at the time. 
He knows how to work a crowd. He knows how to work fanboys. He knows how to make money. Like I said, he’s made an entire career over the last 10 years based upon a very small amount of work within the business. That’s a talent within itself. 
I just personally don’t care for the guy. 

I get it. He is absolutely a showbiz phony. But that's what I find so entertaining ha The tan, the teeth, the hair, the patter, it's all very superficial, but I find it amusing. Adding that to a genuine affection for his work, and I kinda love the guy.

Everyone has different things they admire. It’s all subjective. 
I remember meeting Earl Norem, probably the last show he ever did before he died, right there at Heroes Con in 2014. 
No one was at his table. 
No fanfare, no bluster, no hyperbole… just a guy who’s work I admired throughout my life… discovered him through the Marvel Magazine covers from the 70’s and then his Men’s Magazine paintings from the 50’s and 60’s…

The guy worked and worked and worked his whole life. Him and his wife were kinda freaked out by me, as I really let my inner fanboy out in meeting him. 

That’s someone I admire. He didn’t need to convince anyone he was great. Or go on Twitter every Sunday night and tell everyone how great he is. 

He just did great work for 5 decades and retired. I just find that admirable. 

On 7/1/2022 at 6:25 PM, F For Fake said:

I get it. He is absolutely a showbiz phony. But that's what I find so entertaining ha The tan, the teeth, the hair, the patter, it's all very superficial, but I find it amusing. Adding that to a genuine affection for his work, and I kinda love the guy.

You’d never expect showmanship from someone who had a career as a magician.  Not surprising. At least he doesn’t use pyrotechnics and lasers.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/1/2022 at 7:14 PM, telerites said:

Since this has taken a little of a Steranko turn -- Is the story true about Steranko slapping Bob Kane?  I think the story was for not crediting Bill Finger as co-Batman creator.

Steranko says it is. That’s part of his hypocrisy. He basically stabbed Jack Kirby in the back by championing Stan Lee’s sole creator BS, while being hyper critical of Bob Kane. 

Steranko of course signed the infamous Marvel contract about 10 years ago, giving him royalties on reprints of the Nick Fury work - and part of that agreement is - you can’t talk bad about Stan Lee. You have to promote the company line. 

Which he more than willingly did. 

I took him to task over it one night on Twitter, until he finally said, “I was there, you weren’t!”

”I replied “Not in 1961 you weren’t.”

He didn’t much care for that. It went downhill from there.