• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Heroes Con Report
1 1

110 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2022 at 7:13 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I was going to say that didn't "look" like Claremont lol 

Still glad you made it through the line I'm sure :cheers: 

Simonson was an especially challenging line as he wasn't charging anything and was doling out sketches to anyone who asked.  I would bet some people literally waited all of Saturday in his line.

Much love to the dealer wristband.  :bigsmile:

On 6/29/2022 at 7:37 PM, mattn792 said:

Simonson was an especially challenging line as he wasn't charging anything and was doling out sketches to anyone who asked.  I would bet some people literally waited all of Saturday in his line.

Much love to the dealer wristband.  :bigsmile:

Can I Get A Hell Yeah GIFs | Tenor

The one thing to note for future reference for anyone wanting a Claremont signature…he has a story for everything and anything so you’ll have to grin and bear it for 1-5 minutes just to get his damn signature.

oh, and if you bring him OA to sign, especially Byrne X-Men pages, he’ll stare at the page for a minute or two and reminisce about the good old days when writers used to receive 2 pages of OA per story from the Marvel art returns dept.

the aforementioned results in a highly inflated lineup for Claremont and a lot of pissed off fans who have to wait an hour+ just to get a sig or two.

Very fun report, thanks for sharing. I'd love a chance to meet Don Simpson, that's terrific that you ran into him. I really am going to have to get down to Heroes sometime. Maybe I'll put it on my calendar for next year, that will give me something  to work towards!

On 6/30/2022 at 8:48 AM, F For Fake said:

Hmm, I would think that a fan would enjoy having those interactions with a creator they admire. To me, a signature is just a memento of having met someone. The experience of meeting them is the real purpose. Sounds like Chris is trying to give fans a meaningful experience. I only met him once, when he did a signing at our shop about 25 years ago, and he was similarly pleasant and chatty, which was great.

I suppose that would depend on your objectives at the show and whether you ca/want to allocate that much time to wait in line.

is it worthwhile to wait 80 minutes in line for Claremont to tell you a two-five minute story which may or may not be related to anything that interests you?

What is the opportunity cost of standing in his line for so long (other sigs, comic books that you missed out purchasing, original art purchases, commission sketch lists, etc)

On 6/30/2022 at 1:50 PM, F For Fake said:

Stelfreeze is a genius. In a perfect world, he'd be a super star.

Definitely underrated.

Sometimes it never gets elevated beyond peer recognition amongst fellow artists, a bit like the similarly underrated John Paul Leon.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/30/2022 at 9:26 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Definitely underrated.

Sometimes it never gets elevated beyond peer recognition amongst fellow artists, a bit like the similarly underrated John Paul Leon.

Yes, Leon is a very apt parallel, as both are often referred to as "an artist's artist". 

Stelfreeze is definitely a singular talent, I love his color choices. I can always pick his stuff out just by the way the colors work together. Great talent.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:19 AM, mattn792 said:

Spoken like a true flipper.

And yet I didn’t get a single signature from Claremont or anyone else at the show.

I was in artists alley helping at my friends’ booth the entire weekend.  I was directly across from his line and had several people come from Claremont’s line to share their experiences with me.

perhaps you shouldn’t be so quick to judge others the next time you post.