• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody see these at your local Target?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2022 at 1:45 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Let's be real... comic books aren't aimed for kids either at $3.99, $4.99 a book. 

It's paper... and it's ridiculous. 

Yep. Because the cost of paper and ink is the only thing that goes into making a comic book. 

Edited by AceHazard

On 7/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, AceHazard said:

Yep. Because the cost of paper and ink is the only thing that goes into making a comic book. 

Well, Einstein...the point is everything that goes into it could be a lot cheaper.

They did it before... imagine that.

Untitled4.png

Edited by Sigur Ros

these are a ripoff. i saw them a few weeks ago and the figures are basically the same dollar tree figures you can buy for a buck.  that plus a $2.99 comic should make this no more than $5.99.  figures are ultra small and look really dinky compared to the marvel legends retros.  was so easy to pass on these

On 7/4/2022 at 12:09 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Well, Einstein...the point is everything that goes into it could be a lot cheaper.

They did it before... imagine that.

Untitled4.png

Adjusting for 2018 doesn't mean much now.  I get your point but adjust from 1990s-now and comic prices have held basically steady.  

Moon Knight #55 was $1.75 in 1993.  Adjusted for inflation, that's $3.44 today.  What are new Comics? $3.99?  Doesn't seem that far off.  

Preacher #1 was $2.95 in 1995.  That's $5.49 today.  

If you've been buying comics in the last 30 years, they have been steady.  I'm sure you can make an argument that they were too expensive then, too.  But a lot of the hemming and hawing is from you guys that were buying comics for $.10-.$15 and forget that the world exists outside your nostalgia.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

Adjusting for 2018 doesn't mean much now.  I get your point but adjust from 1990s-now and comic prices have held basically steady.  

Moon Knight #55 was $1.75 in 1993.  Adjusted for inflation, that's $3.44 today.  What are new Comics? $3.99?  Doesn't seem that far off.  

If you've been buying comics in the last 30 years, they have been steady.  I'm sure you can make an argument that they were too expensive then, too.  But a lot of the hemming and hawing is from you guys that were buying comics for $.10-.$15 and forget that the world exists outside your nostalgia.  

Just to help with the comparison, according to Comichron the average cover price of the Diamond top seller's list (304 comics) was $2.14 for April 1993 (https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/1993/1993-04Diamond.html) and the average cover price for the top 300 was $4.80 for April 2022 (https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2022/2022-04.html)

This particular inflation calculator (https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/) says $2.14 in 1993 would be worth $4.33 in 2022, so it's actually really close as far as that goes.  Might be better to then take those numbers and compare it to real wages or something to figure out what percentage of an average household income would be spent on comics, but that's a lot of work to likely result in "it's pretty close."

On 7/6/2022 at 1:42 AM, classicaaron said:

these are a ripoff. i saw them a few weeks ago and the figures are basically the same dollar tree figures you can buy for a buck.  that plus a $2.99 comic should make this no more than $5.99.  figures are ultra small and look really dinky compared to the marvel legends retros.  was so easy to pass on these

I actually know what Dollar Tree figures you are talking about. First, they're actually $1.25 now. Second, that's an incredible price for an action figure, yes. But their sculpting and painting is just sloppy and poorly refined, nothing like what you're getting here. Up close, there's no comparison. It's like comparing a fanzine to a luxuxry Artist's Edition, just not a fair comparison to make in terms of material and quality. 

Yes, the figures are a 3inch scale. I forgot about in my initial post. Spinmaster has the 4inch scale locked up, so they unfortunately couldn't have been 4 inches. I still stand by everything else I said. 

Comparing them to Marvel Legends is so wrong. They're not that, and aren't trying to be. Not even the 4 inch Retros. I'd honestly argue these are a better value than the Retros, and I own quite a few Retros. 

Kids need cheap ways into toy and comic collecting. This is both for a tenner, in expensive clamshell packaging too. 

I fully back these. I hope they do well, and we get some more obscure characters. 

On 7/5/2022 at 12:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

It was 2018 because that's the best visual example I saw. Point still stands. 

Best example would be 2020, which is not much more than 2018, not this record inflation we've seen since Jan 2021.  That would be ridiculous. 

But, since you picked 1993, and since I'm talking about kid's books, a 1993 issue of Batman Adventures cost $1.25.  In 2020 that would be $2.28.  Nowhere near the $3.99 they were charging for books then.

Not sure if that last convoluted comment was meant to be an age insult or what, but if so, it failed. 

On 7/5/2022 at 1:46 PM, wardevil0 said:

Just to help with the comparison, according to Comichron the average cover price of the Diamond top seller's list (304 comics) was $2.14 for April 1993 

Kid's books, not top sellers. 

Apples and oranges. 

I know for a fact they were selling for almost $1 less, at $1.25

On 7/6/2022 at 12:50 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Kid's books, not top sellers. 

Apples and oranges. 

I know for a fact they were selling for almost $1 less, at $1.25

That's some good goalpost moving. 

I don't even know what comics are being made for kids now but the one I did find is Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries.  Cover of $2.99.  That'd be $1.67 in 1993 money or $1.48 if use 2022 (which you should).  

The other ones I'm finding are like, $9.99 but have about 150-200 pages.  That's a hell of a deal.  

On 7/6/2022 at 12:48 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Not sure if that last convoluted comment was meant to be an age insult or what, but if so, it failed. 

It's meant to be a jab at people with rose colored glasses about their childhood and what is acceptable now vs then.  

There's plenty of ways to check the math on this.  Comics have basically stayed the same price since the early 90s, accounting for inflation - whether you use 2020 or 2022.  But it's very strange to not use the year and reality we're living in when making those calculations.

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/6/2022 at 4:00 PM, Beastfeast said:

That's some good goalpost moving. 

I literally said "kid's" in the first comment.

Maybe the issue is not the goalpost but your inability to follow a conversation.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:39 PM, Sigur Ros said:

I literally said "kid's" in the first comment.

Maybe the issue is not the goalpost but your inability to follow a conversation.

You having a bad day?  Need to talk about it?  

On 7/2/2022 at 2:45 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Let's be real... comic books aren't aimed for kids either at $3.99, $4.99 a book

It's paper... and it's ridiculous. 

Just because the word "kid" was in the sentence doesn't make it mean what you think it means.  

If a kid buys an X-Men comic today at $3.99 (I was 7 when I read my first X-Men comic...a kid), he's basically paying the same price as he would have in 1993.