• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL: To decide if we should add a rule to the Forum Marketplace
3 3

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

• Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.
    • No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2022 at 02:00 PM

190 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/19/2022 at 9:28 AM, Artboy99 said:

Can we also add another tweak to the sales section? In the title put US ONLY.

I am very weary of clicking open a sales thread to discover the seller wont ship outside the USA.

And, sellers should be required to state where they will ship to in the sales thread, equally frustrating is to find something you are interested in and post a "take-it!" to then via PM's discover the seller won't ship outside the USA though the sales thread did not specify that information.

While I didn't make it an official rule, I did make a note of it in the marketplace guidelines.

image.png

On 7/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, wombat said:

As poorly as the proposed one. 

Got it......you were just curious.

It's not really a deciding issue for you when voting.

Edited by Domo Arigato

What exactly would be a clear consensus on the other poll?

I guess this poll makes it clearer, but if you just aggregate the yeses vs nos in the other thread you get 128/161 (80%) to 33/161 (20%). This poll seems to be reasonably tracking those results without the constraints. Personally, the dominant vote (33%) was the clear winner to me.

Edited by bronze_rules

mike mentioned the low turn out for the last poll compared to overall number of users, which is a valid point. I wonder what # of boardies would have to vote to make a poll a sound sample size?

On 7/19/2022 at 7:09 PM, Bird said:

mike mentioned the low turn out for the last poll compared to overall number of users, which is a valid point. I wonder what # of boardies would have to vote to make a poll a sound sample size?

Unless I missed it....that's not what Mike said.

Below are two quotes he made after the first poll ended.  He was simply indicating that there was no clear consensus based on the choices offered, and suggested narrowing the focus down so there could be.  

As far as a sound sample size, I've never seen a poll conducted on the forums that needed a specific turnout to be considered valid.  The poll is open to all forum members.  It's been posted in the busiest section of the forums.  It's running for a full week.  And, I've made sure it's stayed on page one for the duration so far. 

Every member is allowed to have a say in it.....but you can't force people to vote.  If some chose not to, then they are choosing for others to make the choice for them.  And, so far at least, the votes seem to be leaning in a pretty clear direction.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, CGC Mike said:

Due to the fact that the majority of board members did not vote in favor of any of the choices, and taking into consideration the posts in this thread, there will be no rule added to the marketplace guidelines at this time.  Just by doing the math in my head,  about 161 people voted, and the most votes for any 1 choice was 54

On 7/16/2022 at 6:42 PM, CGC Mike said:

@Domo Arigato I think your poll was a success in terms of seeing where board members stand.  I agree that is seems members want to see a rule about sellers having the item in hand.  My advice would be not to give up and use the information from this poll and narrow down the choices in the next poll.  

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/19/2022 at 9:36 PM, Domo Arigato said:

about 161 people voted, and the most votes for any 1 choice was 54

far fewer votes this time around (so far)

and the dr balls book is now available again after all this work, isn't it?

Edited by Bird

• Administrator

To be clear, I was referring to the percentage of people who voted in the poll, not the percentage of board members.  I need to be sure people actually want a new rule about this.  In the last poll, 161 people voted, and the most votes for any 1 choice was 54.  The majority of the people voting didn't vote in favor of the top choice.  People complain there are already too many rules here.  With this poll, there are 2 choices.  It will decide weather or not this rule should be added.

On 7/19/2022 at 8:56 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be clear, I was referring to the percentage of people who voted in the poll, not the percentage of board members.  I need to be sure people actually want a new rule about this.  In the last poll, 161 people voted, and the most votes for any 1 choice was 54.  The majority of the people voting didn't vote in favor of the top choice.  People complain there are already too many rules here.  With this poll, there are 2 choices.  It will decide weather or not this rule should be added.

This.

Based on your earlier statements.....I understood you were looking for a clear, simple majority of votes.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, CGC Mike said:

But what we don't know is how any of the other rule choices from the first poll would have done in a poll like this. Perhaps every single one would have had a similar result. 

On 7/19/2022 at 8:49 PM, Bird said:

far fewer votes this time around (so far)

and the dr balls book is now available again after all this work, isn't it?

We're only two and a half days into a week long poll, and 60 votes have been cast.  If that pace continues, it will surpass the previous poll vote total.

And the Dr.Balls book is now available again after all this work because a new rule hasn't been passed to stop it.

Hence........the poll.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/19/2022 at 9:01 PM, wombat said:

But what we don't know is how any of the other rule choices from the first poll would have done in a poll like this. Perhaps every single one would have had a similar result. 

If the majority of people would rather have one of those other rules.....they should vote against this one and start their own poll to add one of them instead.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/19/2022 at 10:03 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If the majority of people would rather have one of those other rules.....they should vote against this one and start their own poll to add one of them instead.

That sounds like a terrible process. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:22 PM, wombat said:

That sounds like a terrible process. 

If you think that's a terrible process.....then you should get a majority to join you in voting against this rule and start your own better process.

On 7/19/2022 at 10:26 PM, Domo Arigato said:

If you think that's a terrible process.....then you should get a majority to join you in voting against this rule and start your own better process.

I thought the first poll was exactly the right one. But apparently that didn't work. 

On 7/19/2022 at 9:27 PM, wombat said:

I thought the first poll was exactly the right one. But apparently that didn't work. 

All I can do is try.

It's seems pretty obvious that a majority of voters want a rule to cover this, and I've had PM's from people indicating that they've felt this was needed for years.

Unfortunately........everyone wants it accomplished in a different manner, so people are going to gritch no matter what method is used.

And I really wouldn't care if this vote failed......as long as someone else is willing to step up with their better process and see it through. 

Again.....I dare them.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/19/2022 at 10:35 PM, Domo Arigato said:

All I can do is try.

It's seems pretty obvious that a majority of voters want a rule to cover this, and I've had PM's from people indicating that they've felt this was needed for years.

Unfortunately.......people are going to gritch no matter what method is used.

And I really wouldn't care if this vote failed......as long as someone else is willing to step up with their better process and see it through. 

Again.....I dare them.

I thought you did a good job with the first poll. I think any poll that is only going to have two choices (no rule and one of the rule options) is just inherently flawed.